- Get access
- Contains open access
- ISSN: 0047-4045 (Print), 1469-8013 (Online)
- Editor: Jenny Cheshire, FBA Queen Mary University of London, UK
- Editorial board
Recently published articles
Other sociolinguistics journals from Cambridge
- Global Ethnolinguistic Conflict, Redux
- 27 December 2018,
- by Stanley Dubinsky (University of South Carolina) In February 2018, a visit to Corsica by French President Macron refocused media attention on the issue of Corsican nationalism, a century old movement that seeks Corsican separation from France in “a centralized state with a single, national identity and only one official language.” In the same month, a Voice of America News article reported on Korea, noting that “Sixty Years After Division, Korean Language Has Gone in Separate Directions.” Over the past 10-20 years, language and ethnolinguistic identity issues have come to play an increasingly important role in domestic internal politics across the globe: in Israel, between Hebrew and Arabic speaking populations; in Spain, where Catalan speakers are newly vocal about autonomy; with the . . . → Read More: Global Ethnolinguistic Conflict, Redux...
- Call for Editor Proposals – Language in Society
- 17 December 2018,
- Professor Jenny Cheshire is completing her tenure in December 2019 as Editor of Language in Society (LiS). Cambridge University Press is now inviting applications for the position of Editor. A team of two Co-Editors will also be considered. Final appointment decisions will be made by the Syndicate of Cambridge University Press. The deadline for applications is February 1, 2018. Language in Society is an international journal of sociolinguistics concerned with language and discourse as aspects of social life. The journal publishes empirical articles of general theoretical, comparative or methodological interest to students and scholars in sociolinguistics, linguistic anthropology, and related fields. LiS aims to strengthen international scholarship and interdisciplinary conversation and cooperation among researchers interested in language and society by publishing work of high quality which speaks to a . . . → Read More: Call for Editor Proposals – Language in Society...
- English in the Movies by David Crystal
- 29 November 2018,
- I hear pop songs in English in every country I visit. Just back from a lecture tour around Italy, and I heard them in taxis, in hotels playing background music,...