page 166 note 1 For the Collegia see Waltzing, J. P.Étude Historique sur les Corporations Professionelles chez les Romains, Brussels, 1895–1900.
page 168 note 1 The church of S. Salvatore is variously called by different authors in Copella, alle Copelle, or delle Copelle. The modern spelling is Coppella.
page 168 note 2 Haym mentions an edition of this work printed in Rome, per L'Ercole, 1698. 4to. The Statuti of the Ferrari, dated 1839, quote an edition dated 1679, a copy of which exists in the Library of the German Institute in Rome.
page 169 note 1 Armellini, Chiese di Roma, 423 calls it S. Eusterio. According to him it was more generally known as S. Aurea in the 16th century and from the 17th onwards as the church of the Spirito Santo dei Napoletani. He thus distinguishes S. Eusterio from S. Eligio de' Ferrari.
page 176 note 1 Schulz, H. W.Denkmaeler der Kunst des Mittelalters in Unteritalien (Dresden, 1860. 4 vols. 4to.). Vol. iv. p. 180.
page 177 note 1 Pagnini, Gianfrancesco in his Storia Della Decima o Gravezza Della Moneta e Della Mercatura de' Fiorentini Fino al Secolo xvi (Lucca, 1765–1767. 4 vols. 4to, in the 4th vol. p. 143) prints an account of the alloys used in some of the cities of Italy, from a MS. by Giovanni d'Antonio de Uzzano.
On the standard used in Bologna vide: Lino Sighinolfi Sulla lega dell' argento e gli Statuti degli Orefici di Bologna durante la Signoria di Giovanni da Olleggio, Originally in Atti e Mem. di Storia Patria, p. l. prov. Romagna, vol. 22, Bologna, 1904, pp. 481–504. Also Salvion, G. B.: Il Valore della Lira Bolognese (originally appeared in the same journal, beginning with vol. 14. published separately, Bologna, 1902) 8vo, pp. 265.
page 182 note 1 Amongst the property of the Signoria of Florence in 1437, in an inventory in the archives at Florence, occurs the following: ‘A sword with silver gilt scabbard, with enamelled rosettes, and the knob of crystal. A hat of long beaver, lined with ermine, with a dove and two buttons of pearls.’ (Inventory of the Plate and Property of the Signoria of Florence, 1437.) Carte del Corredo della Signoria. Anni 1429–1457, fol. 15 in Archivio di Stato, Florence. This was the gift of Eugene IV. Golden roses sent to Florence also occur in the Inventories at Florence.
page 182 note 2 In 1392 Manfred d'Alagona, in Sicily, possessed a nef of silver on wheels. (Silvestri, : Dei pubblici Archivi in Italia in Rivista Sicula, Palermo, 1872, vol. viii, p. 240.)
page 182 note 3 On the Rosary vide Thurston, Herbert The History of the Rosary in all Countries (in Society of Arts Journal, London, 1902, p. 261, pp. 16, 6 illustrations).
page 183 note 1 Fumi, LuigiUsi e Costume Lucchesi: Superstizione (Lueca, Giusti, 8vo, 1905, pp. 63–65).
page 184 note 1 For bibliography regarding the Senators of Rome, vide: Cancellieri, Solenni Possessi, p. 381.
page 184 note 2 Bertolotti, Curiosità storiche della Svizzera raccolte nell' Archivio romano, in Bollet. Stor. della Svizzera Ital. Anno vii. 1885, p. 53.
page 185 note 1 Salerno, SalvatoreIllustrazione storica ed artistica di un antico ostensorio esistente nella Chiesa madre dedicata a S. Giorgio in S. Mauro Casteiverde. (Palermo, Fiore, 1879, 8vo, pp. 8.) In photographing this object the relic of the true cross has been removed in order that the enamelling behind it might be seen. These photographs were taken by me; they were published by Mauceri, Enrico in Arte, x (1907) fasc. i, p. 63.
page 187 note 1 This is apparently not the same as the reformed Statutes of Cardinal Sforza, mentioned in the Bando Generale of 1815, p. 4, which are dated July 17, 1563; in this same Bando Generale a Bando dated October 28, 1608, is also cited.
page 209 note 1 Two of these swords wore illustrated by Muntz, in L'Orfèvrerie Romaine de la Renaissance (Gaz. des B. Arts, vol. xxvii, pp. 413 and 417).
page 223 note 1 The Sumptuary Nicolas, Law of V dated 1451 will be found in Anecdota Literaria, vol. ii, p. 420 (Roma, 1773–83, 4 vols 4to). Paul II also issued a Sumptuary Law.
page 225 note 1 The Rose sent by Pius II to Siena in 1458 is still preserved at Siena. There is no rose in the British Museum as stated in these notes.