This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , LR Curtin , MA McDowell , CJ Tabak & KM Flegal (2006)
Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States,
1999–2004. JAMA 295,
2. Y Wang & T Lobstein (2006)
Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and
obesity. Int J Paediatr Obes 1, 11–25.
3. JO Hill , HR Wyatt , GW Reed & JC Peters (2003)
Obesity and the environment: where do we go from
here? Science 299, 853–855.
4. RW Jeffery & J Utter (2003)
The changing environment and population obesity in the United
States. Obes Res 11, Suppl.,
5. M Romon , A Duhamel , N Collinet & J Weill (2005)
Influence of social class on time trends in BMI distribution in
5-year-old French children from 1989 to 1999. Int
J Obes Relat Metab Disord 29, 54–59.
(2004) Extent of
overweight among US children and adolescents from 1971 to 2000.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 4–9.
7. J Wardle & D Boniface (2008)
Changes in the distributions of body mass index and waist
circumference in the adult population of England, 1993/1994 to
2002/2003. Int J Obes
(Lond) 32, 527–532.
8. AJ Stunkard & S Fox (1971)
The relationship of gastric motility and hunger. A summary of the
evidence. Psychosom Med 33, 123–134.
9. S Schachter , R Goldman & A Gordon (1968)
Effects of fear, food deprivation, and obesity on
eating. J Pers Soc Psychol 10, 91–97.
10. JE Meyer & V Pudel (1972)
Experimental studies on food-intake in obese and normal weight
subjects. J Psychosom Res 16, 305–308.
12. A Jansen , N Theunissen , K Slechten , C Nederkoorn , B Boon , S Mulkens & A Roefs (2003)
Overweight children overeat after exposure to food
cues. Eat Behav 4, 197–209.
13. CMA Haworth , R Plomin , S Carnell & J Wardle (2008)
Childhood obesity: genetic and environmental overlap
with normal-range BMI. Obesity (Silver
(Epublication ahead of print version).
17. R Otsuka , K Tamakoshi , H Yatsuya (2006)
Eating fast leads to obesity: findings based on
self-administered questionnaires among middle-aged Japanese men and
women. J Epidemiol 16, 117–124.
18. S Sasaki , A Katagiri , T Tsuji , T Shimoda & K Amano (2003)
Self-reported rate of eating correlates with body mass index in
18-y-old Japanese women. Int J Obes Relat Metab
Disord 27, 1405–1410.
19. RS Drabman , GD Cordua , D Hammer , GJ Jarvie & W Horton (1979)
Developmental trends in eating rates of normal and overweight
preschool children. Child Dev 50, 211–216.
21. AC Lindgren , B Barkeling , A Hagg , EM Ritzen , C Marcus & S Rossner (2000)
Eating behavior in Prader-Willi syndrome, normal weight, and
obese control groups. J Pediatr 137, 50–55.
22. RG Laessle , H Uhl & B Lindel (2001)
Parental influences on eating behavior in obese and nonobese
preadolescents. Int J Eat Disord 30, 447–453.
(1968) Obesity and
eating. Internal and external cues differentially affect the eating behavior of
obese and normal subjects. Science 161, 751–756.
24. LH Epstein , R Paluch & KJ Coleman (1996)
Differences in salivation to repeated food cues in obese and
nonobese women. Psychosom Med 58, 160–164.
25. MS Huda , JP Wilding & JH Pinkney (2006)
Gut peptides and the regulation of appetite.
Obes Rev 7, 163–182.
26. PA Tataranni & A Delparigi (2003)
Functional neuroimaging: a new generation of human
brain studies in obesity research. Obes Rev 4, 229–238.
27. A Delparigi , N Pannacciulli , DN Le & PA Tataranni (2005)
In pursuit of neural risk factors for weight gain in
humans. Neurobiol Aging 26, Suppl. 1,
28. A Delparigi , K Chen , AD Salbe , EM Reiman & PA Tataranni (2005)
Sensory experience of food and obesity: a positron
emission tomography study of the brain regions affected by tasting a liquid meal
after a prolonged fast. Neuroimage 24, 436–443.
31. JO Fisher , G Cai , SJ Jaramillo , SA Cole , AG Comuzzie & NF Butte (2007)
Heritability of hyperphagic eating behavior and appetite-related
hormones among Hispanic children. Obesity
(Silver Spring) 15, 1484–1495.
32. MS Faith , RI Berkowitz , VA Stallings , J Kerns , M Storey & AJ Stunkard (2006)
Eating in the absence of hunger: a genetic marker for
childhood obesity in prepubertal boys? Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 131–138.
34. MC Davidson , KM Thomas & BJ Casey (2003)
Imaging the developing brain with fMRI.
Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 9, 161–167.
35. LM Holsen , JR Zarcone , TI Thompson , WM Brooks , MF Anderson , JS Ahluwalia , NL Nollen & CR Savage (2005)
Neural mechanisms underlying food motivation in children and
adolescents. Neuroimage 27, 669–676.
36. LH Epstein , JJ Leddy , JL Temple & MS Faith (2007)
Food reinforcement and eating: a multilevel
analysis. Psychol Bull 133, 884–906.
37. B Saelens & LH Epstein (1996)
Reinforcing value of food in obese and non-obese
women. Appetite 27, 41–50.
38. JL Temple , AM Giacomelli , JN Roemmich & LH Epstein (2007)
Overweight children habituate slower than non-overweight children
to food. Physiol Behav 91, 250–254.
39. C Davis , S Strachan & M Berkson (2004)
Sensitivity to reward: implications for overeating and
overweight. Appetite 42, 131–138.
40. LH Epstein & JJ Leddy (2006)
Food reinforcement. Appetite 46, 22–25.
41. GJ Wang , ND Volkow , PK Thanos & JS Fowler (2004)
Similarity between obesity and drug addiction as assessed by
neurofunctional imaging: a concept review.
J Addict Dis 23, 39–53.
42. C Nederkoorn , C Braet , Y Van Eijs , A Tanghe & A Jansen (2006)
Why obese children cannot resist food: the role of
impulsivity. Eat Behav 7, 315–322.
43. BJ Rolls , A Drewnowski & JH Ledikwe (2005)
Changing the energy density of the diet as a strategy for weight
management. J Am Diet Assoc 105, Suppl. 1,
46. PA Quatromoni , DL Copenhafer , RB D'Agostino & BE Millen (2002)
Dietary patterns predict the development of overweight in
women: The Framingham Nutrition Studies.
J Am Diet Assoc 102,
48. KC Berridge & TE Robinson (2003)
Parsing reward. Trends Neurosci 26, 507–513.
49. J Wardle , C Guthrie , S Sanderson , L Birch & R Plomin (2001)
Food and activity preferences in children of lean and obese
parents. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 971–977.
50. T Van Strien , JER Frijters , GPA Bergers & PB Defares (1986)
The Dutch Eating Behavior Questionnaire
(DEBQ) for assessment of restrained, emotional, and
external eating behavior. Int J Eat Disord 5, 295–315.
51. AJ Stunkard & S Messick (1985)
The three-factor eating questionnaire to measure dietary
restraint, disinhibition and hunger. J Psychosom
Res 29, 71–83.
52. JA Shunk & LL Birch (2004)
Validity of dietary restraint among 5- to 9-year old
girls. Appetite 42, 241–247.
53. HM Snoek , T Van Strien , JM Janssens & RC Engels (2007)
Emotional, external, restrained eating and overweight in Dutch
adolescents. Scand J Psychol 48, 23–32.
54. A Lluch , B Herbeth , L Mejean & G Siest (2000)
Dietary intakes, eating style and overweight in the Stanislas
Family Study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1493–1499.
55. C Braet & T Van Strien (1997)
Assessment of emotional, externally induced and restrained eating
behaviour in nine to twelve-year-old obese and non-obese
children. Behav Res Ther 35, 863–873.
57. J Wardle , CA Guthrie , S Sanderson & Rapoport
(2001) Development of the
Children's Eating Behaviour Questionnaire.
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 42, 963–970.
58. S Carnell & J Wardle (2007)
Measuring behavioural susceptibility to obesity:
validation of the child eating behaviour questionnaire.
Appetite 48, 104–113.
61. V Viana , S Sinde & JC Saxton (2008)
Children's Eating Behaviour Questionnaire:
associations with BMI in Portuguese children. Br
(Epublication ahead of print version).
63. CL Roth , PJ Enriori , K Harz , J Woelfle , MA Cowley & T Reinehr (2005)
Peptide YY is a regulator of energy homeostasis in obese children
before and after weight loss. J Clin Endocrinol
Metab 90, 6386–6391.
64. JS Savage , JO Fisher & LL Birch (2007)
Parental influence on eating behavior: conception to
adolescence. J Law Med Ethics 35, 22–34.
65. MS Faith , KS Scanlon , LL Birch , LA Francis & B Sherry (2004)
Parent-child feeding strategies and their relationships to child
eating and weight status. Obes Res 12, 1711–1722.
66. RR Drucker , LD Hammer , WS Agras & S Bryson (1999)
Can mothers influence their child's eating
behavior? J Dev Behav Pediatr 20, 88–92.
68. E Jansen , S Mulkens & A Jansen (2007)
Do not eat the red food!: prohibition of snacks leads
to their relatively higher consumption in children.
Appetite 49, 572–577.
69. JO Fisher & LL Birch (1999)
Restricting access to foods and children's
eating. Appetite 32, 405–419.
71. LL Birch , SI Zimmerman & H Hind (1980)
The influence of social-affective context on the formation of
children's food preferences. Child Dev 51, 856–861.
72. LL Birch , DW Marlin & J Rotter (1984)
Eating as the ‘means’ activity in a
contingency: Effects of young children's food
preference. Child Dev 55, 431–439.
73. J Newman & A Taylor (1992)
Effect of a means-end contingency on young children's
food preferences. J Exp Child Psychol 53, 200–216.
74. JL Carper , FJ Orlet & LL Birch (2000)
Young girls' emerging dietary restraint and
disinhibition are related to parental control in child feeding.
Appetite 35, 121–129.
75. T Van Strien & FG Bazelier (2007)
Perceived parental control of food intake is related to external,
restrained and emotional eating in 7–12 year-old boys and
girls. Appetite 49, 618–625.
76. R Puhl & M Schwartz (2003)
If you are good you can have a cookie: How memories of
childhood food rules link to adult eating behaviours.
Eat Behav 4, 283–293.
78. SO Hughes , TG Power , FJ Orlet , S Mueller & TA Nicklas (2005)
Revisiting a neglected construct: parenting styles in
a child-feeding context. Appetite 44, 83–92.
79. H Patrick , TA Nicklas , SO Hughes & M Morales (2005)
The benefits of authoritative feeding style: caregiver
feeding styles and children's food consumption
patterns. Appetite 44, 243–249.
80. J Ogden , R Reynolds & A Smith (2006)
Expanding the concept of parental control: a role for
overt and covert control in children's snacking behaviour? Appetite 47, 100–106.
81. D Musher-Eizenman & S Holub (2007)
Comprehensive Feeding Practices Questionnaire:
validation of a new measure of parental feeding practices.
J Pediatr Psychol 32, 960–972.
82. R Plomin , JC DeFries , GE McClearn & P McGuffin (2001)
Behavioral Genetics, 4th ed.New York: Worth
83. MH Vickers , SO Krechowec & BH Breier (2007)
Is later obesity programmed in utero? Curr Drug Targets 8, 923–934.
84. JC Wells , S Chomtho & MS Fewtrell (2007)
Programming of body composition by early growth and
nutrition. Proc Nutr Soc 66, 423–434.
87. MW Gillman , SL Rifas-Shiman , CA Camargo Jr, CS Berkey , AL Frazier , HR Rockett , AE Field & GA Colditz (2001)
Risk of overweight among adolescents who were breastfed as
infants. JAMA 285,
88. CN Hales & DJ Barker (2001)
The thrifty phenotype hypothesis.
Br Med Bull 60, 5–20.
89. RA Waterland & RL Jirtle (2003)
Transposable elements: targets for early nutritional
effects on epigenetic gene regulation. Mol Cell
Biol 23, 5293–5300.
91. SN Moore , K Tapper & S Murphy (2007)
Feeding strategies used by mothers of 3–5 year-old
children. Appetite 49, 704–707.
93. R Plomin , K Asbury & J Dunn (2001)
Why are children in the same family so different?
Nonshared environment a decade later. Can J
Psychiatry 46, 225–233.
JM de Castro
of heritable influences on the food intake of free-living
humans. Nutrition 18, 11–16.
JM de Castro
influences the dietary energy density of free-living humans.
Physiol Behav 87, 192–198.
JM de Castro
of hunger relationships with food intake in free-living humans.
Physiol Behav 67, 249–258.
97. BM Neale , SE Mazzeo & CM Bulik (2003)
A twin study of dietary restraint, disinhibition and
hunger: an examination of the eating inventory (three
factor eating questionnaire). Twin Res 6, 471–478.
98. JM de Castro & LR Lilenfeld (2005)
Influence of heredity on dietary restraint, disinhibition, and
perceived hunger in humans. Nutrition 21, 446–455.
101. HH Maes , MC Neale & LJ Eaves (1997)
Genetic and environmental factors in relative body weight and
human adiposity. Behav Genet 27, 325–351.
102. G Koeppen-Schomerus , J Wardle & R Plomin (2001)
A genetic analysis of weight and overweight in 4-year-old twin
pairs. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 838–844.
103. S Carnell , CMA Haworth , CMH Van Jaarsveld , R Plomin & J Wardle (2008)
Genetic influence on appetite in children.
Int J Obes (London) ( In the
104. FM Breen , R Plomin & J Wardle (2006)
Heritability of food preferences in young
children. Physiol Behav 88, 443–447.
108. R Aubert , D Betoulle , B Herbeth , G Siest & F Fumeron (2000)
5-HT2A receptor gene polymorphism is associated with food and
alcohol intake in obese people. Int J Obes Relat
Metab Disord 24, 920–924.
111. CL Saunders , BL Chiodini , P Sham , CM Lewis , V Abkevich , AA Adeyemo & M de Andrade (2007)
Meta-analysis of genome-wide linkage studies in BMI and
obesity. Obesity (Silver
Spring) 15, 2263–2275.
112. W Yang , T Kelly & J He (2007)
Genetic epidemiology of obesity.
Epidemiol Rev 29, 49–61.
113. T Rankinen , A Zuberi , YC Chagnon , SJ Weisnagel , G Argyropoulos , B Walts , L Perusse & C Bouchard (2006)
The human obesity gene map: the 2005
update. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 529–644.
114. TM Frayling , NJ Timpson , MN Weedon (2007) A
common variant in the FTO gene is associated with body mass index and
predisposes to childhood and adult obesity.
Science 316, 889–894.
(2006) A common
genetic variant is associated with adult and childhood obesity.
Science 312, 279–283.
116. T Gerken , CA Girard , YC Tung (2007)
The obesity-associated FTO gene encodes a
2-oxoglutarate-dependent nucleic acid demethylase.
117. G Stratigopoulos , S Padilla , CA Leduc , E Watson , AT Hattersley , MI McCarthy , LM Zeltser , WK Chung & RL Leibel (2008)
Regulation of Fto/Ftm gene expression in mice and
humans. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294,
119. J Wardle , S Carnell , CMA Haworth , IS Farooqi , S O'Rahilly & R Plomin (2008)
Obesity-associated genetic variation in FTO is associated with
diminished satiety. J Clin Endocrinol
(Epublication ahead of print version).
preschoolers' self-regulation of energy intake.
122. L Cooke , J Wardle & EL Gibson (2003)
Relationship between parental report of food neophobia and
everyday food consumption in 2–6 year-old children.
Appetite 41, 205–206.
123. LJ Cooke , J Wardle , EL Gibson , M Sapochnik , A Sheiham & M Lawson (2004)
Demographic, familial and trait predictors of fruit and vegetable
consumption by pre-school children. Public Health
Nutr 7, 295–302.
124. R Puhl & KD Brownell (2001)
Bias, discrimination, and obesity.
Obes Res 9, 788–805.
125. RM Puhl , CA Moss-Racusin & MB Schwartz (2007)
Internalization of weight bias: Implications for binge
eating and emotional well-being. Obesity
(Silver Spring) 15, 19–23.
126. PJ Teixeira , AL Palmeira , TL Branco , SS Martins , CS Minderico , JT Barata , AM Silva & LB Sardinha (2004)
Who will lose weight? A reexamination of predictors of
weight loss in women. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 1, 12.
127. HD McCarthy , KV Jarrett & HF Crawley (2001)
The development of waist circumference percentiles in British
children aged 5·0–16·9 y.
Eur J Clin Nutr 55, 902–907.
128. LL Birch , JO Fisher , K Grimm-Thomas , CN Markey , R Sawyer & SL Johnson (2001)
Confirmatory factor analysis of the Child Feeding
Questionnaire: a measure of parental attitudes, beliefs and practices
about child feeding and obesity proneness.