This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
J West , RF Logan , PG Hill
(2003) Seroprevalence, correlates, and characteristics of undetected coeliac disease in England. Gut
2. C Catassi , D Kryszak , B Bhatti (2010) Natural history of celiac disease autoimmunity in a USA cohort followed since 1974. Ann Med 42, 530–538.
3. S Lohi , K Mustalahti , K Kaukinen (2007) Increasing prevalence of coeliac disease over time. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26, 1217–1225.
4. DA van Heel & J West (2006) Recent advances in coeliac disease. Gut 55, 1037–1046.
TP Chorzelski , J Sulej , H Tchorzewska
(1983) IgA class endomysium antibodies in dermatitis herpetiformis and coeliac disease. Ann N Y Acad Sci
6. DA Leffler & D Schuppan (2010) Update on serologic testing in celiac disease. Am J Gastroenterol 105, 2520–2524.
8. R Richey , P Howdle , E Shaw (2009) Recognition and assessment of coeliac disease in children and adults: summary of NICE guidance. Br Med J 338, b1684.
P Toftedal , C Nielsen , JT Madsen
(2010) Positive predictive value of serological diagnostic measures in celiac disease. Clin Chem Lab Med
MW James & BB Scott (2000) Endomysial antibody in the diagnosis and management of coeliac disease. Postgrad Med J
11. NR Lewis & BB Scott (2006) Systematic review: the use of serology to exclude or diagnose coeliac disease (a comparison of the endomysial and tissue transglutaminase antibody tests). Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24, 47–54.
W Dieterich , T Ehnis , M Bauer
(1997) Identification of tissue transglutaminase as the autoantigen of celiac disease. Nat Med
ID Hill (2005) What are the sensitivity and specificity of serologic tests for celiac disease? Do sensitivity and specificity vary in different populations?
128, Suppl 1, S25–S32.
14. AJ Naiyer , L Hernandez , EJ Ciaccio (2009) Comparison of commercially available serologic kits for the detection of celiac disease. J Clin Gastroenterol 43, 225–232.
15. RC Wong , RJ Wilson , RH Steele (2002) A comparison of 13 guinea pig and human anti-tissue transglutaminase antibody ELISA kits. J Clin Pathol 55, 488–494.
16. K Rostami , J Kerckhaert , R Tiemessen (1999) Sensitivity of antiendomysium and antigliadin antibodies in untreated celiac disease: disappointing in clinical practice. Am J Gastroenterol 94, 888–894.
17. A Rostom , C Dubé , A Cranney (2005) The diagnostic accuracy of serologic tests for celiac disease: a systematic review. Gastroenterology 128, Suppl 1, S38–S46.
18. MM Walker , JA Murray , J Ronkainen (2010) Detection of celiac disease and lymphocytic enteropathy by parallel serology and histopathology in a population-based study. Gastroenterology 139, 112–119.
19. NR Lewis & BB Scott (2010) Meta-analysis: deamidated gliadin peptide antibody and tissue transglutaminase antibody compared as screening tests for coeliac disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 31, 73–81.
D Basso , G Guariso , P Fogar
(2009) Antibodies against synthetic deamidated gliadin peptides for celiac disease diagnosis and follow-up in children. Clin Chem
21. K Kurppa , K Lindfors , P Collin (2011) Antibodies against deamidated gliadin peptides in early-stage celiac disease. J Clin Gastroenterol 45, 673–678.
S Niveloni , E Sugai , A Cabanne
(2007) Antibodies against synthetic deamidated gliadin peptides as predictors of celiac disease: prospective assessment in an adult population with a high pretest probability of disease. Clin Chem
U Volta , A Granito , E Fiorini
(2008) Usefulness of antibodies to deamidated gliadin peptides in celiac disease diagnosis and follow-up. Dig Dis Sci
U Volta , A Granito , C Parisi
(2010) Deamidated gliadin peptide antibodies as a routine test for celiac disease: a prospective analysis. J Clin Gastroenterol
25. S Ferre-López , C Ribes-Koninckx , C Genzor (2004) Immunochromatographic sticks for tissue transglutaminase and antigliadin antibody screening in celiac disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2, 480–484.
V Baldas , A Tommasini , C Trevisiol
(2000) Development of a novel rapid non-invasive screening test for coeliac disease. Gut
27. T Raivio , K Kaukinen , E Nemes (2006) Self transglutaminase-based rapid coeliac disease antibody detection by a lateral flow method. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24, 147–154.
28. T Raivio , I Korponay-Szabó , P Collin (2007) Performance of a new rapid whole blood coeliac test in adult patients with low prevalence of endomysial antibodies. Dig Liver Dis 39, 1057–1063.
T Raivio , IR Korponay-Szabó , T Paajanen
(2008) Comparison of a novel whole blood transglutaminase-based ELISA with a whole blood rapid antibody test and established conventional serological celiac disease assays. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr
30. IR Korponay-Szabó , T Raivio , K Laurila (2005) Coeliac disease case finding and diet monitoring by point-of-care testing. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22, 729–737.
IR Korponay-Szabó , K Szabados , J Pusztai
(2007) Population screening for coeliac disease in primary care by district nurses using a rapid antibody test: diagnostic accuracy and feasibility study. Br Med J
32. AD Hopper , SS Cross , DP Hurlstone (2007) Pre-endoscopy serological testing for coeliac disease: evaluation of a clinical decision tool. Br Med J 334, 729.
34. A Tursi , G Brandimarte & GM Giorgetti (2003) Prevalence of antitissue transglutaminase antibodies in different degrees of intestinal damage in celiac disease. J Clin Gastroenterol 36, 219–221.
A Tursi , W Elisei , GM Giorgetti
(2009) Complications in celiac disease under gluten-free diet. Dig Dis Sci
JF Ludvigsson , SM Montgomery , A Ekbom
(2009) Small-intestinal histopathology and mortality risk in celiac disease. JAMA
37. S Lohi , M Mäki , H Rissanen (2009) Prognosis of unrecognized coeliac disease as regards mortality: a population-based cohort study. Ann Med 41, 508–515.
SD Johnston , RG Watson , SA McMillan
(1998) Coeliac disease detected by screening is not silent – simply unrecognized. Q J Med
39. A Rubio-Tapia , RA Kyle , EL Kaplan (2009) Increased prevalence and mortality in undiagnosed celiac disease. Gastroenterology 137, 88–93.
MH Metzger , M Heier , M Mäki
(2006) Mortality excess in individuals with elevated IgA anti-transglutaminase antibodies: the KORA/MONICA Augsburg cohort study 1989–1998. Eur J Epidemiol
41. JD Godfrey , TL Brantner , W Brinjikji (2010) Morbidity and mortality among older individuals with undiagnosed celiac disease. Gastroenterology 139, 763–769.
JF Ludvigsson , SM Montgomery & A Ekbom (2005) Celiac disease and risk of adverse fetal outcome: a population-based cohort study. Gastroenterology
44. L Greco , A Veneziano , L Di Donato (2004) Undiagnosed coeliac disease does not appear to be associated with unfavourable outcome of pregnancy. Gut 53, 149–151.
D Meyer , S Stavropolous , B Diamond
(2001) Osteoporosis in a north American adult population with celiac disease. Am J Gastroenterol
46. GR Corazza , A Di Sario , L Cecchetti (1996) Influence of pattern of clinical presentation and of gluten-free diet on bone mass and metabolism in adult coeliac disease. Bone 18, 525–530.
C Cellier , C Flobert , C Cormier
(2000) Severe osteopenia in symptom-free adults with a childhood diagnosis of coeliac disease. Lancet
48. J West , RF Logan , TR Card (2003) Fracture risk in people with celiac disease: a population-based cohort study. Gastroenterology 125, 429–436.
J West , RF Logan , CJ Smith
(2004) Malignancy and mortality in people with coeliac disease: population based cohort study. Br Med J
RF Logan (2009) Malignancy in unrecognised coeliac disease: a nail in the coffin for mass screening?
52. S Lohi , M Mäki , J Montonen (2009) Malignancies in cases with screening-identified evidence of coeliac disease: a long-term population-based cohort study. Gut 58, 643–647.
53. G Corrao , GR Corazza , V Bagnardi (2001) Mortality in patients with coeliac disease and their relatives: a cohort study. Lancet 358, 356–361.
DA Leffler , J Edwards-George , M Dennis
(2008) Factors that influence adherence to a gluten-free diet in adults with celiac disease. Dig Dis Sci
F Nachman , E Mauriño , H Vázquez
(2009) Quality of life in celiac disease patients: prospective analysis on the importance of clinical severity at diagnosis and the impact of treatment. Dig Liver Dis
56. NJ Hall , G Rubin & A Charnock (2009) Systematic review: adherence to a gluten-free diet in adult patients with coeliac disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 30, 315–330.
57. R Shamir , O Hernell & M Leshno (2006) Cost-effectiveness analysis of screening for celiac disease in the adult population. Med Decis Making 26, 282–293.
58. SM Mein & U Ladabaum (2004) Serological testing for coeliac disease in patients with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 19, 1199–1210.
59. SD Dorn & DB Matchar (2008) Cost-effectiveness analysis of strategies for diagnosing celiac disease. Dig Dis Sci 53, 680–688.
61. KH Long , A Rubio-Tapia , AE Wagie (2010) The economics of coeliac disease: a population-based study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 32, 261–269.
AM Gray & IN Papanicolas (2010) Impact of symptoms on quality of life before and after diagnosis of coeliac disease: results from a UK population survey. BMC Health Serv Res
63. AD Hopper , M Hadjivassiliou , S Butt (2007) Adult coeliac disease. Br Med J 335, 558–562.
64. C Catassi , IM Rätsch , E Fabiani (1994) Coeliac disease in the year 2000: exploring the iceberg. Lancet 343, 200–203.
S Simell , S Hoppu , A Hekkala
(2007) Fate of five celiac disease-associated antibodies during normal diet in genetically at-risk children observed from birth in a natural history study. Am J Gastroenterol
66. M Mariné , F Fernández-Bañares , M Alsina (2009) Impact of mass screening for gluten-sensitive enteropathy in working population. World J Gastroenterol 15, 1331–1338.
67. H Hin , G Bird , P Fisher (1999) Coeliac disease in primary care: case finding study. Br Med J 318, 164–167.
68. DS Sanders , D Patel , TJ Stephenson (2003) A primary care cross-sectional study of undiagnosed adult coeliac disease. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15, 407–413.