1. Clarke R, Smith AD, Jobst KA, Refsum H, Sutton L & Ueland PM (1998) Folate, vitamin B12, and serum total homocysteine levels in confirmed Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol 55, 1449–1455.
2. Clarke R (2006) Vitamin B12, folic acid, and the prevention of dementia. N Engl J Med 354, 2817–2819.
3. Homocysteine-Lowering Trialists' Collaboration (2005) Dose-dependent effects of folic acid on plasma homocysteine concentrations. A meta-analysis of the randomised trials. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 806–812.
4. Joosten E, Lesaffre E, Riezler R, Ghekiere V, Dereymaeker L, Pelemans W & Dejaeger E (1997) Is metabolic evidence for vitamin B-12 and folate deficiency more frequent in elderly patients with Alzheimer's disease? J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 52, 76–79.
5. McCaddon A, Davies G, Hudson P, Tandy S & Cattell H (1998) Total serum homocysteine in senile dementia of Alzheimer type. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 13, 235–239.
6. Riggs KM, Spiro A 3rd, Tucker K & Rush D (1996) Relations of vitamin B-12, vitamin B-6, folate, and homocysteine to cognitive performance in the Normative Aging Study. Am J Clin Nutr 63, 306–314.
7. McCaddon A, Hudson P, Davies G, Hughes A, Williams JH & Wilkinson C (2001) Homocysteine and cognitive decline in healthy elderly. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 12, 309–313.
8. Morris MS, Jacques PF, Rosenberg IH & Selhub J (2001) Hyperhomocysteinemia associated with poor recall in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Clin Nutr 73, 927–933.
9. Duthie SJ, Whalley LJ, Collins AR, Leaper S, Berger K & Deary IJ (2002) Homocysteine, B vitamin status, and cognitive function in the elderly. Am J Clin Nutr 75, 908–913.
10. Budge M, Johnston C, Hogervorst E, de Jager C, Milwain E, Iversen SD, Barnetson L, King E & Smith AD (2000) Plasma total homocysteine and cognitive performance in a volunteer elderly population. Ann N Y Acad Sci 903, 407–410.
11. Tucker KL, Qiao N, Scott T, Rosenberg I & Spiro A 3rd (2005) High homocysteine and low B vitamins predict cognitive decline in aging men: the Veterans Affairs Normative Aging Study. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 627–635.
12. Kado DM, Bucur A, Selhub J, Rowe JW & Seeman T (2002) Homocysteine levels and decline in physical function: MacArthur Studies of Successful Aging. Am J Med 113, 537–542.
13. Mooijaart SP, Gussekloo J, Frolich M, Jolles J, Stott DJ, Westendorp RG & de Craen AJ (2005) Homocysteine, vitamin B-12, and folic acid and the risk of cognitive decline in old age: the Leiden 85-Plus study. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 866–871.
14. Nurk E, Refsum H, Tell GS, Engedal K, Vollset SE, Ueland PM, Nygaard HA & Smith AD (2005) Plasma total homocysteine and memory in the elderly: the Hordaland Homocysteine Study. Ann Neurol 58, 847–857.
15. Prins ND, Den Heijer T, van Dijk EJ, Jolles J, Koudestall PJ, Hofman A, Clarke R & Breteler MMB (2006) Homocysteine and cognitive function in the elderly: The Rotterdam study. Neurology 59, 1375–1380.
16. Seshadri S, Beiser A, Selhub J, Jacques PF, Rosenberg IH, D'Agostino RB, Wilson PW & Wolf PA (2002) Plasma homocysteine as a risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 346, 476–483.
17. Ravaglia G, Forti P, Maioli F, Martelli M, Servadei L, Brunetti N, Porcellini E & Licastro F (2005) Homocysteine and folate as risk factors for dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 636–643.
18. Luchsinger JA, Tang MX, Shea S, Miller J, Green R & Mayeux R (2004) Plasma homocysteine levels and risk of Alzheimer disease. Neurology 62, 1972–1976.
19. Clarke R, Refsum H, Birks J et al. (2003) Screening for vitamin B12 and folate deficiency in older people. Am J Clin Nutr 77, 1241–1247.
20. Morris MC, Evans DA, Bienias JL, Tangney CC, Hebert LE, Scherr PA & Schneider JA (2005) Dietary folate and vitamin B12 intake and cognitive decline among community-dwelling older persons. Arch Neurol 62, 641–645.
21. Morris MS, Jacques PF, Rosenberg IW & Selhub J (2007) Folate and vitamin B-12 status in relation to anemia, macrocytosis, and cognitive impairment in older Americans in the age of folic acid fortification. Am J Clin Nutr 85, 193–200.
22. Lindenbaum J, Healton EB, Savage DG, Brust JC, Garrett TJ, Podell ER, Marcell PD, Stabler SP & Allen RH (1988) Neuropsychiatric disorders caused by cobalamin deficiency in the absence of anemia or macrocytosis. N Engl J Med 318, 1720–1728.
23. Smulders YM & Stehouwer CDA (2005) Folate metabolism and cardiovascular disease. Seminars Vasc Med 5, 87–97.
24. Schneede J & Ueland PM (2005) Novel and established markers of cobalamin deficiency: complimentary or exclusive diagnostic strategies. Seminars Vasc Med 5, 140–155.
25. Clarke R, Grimley Evans J, Schneede J et al. (2004) Vitamin B12 and folate deficiency in older people. Age Ageing 33, 34–41.
26. Hin H, Clarke R, Sherliker P et al. (2006) Clinical relevance of low serum vitamin B12 concentrations in older people: the Banbury B12 study. Age Ageing 35, 416–422.
27. Clarke R, Sherliker S, Hin H et al. (2007) Detection of vitamin B12 deficiency in older people by measuring vitamin B12, or the active fraction of vitamin B12, holotranscobalamin. Clin Chem 53, 963–970.
28. Cummings JL (2004) Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 351, 56–67.
29. Vermeer SE, van Dijk EJ, Koudstaal PJ et al. (2002) Homocysteine, silent brain infarcts, and white matter lesions: The Rotterdam Scan Study. Ann Neurology 51, 285–290.
30. den Heijer T, Vermeer SE, Clarke R et al. (2003) Homocysteine and brain atrophy on MRI of non-demented elderly. Brain 126, 170–175.
31. Department of Health (2006) Folate and Disease Prevention. London: The Stationery Office.
32. Mills JL, Von Kohorn I, Conley MR et al. (2003) Low vitamin B-12 concentrations in patients without anemia: the effect of folic acid fortification of grain. Am J Clin Nutr 77, 1474–1477.
33. Metz J, McNeil AR & Levin M (2004) The relationship between serum cobalamin concentration and mean red cell volume at varying concentrations of serum folate. Clin Lab Haematol 26, 323–325.
34. Dhar M, Bellevue R & Carmel R (2003) Pernicious anemia with neuropsychiatric dysfunction in a patient with sickle cell anemia treated with folate supplementation. N Engl J Med 348, 2204–2207.
35. Pfeiffer CM, Caudill SP, Gunter EW, Osterloh J & Sampson EJ (2005) Biochemical indicators of B vitamin status in the US population after folic acid fortification: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999–2000. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 442–450.
36. B-Vitamin Treatment Trialists' Collaboration (2006) Homocysteine-lowering trials for prevention of cardiovascular events: a review of the design and power of the large randomized trials. Am Heart J 151, 282–287.
37. Durga J, van Boxtel MP, Schouten EG, Kok FJ, Jolles J, Katan MB & Verhoef P (2007) Effect of 3-year folic acid supplementation on cognitive function in older adults in the FACIT trial: a randomised, double blind, controlled trial. Lancet 369, 208–216.
38. Balk EM, Raman G, Tatsioni A, Chung M, Lau J & Rosenberg IW (2007) Vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid supplementation and cognitive function: a systematic review of randomized trials. Arch Intern Med 167, 21–30.