1. Clarke, R, Smith, AD, Jobst, KA, Refsum, H, Sutton, L & Ueland, PM (1998) Folate, vitamin B12, and serum total homocysteine levels in confirmed Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol 55, 1449–1455.
2. Clarke, R (2006) Vitamin B12, folic acid, and the prevention of dementia. N Engl J Med 354, 2817–2819.
3. Homocysteine-Lowering Trialists' Collaboration (2005) Dose-dependent effects of folic acid on plasma homocysteine concentrations. A meta-analysis of the randomised trials. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 806–812.
4. Joosten, E, Lesaffre, E, Riezler, R, Ghekiere, V, Dereymaeker, L, Pelemans, W & Dejaeger, E (1997) Is metabolic evidence for vitamin B-12 and folate deficiency more frequent in elderly patients with Alzheimer's disease? J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 52, 76–79.
5. McCaddon, A, Davies, G, Hudson, P, Tandy, S & Cattell, H (1998) Total serum homocysteine in senile dementia of Alzheimer type. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 13, 235–239.
6. Riggs, KM, Spiro, A 3rd, Tucker, K & Rush, D (1996) Relations of vitamin B-12, vitamin B-6, folate, and homocysteine to cognitive performance in the Normative Aging Study. Am J Clin Nutr 63, 306–314.
7. McCaddon, A, Hudson, P, Davies, G, Hughes, A, Williams, JH & Wilkinson, C (2001) Homocysteine and cognitive decline in healthy elderly. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 12, 309–313.
8. Morris, MS, Jacques, PF, Rosenberg, IH & Selhub, J (2001) Hyperhomocysteinemia associated with poor recall in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Clin Nutr 73, 927–933.
9. Duthie, SJ, Whalley, LJ, Collins, AR, Leaper, S, Berger, K & Deary, IJ (2002) Homocysteine, B vitamin status, and cognitive function in the elderly. Am J Clin Nutr 75, 908–913.
10. Budge, M, Johnston, C, Hogervorst, E, de Jager, C, Milwain, E, Iversen, SD, Barnetson, L, King, E & Smith, AD (2000) Plasma total homocysteine and cognitive performance in a volunteer elderly population. Ann N Y Acad Sci 903, 407–410.
11. Tucker, KL, Qiao, N, Scott, T, Rosenberg, I & Spiro, A 3rd (2005) High homocysteine and low B vitamins predict cognitive decline in aging men: the Veterans Affairs Normative Aging Study. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 627–635.
12. Kado, DM, Bucur, A, Selhub, J, Rowe, JW & Seeman, T (2002) Homocysteine levels and decline in physical function: MacArthur Studies of Successful Aging. Am J Med 113, 537–542.
13. Mooijaart, SP, Gussekloo, J, Frolich, M, Jolles, J, Stott, DJ, Westendorp, RG & de Craen, AJ (2005) Homocysteine, vitamin B-12, and folic acid and the risk of cognitive decline in old age: the Leiden 85-Plus study. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 866–871.
14. Nurk, E, Refsum, H, Tell, GS, Engedal, K, Vollset, SE, Ueland, PM, Nygaard, HA & Smith, AD (2005) Plasma total homocysteine and memory in the elderly: the Hordaland Homocysteine Study. Ann Neurol 58, 847–857.
15. Prins, ND, Den Heijer, T, van Dijk, EJ, Jolles, J, Koudestall, PJ, Hofman, A, Clarke, R & Breteler, MMB (2006) Homocysteine and cognitive function in the elderly: The Rotterdam study. Neurology 59, 1375–1380.
16. Seshadri, S, Beiser, A, Selhub, J, Jacques, PF, Rosenberg, IH, D'Agostino, RB, Wilson, PW & Wolf, PA (2002) Plasma homocysteine as a risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 346, 476–483.
17. Ravaglia, G, Forti, P, Maioli, F, Martelli, M, Servadei, L, Brunetti, N, Porcellini, E & Licastro, F (2005) Homocysteine and folate as risk factors for dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 636–643.
18. Luchsinger, JA, Tang, MX, Shea, S, Miller, J, Green, R & Mayeux, R (2004) Plasma homocysteine levels and risk of Alzheimer disease. Neurology 62, 1972–1976.
19. Clarke, R, Refsum, H, Birks, J et al. (2003) Screening for vitamin B12 and folate deficiency in older people. Am J Clin Nutr 77, 1241–1247.
20. Morris, MC, Evans, DA, Bienias, JL, Tangney, CC, Hebert, LE, Scherr, PA & Schneider, JA (2005) Dietary folate and vitamin B12 intake and cognitive decline among community-dwelling older persons. Arch Neurol 62, 641–645.
21. Morris, MS, Jacques, PF, Rosenberg, IW & Selhub, J (2007) Folate and vitamin B-12 status in relation to anemia, macrocytosis, and cognitive impairment in older Americans in the age of folic acid fortification. Am J Clin Nutr 85, 193–200.
22. Lindenbaum, J, Healton, EB, Savage, DG, Brust, JC, Garrett, TJ, Podell, ER, Marcell, PD, Stabler, SP & Allen, RH (1988) Neuropsychiatric disorders caused by cobalamin deficiency in the absence of anemia or macrocytosis. N Engl J Med 318, 1720–1728.
23. Smulders, YM & Stehouwer, CDA (2005) Folate metabolism and cardiovascular disease. Seminars Vasc Med 5, 87–97.
24. Schneede, J & Ueland, PM (2005) Novel and established markers of cobalamin deficiency: complimentary or exclusive diagnostic strategies. Seminars Vasc Med 5, 140–155.
25. Clarke, R, Grimley Evans, J, Schneede, J et al. (2004) Vitamin B12 and folate deficiency in older people. Age Ageing 33, 34–41.
26. Hin, H, Clarke, R, Sherliker, P et al. (2006) Clinical relevance of low serum vitamin B12 concentrations in older people: the Banbury B12 study. Age Ageing 35, 416–422.
27. Clarke, R, Sherliker, S, Hin, H et al. (2007) Detection of vitamin B12 deficiency in older people by measuring vitamin B12, or the active fraction of vitamin B12, holotranscobalamin. Clin Chem 53, 963–970.
28. Cummings, JL (2004) Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 351, 56–67.
29. Vermeer, SE, van Dijk, EJ, Koudstaal, PJ et al. (2002) Homocysteine, silent brain infarcts, and white matter lesions: The Rotterdam Scan Study. Ann Neurology 51, 285–290.
30. den Heijer, T, Vermeer, SE, Clarke, R et al. (2003) Homocysteine and brain atrophy on MRI of non-demented elderly. Brain 126, 170–175.
31. Department of Health (2006) Folate and Disease Prevention. London: The Stationery Office.
32. Mills, JL, Von Kohorn, I, Conley, MR et al. (2003) Low vitamin B-12 concentrations in patients without anemia: the effect of folic acid fortification of grain. Am J Clin Nutr 77, 1474–1477.
33. Metz, J, McNeil, AR & Levin, M (2004) The relationship between serum cobalamin concentration and mean red cell volume at varying concentrations of serum folate. Clin Lab Haematol 26, 323–325.
34. Dhar, M, Bellevue, R & Carmel, R (2003) Pernicious anemia with neuropsychiatric dysfunction in a patient with sickle cell anemia treated with folate supplementation. N Engl J Med 348, 2204–2207.
35. Pfeiffer, CM, Caudill, SP, Gunter, EW, Osterloh, J & Sampson, EJ (2005) Biochemical indicators of B vitamin status in the US population after folic acid fortification: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999–2000. Am J Clin Nutr 82, 442–450.
36. B-Vitamin Treatment Trialists' Collaboration (2006) Homocysteine-lowering trials for prevention of cardiovascular events: a review of the design and power of the large randomized trials. Am Heart J 151, 282–287.
37. Durga, J, van Boxtel, MP, Schouten, EG, Kok, FJ, Jolles, J, Katan, MB & Verhoef, P (2007) Effect of 3-year folic acid supplementation on cognitive function in older adults in the FACIT trial: a randomised, double blind, controlled trial. Lancet 369, 208–216.
38. Balk, EM, Raman, G, Tatsioni, A, Chung, M, Lau, J & Rosenberg, IW (2007) Vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid supplementation and cognitive function: a systematic review of randomized trials. Arch Intern Med 167, 21–30.