This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. S Friel , AD Dangour , T Garnett (2009) Health and Climate Change 4. Public health benefits of strategies to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions: food and agriculture. The Lancet 374 (9706), 2016–2025.
2. E Stehfest , L Bouwman , D van Vuuren (2009) Climate benefits of changing diet. Climatic Change 95, 83–102.
9. G Edwards-Jones , L Milà i Canals , N Hounsome (2008) Testing the assertion that ‘local food is best’: the challenges of an evidence based approach. Trends Food Sci Technol 19, 265–274.
11. CC Hinrichs (2003) The practice and politics of food system localization. J Rural Stud 19, 33–45.
13. R Feagan (2007) The place of food: mapping out the ‘local’ in local food systems. Prog Hum Geography 31, 23–42.
14. A Freibauer (2003) Regionalised inventory of biogenic greenhouse gas emissions from European agriculture. Eur J Agron 19, 135–160.
15. A Kasimir-Klemedtsson , L Klemedtsson , K Berglund (1997) Greenhouse gas emissions from farmed organic soils: a review. Soil Use Manage 13, 245–250.
17. G Edwards-Jones , K Plassmann & IM Harris (2009) Carbon footprinting of lamb and beef production systems: insights from an empirical analysis of farms in Wales. J Agric Sci 147, 1–13.
18. A Lilly , BC Bal , IP McTaggart (2009) Spatial modelling of nitrous oxide emissions at the national scale using soil, climate and land use information. Global Change Biol 15, 2321–2332.
19. GR Koerber , G Edwards-Jones , PW Hill (2009) Geographical variation in carbon dioxide fluxes from soils in agro-ecosystems and its implications for life cycle assessment. J Appl Ecol 46, 306–314.
21. CL Williams , M Liebman , JW Edwards (2008) Patterns of regional yield stability in association with regional environmental characteristics. Crop Sci 48, 1545–1559.
23. WK Anderson & WR Smith (1990) Increasing wheat yields in a high rainfall area of Western Australia. Aust J Exp Agric 30, 607–614.
24. GR de Snoo (2006) Benchmarking the environmental performances of farms. Int J Life Cycle Assess 11, 22–25.
28. JM Calm (2008) The next generation of refrigerants – historical review, considerations, and outlook. Int J Refrigeration 31, 1123–1133.
29. G Edwards-Jones , K Plassmann , EH York (2009) Vulnerability of exporting nations to the development of a carbon label in the United Kingdom. Environ Sci Policy 12, 479–490.
31. A Hospido , L Milà i Canals , SJ McLaren (2009) The role of seasonality in lettuce consumption: a case study of environmental and social aspects. Int Rev Life Cycle Assess 14, 381–391.
37. S Subak (1999) Global environmental costs of beef production. Ecolog Econ 30, 79–91.
38 JW Casey & NM Holden (2006). Quantification of GHG emissions from suckler-beef production in Ireland. Agric Syst 90, 79–98.
39. K Plassmann & G Edwards-Jones (2010) Carbon footprinting and carbon labelling of food products. In: Environmental Assessment and Management in the Food Industry, pp. 272–294. [ U Sonesson , J Berlin and F Ziegler , editors]. Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
40. N Hounsome , B Hounsome , AD Tomos (2008). Nutritional quality of vegetables: an overview of plant compounds and analytical technologies. J Food Sci 73, R48–R65.
41. S Kumar , M Imtiyaz & A Kumar (2007) Effect of differential soil moisture and nutrient regimes on postharvest attributes of onion (Allium cepa L.). Sci Horticulturae 112, 121–129.
42. IL Goldman , AA Kader & C Heintz (1999) Influence of production, handling, and storage on phytonutrient content of foods. Nutr Rev 57, S46–S52.
46. N Hounsome , B Hounsome , D Tomos (2009) Changes in antioxidant compounds in white cabbage during winter storage. Postharvest Biol Technol 52, 173–179.
47. BN Tosun & S Yucecan (2008) Influence of commercial freezing and storage on vitamin C content of some vegetables. Int J Food Sci Technol 43, 316–321.
48. S Lin & MS Brewer (2005) Effects of blanching method on the quality characteristics of frozen peas. J Food Qual 28, 350–360.
49. V Rungapamestry , AJ Duncan , Z Fuller (2007) Influence of blanching and freezing broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica) prior to storage and cooking on glucosinolate concentrations and myrosinase activity. Eur Food Res Technol 227, 37–44.
50. EM Goncalves , RMS Cruz , M Abreu (2009) Biochemical and colour changes of watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.) during freezing and frozen storage. J Food Eng 93, 32–39.
51. JC Rickman , DM Barrett & CM Bruhn (2007) Nutritional comparison of fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables. Part 1. Vitamins C and B and phenolic compounds. J Sci Food Agric 87, 930–944.
52. SS Sablani (2006) Drying of fruits and vegetables: retention of nutritional/functional quality. Drying Technol 24, 123–135.
53. BN Tosun & S Yucecan (2008) Influence of commercial freezing and storage on vitamin C content of some vegetables. Int J Food Sci Technol 43, 316–321.
56. P Brenton , G Edwards-Jones & MF Jensen (2009) Carbon labelling and low income country exports: a review of the development issues. Dev Policy Rev 27, 243–265.
57. P Cross , RT Edwards , M Opondo (2009) The health impacts to farm workers of buying local food. Environ Intl 35, 1004–1014.
60. L Milà i Canals , SJ Cowell , S Sim (2007). Comparing local versus imported apples: a focus on energy use. Environ Sci Pollut Res 14, 276–282.