This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. C Andreini , L Banci , I Bertini (2006) Counting the zinc-proteins encoded in the human genome. J Proteome Res 5, 196–201.
7. SE Wuehler , JM Peerson & KH Brown (2005) Use of national food balance data to estimate the adequacy of zinc in national food supplies: methodology and regional estimates. Public Health Nutr 8, 812–819.
8. S Kury , B Dreno , S Bezieau (2002) Identification of SLC39A4, a gene involved in acrodermatitis enteropathica. Nat Genet 31, 239–240.
9. F Wang , B-E Kim , J Dufner-Beattie (2004) Acrodermatitis enteropathica mutations affect transport activity, localization and zinc-responsive trafficking of the mouse ZIP4 zinc transporter. Hum Mol Genet 13, 563–571.
11. SJ Fairweather-Tait , LJ Harvey & D Ford (2008) Does ageing affect zinc homeostasis and dietary requirements? Exp Gerontol 43, 382–388.
12. C Brignola , C Belloli , G De Simone (2003) Zinc supplementation restores plasma concentrations of zinc and thymulin in patients with Crohn's disease. Ailment Pharmacol Ther 7, 275–280.
15. S Vasto , E Mocchegiani , G Candore (2006) Inflammation, genes and zinc in ageing and age-related diseases. Biogerontology 7, 315–327.
18. E Mocchegiani , L Costarelli , R Giacconi (2006) Zinc homeostasis in ageing: Two elusive faces of the same ‘metal’. Rejuvenation Res 9, 351–354.
19. RK Stankovic , RS Chung & M Pentowa (2007) Metallothioneins I and II: Neuroprotective significance during CNS pathology. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39, 484–489.
20. V Frazzini , E Rockabrand , E Mocchegiani (2006) Oxidative stress and brain ageing: Is zinc the link? Biogerontology 7, 307–314.
21. E Mocchegiani , M Muzzioli , C Cipriano (1998) Zinc T-cell pathways, aging: role of metallothioneins. Mech Ageing Dev 106, 183–204.
22. S Vasto , G Candorea , F Listìa (2008) Inflammation, genes and zinc in Alzheimer's disease. Brain Res Rev 58, 96–105.
23. P Relea , M Revilla , E Ripoll (1995) Zinc biochemical markers of nutrition, and type I osteoporosis. Age Ageing 24, 303–307.
25. RA Valentine , KA Jackson , GR Christie (2007) ZnT5 variant b is a bidirectional zinc transporter and mediates zinc uptake in human intestinal Caco-2 cells. J Biol Chem 282, 14389–14393.
26. K Wang , B Zhou , YM Kuo (2002) A novel member of a zinc transporter family is defective in acrodermatitis enteropathica. Am J Hum Genet 71, 66–73.
28. RA Cragg , GR Christie , SR Phillips (2002) A novel zinc-regulated human zinc transporter, hZTL1, is localized to the enterocyte apical membrane. J Biol Chem 277, 22789–22797.
29. T Kambe , H Narita , Y Yamaguchi-Iwai (2002) Cloning and characterization of a novel mammalian zinc transporter zinc transporter 5, abundantly expressed in pancreatic beta cells. J Biol Chem 277, 19049–19055.
30. RA Cragg , SR Phillips , JM Piper (2005) Homeostatic regulation of zinc transporters in the human small intestine by dietary zinc supplementation. Gut 54, 469–478.
31. K Inoue , K Matsuda , M Itoh (2002) Osteopenia and male-specific sudden cardiac death in mice lacking a zinc transporter gene Znt5. Hum Mol Genet 11, 1775–1784.
32. A Bird (2007) Perceptions of epigenetics. Nature 447, 396–398.
33. B Richardson (2003) Impact of aging on DNA methylation. Ageing Res Rev 2, 245–261.
34. M Gardiner-Garden & M Frommer (1987) CpG islands in vertebrate genomes. J Mol Biol 196, 261–282.
35. T Bestor , A Laudano , R Mattaliano (1988) Cloning and sequencing of a cDNA encoding DNA methyltransferase of mouse cells. The carboxyl-terminal domain of the mammalian enzyme is related to bacterial restriction methyltransferases. J Mol Biol 203, 971–983.
37. R Hirasawa , H Chiba , M Kaneda (2008) Maternal and zygotic Dnmt1 are necessary and sufficient for the maintenance of DNA methylation imprints during preimplantation development. Genes Dev 22, 1607–1616.
38. E Li , T Bestor & R Jaenisch (1992) Targeted mutation of the DNA methyltransferase gene results in embryonic lethality. Cell 69, 915–926.
39. MR Branco , M Oda & W Reik (2008) Safeguarding parental identity: Dnmt1 maintains imprints during epigenetic reprogramming in early embryogenesis. Genes Dev 22, 1567–1571.
40. GC Burdge , J Slater-Jefferies , C Torrens (2007) Dietary protein restriction of pregnant rats in the F0 generation induces altered methylation of hepatic gene promoters in the adult male offspring in the F1 and F2 generations. Br J Nutr 97, 435–439.
41. J Mathers (2008) Epigenomics: a basis for understanding individual differences. Proc Nutr Soc 67, 390–394.
42. T Furukawa (2002) Densely methylated MLH1 promoter correlates with decreased mRNA expression in sporadic colorectal cancers. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 35, 1–10.
43. M Wei , TA Grushko , J Dignam (2005) BRCA1 promoter methylation in sporadic breast cancer is associated with reduced BRCA1 copy number and chromosome 17 aneusomy. Cancer Res 65, 10692–10699.
44. JP Issa , PM Vertino , CD Boehm (1996) Switch from monoallelic to biallelic human IGF2 promoter methylation during aging and carcinogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93, 11757–11762.
45. JC Mathers & D Ford (2009) Nutrition epigenetics and ageing. In Nutrition and Epigenetics [ S Friso and SW Choi editors]. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. (In the Press.)
48. W Maret & HH Sandstead (2008) Possible roles of zinc nutriture in the fetal origins of disease. Exp Gerontol 43, 378–381.
49. JC Evans , DP Huddler , J Jiracek (2002) Betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase: Zinc in a distorted barrel. Structure 10, 1159–1171.
50. JA McKay , ME Adriaens , D Ford (2008) Bioinformatic interrogation of expression array data to identify nutritionally regulated genes potentially modulated by DNA methylation. Genes Nutr (Epublication ahead of print version).
51. T Kambe , BP Weaver & G Andrews (2008) The genetics of essential metal homeostasis during development. Genesis 46, 214–228.
52. S Balesaria & C Hogstrand (2006) Identification, cloning and characterization of a plasma membrane zinc efflux transporter TrZnT-1, from fugu pufferfish (Takifugu rubripes). Biochem J 394, 485–493.
54. A Truong-Tran , J Carter , R Ruffin (2001) New insights into the role of zinc in the respiratory epithelium. Immunol Cell Biol 79, 170–177.
55. BL Vallee , KH Falchuk & JK Chesters (1981) Zinc and gene expression. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 294, 185–197.
56. M Yamaguchi & M Hashizume (1994) Effect of beta-alanyl-L-histidinato zinc on protein components in osteoblastic MC3T3-el cells: Increase in osteocalcin, insulin-like growth factor-I and transforming growth factor-beta. Mol Cell Biochem 136, 163–169.
57. S Kishi & M Yamaguchi (1994) Inhibitory effect of zinc compounds on osteoclast-like cell formation in mouse marrow cultures. Biochem Pharmacol 48, 1225–1230.
58. M Herzberg , J Foldes , R Steinberg (1990) Zinc excretion in osteoporotic women. J Bone Miner Res 5, 251–257.
59. G Oner , B Bhaumick & R Bala (1984) Effect of zinc deficiency on serum somatomedin levels and skeletal growth in young rats. Endocrinology 114, 1860–1863.
60. AS Prasad (2000) Effects of zinc deficiency on Th1 and Th2 cytokine shifts. J Infect Dis 182, Suppl. 1, S62–S68.
61. E Maverakis , MA Fung , PJ Lynch (2007) Acrodermatitis enteropathica and an overview of zinc metabolism. J Am Acad Dermatol 56, 116–124.
62. BJ Stewart-Knox , EEA Simpson , H Parr (2008) Taste acuity in response to zinc supplementation in older Europeans. Br J Nutr 99, 129–136.
65. N Takeda , T Takaoka , C Ueda (2004) Zinc deficiency in patients with idiopathic taste impairment with regard to angiotensin converting enzyme activity. Auris Nasus Larynx 31, 425–428.