This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. T Anjos , S Altmäe , P Emmett (2013) Nutrition and neurodevelopment in children: focus on NUTRIMENTHE project. Eur J Nutr 52, 1825–1842.
3. P Dominguez-Salas , SE Cox , AM Prentice (2012) Maternal nutritional status, C1 metabolism and offspring DNA methylation: a review of current evidence in human subjects. Proc Nutr Soc 71, 154–165.
4. O van de Rest , LWA van Hooijdonk , E Doets (2012) B Vitamins and n-3 fatty acids for brain development and function: review of human studies. Ann Nutr Metab 60, 272–292.
5. L Schaevitz , J Berger-Sweeney & L Ricceri (2014) One-carbon metabolism in neurodevelopmental disorders: using broad-based nutraceutics to treat cognitive deficits in complex spectrum disorders. Neurosci. Biobehav Rev (Epublication ahead of print version)
6. AH Ford , L Flicker , GJ Hankey (2012) Homocysteine, methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T polymorphism and cognitive impairment: the health in men study. Mol Psychiatry 17, 559–566.
7. B McNulty , K Pentieva , B Marshall (2011) Women's compliance with current folic acid recommendations and achievement of optimal status for preventing neural tube defects. Hum Reprod 26, 1530–1536.
9. AE Czeizel & I Dudás (1992) Prevention of the first occurrence of neural-tube defects by periconceptional vitamin supplementation. N Engl J Med 327, 1832–1835.
10.MRC Vitamin Study Research Group (1991) Prevention of neural tube defects: results of the Medical Research Council Vitamin Study. Lancet 338, 131–137.
13. E Reynolds (2006) Vitamin B12, folic acid, and the nervous system. Lancet Neurol 5, 949–960.
15. J Julvez , J Fortuny , M Mendez (2009) Maternal use of folic acid supplements during pregnancy and four-year-old neurodevelopment in a population-based birth cohort. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 23, 199–206.
16. SR Veena , GV Krishnaveni , K Srinivasan (2010) Higher maternal plasma folate but not Vitamin B-12 concentrations during pregnancy are associated with better cognitive function scores in 9- to 10-year-old children in South India. J Nutr 140, 1014–1022.
17. C Roth , P Magnus , S Schjølberg (2011) Folic acid supplements in pregnancy and severe language delay in children. J Am Med Assoc 306, 1566–1573.
18. L Chatzi , E Papadopoulou , K Koutra (2012) Effect of high doses of folic acid supplementation in early pregnancy on child neurodevelopment at 18 months of age: the mother-child cohort ‘Rhea’ study in Crete, Greece. Public Health Nutr 15, 1728–1736.
19. E Villamor , SL Rifas-Shiman , MW Gillman (2012) Maternal intake of methyl-donor nutrients and child cognition at 3 years of age. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 26, 328–335.
20. EB Isaacs (2013) Neuroimaging, a new tool for investigating the effects of early diet on cognitive and brain development. Front Hum Neurosci 7, 445.
21. RA Thompson & CA Nelson (2001) Developmental science and the media. Early brain development. Am Psychol 56, 5–15.
25. SA Blaise , E Nédélec , H Schroeder (2007) Gestational Vitamin B deficiency leads to homocysteine-associated brain apoptosis and alters neurobehavioral development in rats. Am J Pathol 170, 667–679.
26. B Wilcken , F Bamforth , Z Li (2003) Geographical and ethnic variation of the 677C>T allele of 5, 10 methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR): findings from over 7000 newborns from 16 areas worldwide. J Med Genet 40, 619–625.
27. JR Pilsner , H Hu , RO Wright (2010) Maternal MTHFR genotype and haplotype predict deficits in early cognitive development in a lead-exposed birth cohort in Mexico City. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 226–234.
28. C del Río Garcia , L Torres- Sanchez , J Chen (2009) Maternal MTHFR 677C>T genotype and dietary intake of folate and vitamin B(12): their impact on child neurodevelopment. Nutr Neurosci 12, 13–20.
30. T Tamura , RL Goldenberg , VR Chapman (2005) Folate status of mothers during pregnancy and mental and psychomotor development of their children at five years of age. Pediatrics 116, 703–708.
31. SJ Roza , T van Batenburg-Eddes , EAP Steegers (2010) Maternal folic acid supplement use in early pregnancy and child behavioural problems: the Generation R Study. Br J Nutr 103, 445–452.
32. W Schlotz , A Jones , DIW Phillips (2010) Lower maternal folate status in early pregnancy is associated with childhood hyperactivity and peer problems in offspring. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 51, 594–602.
33. J Steenweg-de Graaff , SJ Roza , EAP Steegers (2012) Maternal folate status in early pregnancy and child emotional and behavioral problems: the Generation R Study. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 1413–1421.
34. TA Strand , S Taneja , PM Ueland (2013) Cobalamin and folate status predicts mental development scores in North Indian children 12–18 mo of age. Am J Clin Nutr 97, 310–317.
35. TK Nilsson , A Yngve , AK Bottiger (2011) High folate intake is related to better academic achievement in Swedish adolescents. Pediatrics 128, E358–E365.
36. CT Nguyen , EJ Gracely & BK Lee (2013) Serum folate but not Vitamin B-12 concentrations are positively associated with cognitive test scores in children aged 6–16 years. J Nutr 143, 500–504.
37. JE Graham , K Rockwood , BL Beattie (1997) Prevalence and severity of cognitive impairment with and without dementia in an elderly population. Lancet 349, 1793–1796.
38. H McNulty & JM Scott (2008) Intake and status of folate and related B-vitamins: considerations and challenges in achieving optimal status. Br J Nutr 99, S48–S54.
40. M Kivipelto , T Ngandu , Laatikainen (2006) Risk score for the predicition of dementia risk in 20 years among middle-aged people: a longitudinal, population-based study. Lancet Neurol 5, 735–741.
41. AD Smith (2008) The worldwide challenge of the dementias: a role for B vitamins and homocysteine? Food Nutr Bull 29, 2 Suppl, S143–S172.
43. AH Ford , L Flicker , U Singh (2013) Homocysteine, depression and cognitive function in older adults. J Affect Disord 151, 646–651.
45. S Seshadri , A Beiser , J Selhub (2002) Plasma homocysteine as a risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 346, 476–483.
51. DM Kado , AS Karlamangla , MH Huang (2005) Homocysteine versus the vitamins folate, B6, and B12 as predictors of cognitive function and decline in older high-functioning adults: MacArthur Studies of successful aging. Am J Med 118, 161–167.
52. E Nurk , H Refsum , Gs Tell (2005) Plasma total homocysteine and memory in the elderly: the Hordaland Homocysteine Study. Ann Neurol 58, 847–857.
54. B Hooshmand , A Solomon , I Kåreholt (2012) Associations between serum homocysteine, holotranscobalamin, folate and cognition in the elderly: a longitudinal study. J Intern Med 271, 204–212.
56. D Moorthy , I Peter , TM Scott (2012) Status of Vitamins B-12 and B-6 but not of folate, homocysteine, and the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T polymorphism are associated with impaired cognition and depression in adults. J Nutr 142, 1554–1560.
59. EL Doets , PM Ueland , GS Tell (2014) Interactions between plasma concentrations of folate and markers of vitamin B12 status with cognitive performance in elderly people not exposed to folic acid fortification: the Hordaland Health Study. Br J Nutr 111, 1085–1095.
60. JA McMahon , TJ Green , CM Skeaff (2006) A controlled trial of homocysteine lowering and cognitive performance. N Engl J Med 354, 2764–2772.
61. J Durga , MPJ van Boxtel , EG Schouten (2007) Effect of 3-year folic acid supplementation on cognitive function in older adults in the FACIT trial: a randomised, double blind, controlled trial. Lancet 369, 208–216.
62. PS Aisen , LS Schneider , M Sano (2008) High-dose B vitamin supplementation and cognitive decline in Alzheimer disease: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Med Assoc 300, 1774–1783.
63. CA de Jager , A Oulhaj , R Jacoby (2012) Cognitive and clinical outcomes of homocysteine-lowering B-vitamin treatment in mild cognitive impairment: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 27, 592–600.
64. JG Walker , PJ Batterham , AJ Mackinnon (2012) Oral folic acid and vitamin B-12 supplementation to prevent cognitive decline in community-dwelling older adults with depressive symptoms-the Beyond Ageing Project: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 194–203.
65. AD Smith , SM Smith , CA de Jager (2010) Homocysteine-lowering by B vitamins slows the rate of accelerated brain atrophy in mild cognitive impairment: a randomized controlled trial. PLoS ONE 5, e12244.
66. G Douaud , H Refsum , CA de Jager (2013) Preventing Alzheimer's disease-related gray matter atrophy by B-vitamin treatment. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110, 9523–9528.
68. R Pathansali , AA Mangoni , B Creagh-Brown (2006) Effects of folic acid supplementation on psychomotor performance and hemorheology in healthy elderly subjects. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 43, 127–137.
70. T Kwok , J Lee , CB Law (2011) A randomized placebo controlled trial of homocysteine lowering to reduce cognitive decline in older demented people. Clin Nutr 30, 297–302.
71. CA de Jager (2014) Critical levels of brain atrophy associated with homocysteine and cognitive decline. Neurobiol Aging 35, Suppl. 2, S35–S39.
73. RA Waterland & RL Jirtle (2003) Transposable elements: targets for early nutritional effects on epigenetic gene regulation. Mol Cell Biol 23, 5293–5300.
74. JE Cropley , CM Suter , KB Beckman (2006) Germ-line epigenetic modifications of the murine Avy allele by nutritional supplementation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103, 17308–17312.
75. CE Cho , D Sánchez-Hernández , SA Reza-López (2013) High folate gestational and post-weaning diets alter hypothalamic feeding pathways by DNA methylation in Wistar rat offspring. Epigenetics 8, 710–719.
76. TJ Roseboom , RC Painter , AFM van Abeelen (2011) Hungry in the womb: what are the consequences? Lessons from the Dutch famine. Maturitas 70, 141–145.
77. BT Heijmans , EW Tobi , AD Stein (2008) Persistent epigenetic differences associated with prenatal exposure to famine in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 17046–17049.
78. RP Steegers-Theunissen , SA Obermann-Borst , D Kremer (2009) Periconceptional maternal folic acid use of 400 μg per day is related to increased methylation of the IGF2 gene in the very young child. PLoS ONE 4, 1–5.
79. P Haggarty , G Hoad , DM Campbell (2013) Folate in pregnancy and imprinted gene and repeat element methylation in the offspring. Am J Clin Nutr 97, 94–99.
80. E Ivanoca & G Kelsey (2011) Imprinted genes and hypothalamic function. J Mol Endocrinol 47, R67–R74.
81. B Keverne (2009) Monoallelic gene expression and mammalian evolution. BioEssays 31, 1318–1326.
82. T den Heijer , SE Vermeer , R Clarke (2003) Homocysteine and brain atrophy on MRI of non-demented elderly. Brain 126, 170–175.
83. R Clarke , AD Smith , KA Jobst (1998) Folate, vitamin B12, and serum total homocysteine levels in confirmed Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol 55, 1449–1455.
84. ML di Salvo , R Contestabile & MK Safo (2011) Vitamin B6 salvage enzymes: mechanism, structure and regulation. Biochim Biophys Acta 1814, 1597–1608.
85. M Clarke , M Ward , JJ Strain (2014) B-vitamins and bone health and disease: the current evidence. Proc Nutr Soc 73, 330–339.