This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
T Garnett (2011) Where are the best opportunities for reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the food system (including the food chain)?
JA Foley , N Ramankutty , KA Brauman
. (2011) Solutions for a cultivated planet. Nature
CA McAlpine , A Etter , PM Fearnside
. (2009) Increasing world consumption of beef as a driver of regional and global change: a call for policy action based on evidence from Queensland (Australia), Colombia and Brazil. Global Environ Change
15. D Nepstad , BS Soares-Filho , F Merry . (2009) The end of deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon. Science. 326, 1350–1351.
BM Popkin & P Gordon-Larsen (2004) The nutrition transition: worldwide obesity dynamics and their determinants. Int J Obes
22. P Shetty (2002) Nutrition transition in India. Public Health Nutr 5, 175–182.
23. F Zhai , H Wang , S Du . (2009) Prospective study on nutrition transition in China. Nutr Rev 67, Suppl. 1, S56–S61.
24. BA Swinburn , G Sacks , KD Hall . (2011) The global obesity pandemic: shaped by global drivers and local environments. Lancet 378, 804–814.
26. RE Black , LH Allen , ZA Bhutta . (2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. Lancet 371, 243–260.
29. C Hawkes & M Ruel (editors) ( 2006) Understanding the Links between Agriculture and Health. Washington, DC: IFPRI.
31. D Tilman , C Balzer , J Hill . (2011) Global food demand and the sustainable intensification of agriculture. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108, 20260–20264.
34. SR Shafer , CL Walthall , AJ Franzluebbers . (2011) Editorial: emergence of the global research alliance on agricultural greenhouse gases. Carbon Manage 2, 209–214.
45. E Caveny , BJ Caveney , R Somaratne . (2011) Pharmaceutical interventions for obesity: a public health perspective. Diabetes Obes Metab. 13, 490–497.
B Halpern , ESL Oliveira , AM Faria
. (2010) Combinations of drugs in the treatment of obesity. Pharmaceuticals
L Wyness , E Weichselbaum , A O'Connor
. (2011) Red meat in the diet: an update. Nutr Bull
JV Meenakshi , NL Johnson , VM Manyong
. (2010) How cost-effective is biofortification in combating micronutrient malnutrition? An ex ante assessment. World Dev
EH Schlich & U Fleissner (2004) The ecology of scale: assessment of regional energy turnover and comparison with global food. Int J Life Cycle Assess
R Goodland (1997) Environmental sustainability in agriculture: diet matters. Ecol Econ
C Weber & H Matthews (2008) Food-miles and the relative climate impacts of food choices in the United States. Environ Sci Technol
E Stehfest , L Bouwman , DP van Vuuren
. (2009) Climate benefits of changing diet. Climatic Change, 95, 1–2.
T Garnett (2009) Livestock-related greenhouse gas emissions: impacts and options for policy makers. Environ Sci Policy
A Popp , H Lotze-Campen & B Bodirsky (2010) Food consumption, diet shifts and associated non-CO2 greenhouse gases from agricultural production. Global Environ Change
N Pelletier & P Tyedmers (2010) Forecasting potential global environmental costs of livestock production 2000–2050. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA
S Friel , A Dangour , T Garnett
. (2009) Public health benefits of strategies to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions: food and agriculture. Lancet
R Sinha , AJ Cross , BI Graubard
. (2009) Meat intake and mortality: a prospective study of over half a million people. Archiv Intern Med
DJ Millward & T Garnett (2010) Plenary lecture 3: food and the planet: nutritional dilemmas of greenhouse gas emission reductions through reduced intakes of meat and dairy foods. Proc Nutr Soc
70. A Carlsson-Kanyama & AD González (2009) Potential contributions of food consumption patterns to climate change. Am J Clin Nutr 89, Suppl., 1704S–1709S.
J Davis , U Sonesson , DU Baumgartner
. (2010) Environmental impact of four meals with different protein sources: case studies in Spain and Sweden. Food Res Int
72. P Edwards & I Roberts (2009) Population adiposity and climate change. Int J Epidemiol 38, 1137–1140.
A Michaelowa & B Dransfeld (2008) Greenhouse gas benefits of fighting obesity. Ecol Econ
B Popkin (1999) Urbanization, lifestyle changes and the nutrition transition. World Dev
75. DK Dror & LH Allen (2011) The importance of milk and other animal-source foods for children in low-income countries. Food Nutr Bull 32, 227–243.
77. OT Mytton , D Clarke & M Rayner (2012) Taxing unhealthy food and drinks to improve health. Br Med J 344, e2931.
S Wirsenius , F Hedenus & K Mohlin (2010) Greenhouse gas taxes on animal food products: rationale, tax scheme and climate mitigation effects. Climatic Change
87. T Lang (2009) Reshaping the food system for ecological public health. J Hunger Environ Nutr 4, 315–335.
A Toledo & B Burlingame (2006) Biodiversity and nutrition: a common path toward global food security and sustainable development. J Food Compos Anal
93. T Johns & PB Eyzaguirre (2007) Biofortification, biodiversity and diet: a search for complementary applications against poverty and malnutrition. Food Policy 32, 1–24.
J Fischer , P Batáry , KS Bawa
. (2011) Conservation: limits of land sparing. Science
97. P Phalan , M Onial , A Balmford . (2011) Reconciling food production and biodiversity conservation: Land sharing and land sparing compared. Science 333, 1289.
J Burney , SJ Davis & DB Lobell (2010) Greenhouse gas mitigation by agricultural intensification. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA