This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CD Stubbs & AD Smith (1984) The modification of mammalian membrane polyunsaturated fatty acid composition in relation to membrane fluidity and function. Biochim Biophys Acta 779, 89–137.
2. K Schoonjans , B Staels & J Auwerx (1996) The peroxisome proliferator activated receptors (PPARS) and their effects on lipid metabolism and adipocyte differentiation. Biochim Biophys Acta 1302, 93–109.
3. H Sampath & JM Ntambi (2004) Polyunsaturated fatty acid regulation of gene expression. Nutr Rev 62, 333–339.
5. SL Tilley , TM Coffman & BH Koller (2001) Mixed messages: modulation of inflammation and immune responses by prostaglandins and thromboxanes. J Clin Invest 108, 15–23.
6. PC Calder (2003) N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and inflammation: from molecular biology to the clinic. Lipids 38, 343–352.
8. BD Levy , CB Clish , B Schmidt , K Gronert & CN Serhan (2001) Lipid mediator class switching during acute inflammation: signals in resolution. Nat Immunol 2, 612–619.
9. CN Serhan , M Arita , S Hong & K Gotlinger (2004) Resolvins, docosatrienes, and neuroprotectins, novel omega-3-derived mediators, and their endogenous aspirin-triggered epimers. Lipids 39, 1125–1132.
10. J Liu , HC Yeo , SJ Doniger & BN Ames (1997) Assay of aldehydes from lipid peroxidation: gas chromatography-mass spectrometry compared to thiobarbituric acid. Anal Biochem 245, 161–166.
14. CHS Ruxton , PC Calder , SC Reed & MJA Simpson (2005) The impact of long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on human health. Nutr Res Rev 18, 113–129.
15. GC Burdge & PC Calder (2006) Dietary alpha-linolenic acid and health related outcomes: a metabolic perspective. Nutr Res Rev 19, 26–52.
16. PM Kris-Etherton , WS Harris & LJ Appel (2002) Fish consumption, fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids, and cardiovascular disease. Circulation 106, 2747–2757.
17. PC Calder (2004) n-3 Fatty acids and cardiovascular disease: evidence explained and mechanisms explored. Clin Sci 107, 1–11.
19. GISSI-Prevenzione (1999) Dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E after myocardial infarction: results of the GISSI-Prevenzione trial. Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio della Sopravvivenza nell'Infarto miocardico. Lancet 354, 447–455.
20. PC Calder (2006) Use of fish oil in parenteral nutrition: Rationale and reality. Proc Nutr Soc 65, 264–277.
21. J Farquharson , EC Jamieson , RW Logan , WJ Patrick , AG Howatson & F Cockburn (1995) Age- and dietary-related distributions of hepatic arachidonic and docosahexaenoic acid in early infancy. Pediatr Res 38, 361–365.
22. L Lauritzen , HS Hansen , MH Jorgensen & KF Michaelsen (2001) The essentiality of long chain n-3 fatty acids in relation to development and function of the brain and retina. Prog Lipid Res 40, 1–94.
23. JP SanGiovanni , S Parra-Cabrera , GA Colditz , CS Berkey & JT Dwyer (2000) Meta-analysis of dietary essential fatty acids and long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids as they relate to visual resolution acuity in healthy preterm infants. Pediatrics 105, 1292–1298.
25. AJ Richardson (2006) Omega-3 fatty acids in ADHD and related neurodevelopmental disorders. Int Rev Psychiatry 18, 155–172.
26. MP Freeman , JR Hibbeln , KL Wisner (2006) Omega-3 fatty acids: evidence basis for treatment and future research in psychiatry. J Clin Psychiatry 67, 1954–1967.
28. AE Leonard , SL Pereira , H Sprecher & YS Huang (2004) Elongation of long-chain fatty acids. Prog Lipid Res 43, 36–54.
30. LG Cleland , RA Gibson , J Pedler & MJ James (2005) Paradoxical effect of n-3 containing vegetable oils on long-chain n-3 fatty acids in rat heart. Lipids 40, 995–998.
32. GC Burdge , AE Jones & SA Wootton (2002) Eicosapentaenoic and docosapentaenoic acids are the principal products of alpha-linolenic acid metabolism in young men. Br J Nutr 88, 355–363.
33. GC Burdge & SA Wootton (2002) Conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to eicosapentaenoic, docosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids in young women. Br J Nutr 88, 411–420.
36. R Pawlosky , J Hibbeln , Y Lin & N Salem Jr (2003) n-3 Fatty acid metabolism in women. Br J Nutr 90, 993–994.
37. GC Burdge , YE Finnegan , AM Minihane , CM Williams & SA Wootton (2003) Effect of altered dietary n-3 fatty acid intake upon plasma lipid fatty acid composition, conversion of [13C]α-linolenic acid to longer-chain fatty acids and partitioning towards β-oxidation in older men. Br J Nutr 90, 311–321.
38. T Nikkari , P Luukkainen , P Pietinen & P Puska (1995) Fatty acid composition of serum lipid fractions in relation to gender and quality of dietary fat. Ann Med 27, 491–498.
40. L Bakewell , GC Burdge & PC Calder (2006) Polyunsaturated fatty acid concentrations in young men and women consuming their habitual diets. Br J Nutr 96, 93–99.
41. FL Crowe , CM Skeaff & TJ Green (2008) Serum n-3 long-chain PUFA differ by sex and age in a population-based survey of New Zealand adolescents and adults. Br J Nutr (In the Press).
42. AE Jones , JL Murphy , M Stolinski & SA Wootton (1998) The effect of age and gender on the metabolic disposal of [1–13C] palmitic acid. Eur J Clin Nutr 52, 22–28.
43. R Tavendale , AJ Lee , WC Smith & H Tunstall-Pedoe (1992) Adipose tissue fatty acids in Scottish men and women: results from the Scottish Heart Health Study. Atherosclerosis 94, 161–169.
44. T Raclot , D Langin , M Lafontan & R Groscolas (1997) Selective release of human adipocyte fatty acids according to molecular structure. Biochem J 324, 911–915.
45. T Raclot (2003) Selective mobilization of fatty acids from adipose tissue triacylglycerols. Prog Lipid Res 42, 257–288.
46. H Sumino , S Ichikawa , M Murakami , T Nakamura , T Kanda , T Sakamaki , H Mizunuma & M Kurabayashi (2003) Effects of hormone replacement therapy on circulating docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid levels in postmenopausal women. Endocr J 50, 51–59.
47. EJ Giltay , EJ Duschek , MB Katan , PL Zock , SJ Neele & JC Netelenbos (2004) Raloxifene and hormone replacement therapy increase arachidonic acid and docosahexaenoic acid levels in postmenopausal women. J Endocrinol 182, 399–408.
48. LA Mattsson , G Silfverstolpe & G Samsioe (1985) Fatty acid composition of serum lecithin and cholesterol ester in the normal menstrual cycle. Horm Metab Res 17, 414–417.
49. MC Ocke , HB Bueno-de-Mesquita , HE Goddijn , A Jansen , MA Pols , WA Van Staveren & D Kromhout (1997) The Dutch EPIC food frequency questionnaire. I. Description of the questionnaire, and relative validity and reproducibility for food groups. Int J Epidemiol 26, Suppl. 1, S37–S48.
50. CA Marra , MJ de Alaniz & RR Brenner (1988) Effect of various steroids on the biosynthesis of arachidonic acid in isolated hepatocytes and HTC cells. Lipids 23, 1053–1058.
51. S Gonzalez , AM Nervi & RO Peluffo (1986) Effects of estradiol and environmental temperature changes on rat liver delta 6 microsomal desaturase activity. Lipids 21, 440–443.
52. CA Marra & MJ de Alaniz (1989) Influence of testosterone administration on the biosynthesis of unsaturated fatty acids in male and female rats. Lipids 24, 1014–1019.