This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. D Thomas & EJ Elliott (2009) Low glycaemic index, or low glycaemic load, diets for diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, issue 1, CD006296. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.
3. G Livesey (2005) Low-glycaemic diets and health: implications for obesity. Proc Nutr Soc 64, 105–113.
4. DE Thomas , EJ Elliott & L Baur (2007) Low glycaemic index or low glycaemic load diets for overweight and obesity. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, issue 3, CD005105. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.
5. J Mann , JH Cummings , HN Englyst (2007) FAO/WHO scientific update on carbohydrates in human nutrition: conclusions. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, Suppl. 1, S132–S137.
6. S Kelly , G Frost , V Whittaker (2004) Low glycaemic index diets for coronary heart disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2004, issue 4, CD004467. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.
7. GH Anderson & D Woodend (2003) Effect of glycemic carbohydrates on short-term satiety and food intake. Nutr Rev 61, S17–S26.
8. JM Warren , CJ Henry & V Simonite (2003) Low glycemic index breakfasts and reduced food intake in preadolescent children. Pediatrics 112, e414.
9. FR Bornet , AE Jardy-Gennetier , N Jacquet (2007) Glycaemic response to foods: impact on satiety and long-term weight regulation. Appetite 49, 535–553.
10. LM Aston , CS Stokes & SA Jebb (2008) No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 160–165.
11. CJ Henry , HJ Lightowler & CM Strik (2007) Effects of long-term intervention with low- and high-glycaemic-index breakfasts on food intake in children aged 8–11 years. Br J Nutr 98, 636–640.
12. F Brouns , I Bjorck , KN Frayn (2005) Glycaemic index methodology. Nutr Res Rev 18, 145–171.
14. M Lerer-Metzger , SW Rizkalla , J Luo (1996) Effects of long-term low-glycaemic index starchy food on plasma glucose and lipid concentrations and adipose tissue cellularity in normal and diabetic rats. Br J Nutr 75, 723–732.
15. DB Pawlak , JA Kushner & DS Ludwig (2004) Effects of dietary glycaemic index on adiposity, glucose homoeostasis, and plasma lipids in animals. Lancet 364, 778–785.
16. PW So , WS Yu , YT Kuo (2007) Impact of resistant starch on body fat patterning and central appetite regulation. PLoS ONE 2, e1309.
17. G Frost , B Keogh , D Smith (1996) The effect of low-glycemic carbohydrate on insulin and glucose response in vivo and in vitro in patients with coronary heart disease. Metabolism 45, 669–672.
18. G Frost , A Leeds , G Trew (1998) Insulin sensitivity in women at risk of coronary heart disease and the effect of a low glycemic diet. Metabolism 47, 1245–1251.
19. C Bouche , SW Rizkalla , J Luo (2002) Five-week, low-glycemic index diet decreases total fat mass and improves plasma lipid profile in moderately overweight nondiabetic men. Diabetes Care 25, 822–828.
20. SB Eaton , SB Eaton 3rd & MJ Konner (1997) Paleolithic nutrition revisited: a twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. Eur J Clin Nutr 51, 207–216.
21. PN Appleby , M Thorogood , JI Mann (1998) Low body mass index in non-meat eaters: the possible roles of animal fat, dietary fibre and alcohol. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 22, 454–460.
22. DS Ludwig , MA Pereira , CH Kroenke (1999) Dietary fiber, weight gain, and cardiovascular disease risk factors in young adults. JAMA 282, 1539–1546.
23. G Maskarinec , Y Takata , I Pagano (2006) Trends and dietary determinants of overweight and obesity in a multiethnic population. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 717–726.
24. LH Nelson & LA Tucker (1996) Diet composition related to body fat in a multivariate study of 203 men. J Am Diet Assoc 96, 771–777.
25. D Kromhout , B Bloemberg , JC Seidell (2001) Physical activity and dietary fiber determine population body fat levels: the Seven Countries Study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 301–306.
28. LA Tucker & KS Thomas (2009) Increasing total fiber intake reduces risk of weight and fat gains in women. J Nutr 139, 576–581.
29. PD Cani , C Dewever & NM Delzenne (2004) Inulin-type fructans modulate gastrointestinal peptides involved in appetite regulation (glucagon-like peptide-1 and ghrelin) in rats. Br J Nutr 92, 521–526.
30. SA Abrams , IJ Griffin , KM Hawthorne (2007) Effect of prebiotic supplementation and calcium intake on body mass index. J Pediatr 151, 293–298.
31. F Backhed , H Ding , T Wang (2004) The gut microbiota as an environmental factor that regulates fat storage. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101, 15718–15723.
32. RE Ley , PJ Turnbaugh , S Klein (2006) Microbial ecology: human gut microbes associated with obesity. Nature 444, 1022–1023.
33. PJ Turnbaugh , RE Ley , MA Mahowald (2006) An obesity-associated gut microbiome with increased capacity for energy harvest. Nature 444, 1027–1031.
34. RE Ley , F Backhed , P Turnbaugh (2005) Obesity alters gut microbial ecology. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102, 11070–11075.
35. B Kleessen , L Hartmann & M Blaut (2001) Oligofructose and long-chain inulin: influence on the gut microbial ecology of rats associated with a human faecal flora. Br J Nutr 86, 291–300.
37. A Cresci , C Orpianesi , S Silvi (1999) The effect of sucrose or starch-based diet on short-chain fatty acids and faecal microflora in rats. J Appl Microbiol 86, 245–250.
38. PD Cani , CA Daubioul , B Reusens (2005) Involvement of endogenous glucagon-like peptide-1(7–36) amide on glycaemia-lowering effect of oligofructose in streptozotocin-treated rats. J Endocrinol 185, 457–465.
39. KR Freeland , C Wilson & TM Wolever (2010) Adaptation of colonic fermentation and glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion with increased wheat fibre intake for 1 year in hyperinsulinaemic human subjects. Br J Nutr 103, 82–90; Epublication 7 August 2009.
40. E Le Poul , C Loison , S Struyf (2003) Functional characterization of human receptors for short chain fatty acids and their role in polymorphonuclear cell activation. J Biol Chem 278, 25481–25489.
41. S Karaki , R Mitsui , H Hayashi (2006) Short-chain fatty acid receptor, GPR43, is expressed by enteroendocrine cells and mucosal mast cells in rat intestine. Cell Tissue Res 324, 353–360.
42. SI Karaki , H Tazoe , H Hayashi (2008) Expression of the short-chain fatty acid receptor, GPR43, in the human colon. J Mol Histol 39, 135–142; Epublication 27 Sep 2007.
43. AJ Brown , SM Goldsworthy , AA Barnes (2003) The Orphan G protein-coupled receptors GPR41 and GPR43 are activated by propionate and other short chain carboxylic acids. J Biol Chem 278, 11312–11319.
44. H Ge , X Li , J Weiszmann (2008) Activation of G protein-coupled receptor 43 in adipocytes leads to inhibition of lipolysis and suppression of plasma free fatty acids. Endocrinology 149, 4519–4526.
45. M Druce & SR Bloom (2006) The regulation of appetite. Arch Dis Child 91, 183–187.
46. B Olivan , J Teixeira , M Bose (2009) Effect of weight loss by diet or gastric bypass surgery on peptide YY3–36 levels. Ann Surg 249, 948–953.
47. PD Cani , S Hoste , Y Guiot (2007) Dietary non-digestible carbohydrates promote L-cell differentiation in the proximal colon of rats. Br J Nutr 98, 32–37.
49. HJ Willis , AL Eldridge , J Beiseigel (2009) Greater satiety response with resistant starch and corn bran in human subjects. Nutr Res 29, 100–105.
50. PD Cani , E Joly , Y Horsmans (2006) Oligofructose promotes satiety in healthy human: a pilot study. Eur J Clin Nutr 60, 567–572.
52. JA Parnell & RA Reimer (2009) Weight loss during oligofructose supplementation is associated with decreased ghrelin and increased peptide YY in overweight and obese adults. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 1751–1759.