This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DN Lobo , MG Dube , KR Neal (2001) Problems with solutions: drowning in the brine of an inadequate knowledge base. Clin Nutr 20, 125–130.
4. MA Shafiee , D Bohn , EJ Hoorn (2003) How to select optimal maintenance intravenous fluid therapy. QJM 96, 601–610.
6. SR Walsh & CJ Walsh (2005) Intravenous fluid-associated morbidity in post-operative patients. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 87, 126–130.
7. DN Lobo , Z Stanga , JAD Simpson (2001) Dilution and redistribution effects of rapid 2-litre infusions of 0·9% (w/v) saline and 5% (w/v) dextrose on haematological parameters and serum biochemistry in normal subjects: a double-blind crossover study. Clin Sci (Lond) 101, 173–179.
8. DN Lobo (2004) Sir David Cuthbertson medal lecture. Fluid, electrolytes and nutrition: physiological and clinical aspects. Proc Nutr Soc 63, 453–466.
9. DN Lobo , Z Stanga , MM Aloysius (2010) Effect of volume loading with 1 liter intravenous infusions of 0·9% saline, 4% succinylated gelatine (Gelofusine) and 6% hydroxyethyl starch (Voluven) on blood volume and endocrine responses: a randomized, three-way crossover study in healthy volunteers. Crit Care Med 38, 464–470.
10. F Reid , DN Lobo , RN Williams (2003) (Ab)normal saline and physiological Hartmann's solution: a randomized double-blind crossover study. Clin Sci (Lond) 104, 17–24.
11. EL Williams , KL Hildebrand , SA McCormick (1999) The effect of intravenous lactated Ringer's solution versus 0·9% sodium chloride solution on serum osmolality in human volunteers. Anesth Analg 88, 999–1003.
13. CS Wilcox (1983) Regulation of renal blood flow by plasma chloride. J Clin Invest 71, 726–735.
14. S Awad , SP Allison & DN Lobo (2008) The history of 0·9% saline. Clin Nutr 27, 179–188.
15. NN Rahbari , JB Zimmermann , T Schmidt (2009) Meta-analysis of standard, restrictive and supplemental fluid administration in colorectal surgery. Br J Surg 96, 331–341.
17. DN Lobo , DA Macafee & SP Allison (2006) How peri-operative fluid balance influences post-operative outcomes. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 20, 439–455.
18. DN Lobo (2009) Fluid overload and surgical outcome: another piece in the jigsaw. Ann Surg 249, 186–188.
19. MC Bellamy (2006) Wet, dry or something else? Br J Anaesth 97, 755–757.
26. E Jequier & F Constant (2010) Water as an essential nutrient: the physiological basis of hydration. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 115–123.
27. DN Lobo , KA Bostock , KR Neal (2002) Effect of salt and water balance on recovery of gastrointestinal function after elective colonic resection: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 359, 1812–1818.
28. B Brandstrup , H Tonnesen , R Beier-Holgersen (2003) Effects of intravenous fluid restriction on post-operative complications: comparison of two peri-operative fluid regimens: a randomized assessor-blinded multicenter trial. Ann Surg 238, 641–648.
29. H Vermeulen , J Hofland , DA Legemate (2009) Intravenous fluid restriction after major abdominal surgery: a randomized blinded clinical trial. Trials 10, 50.
30. K Holte , NB Foss , J Andersen (2007) Liberal or restrictive fluid administration in fast-track colonic surgery: a randomized, double-blind study. Br J Anaesth 99, 500–508.
31. AR Jadad , RA Moore , D Carroll (1996) Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary? Control Clin Trials 17, 1–12.
33. JA Gonzalez-Fajardo , L Mengibar , JA Brizuela (2009) Effect of post-operative restrictive fluid therapy in the recovery of patients with abdominal vascular surgery. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 37, 538–543.
34. B Kabon , O Akca , A Taguchi (2005) Supplemental intravenous crystalloid administration does not reduce the risk of surgical wound infection. Anesth Analg 101, 1546–1553.
35. G MacKay , K Fearon , A McConnachie (2006) Randomized clinical trial of the effect of post-operative intravenous fluid restriction on recovery after elective colorectal surgery. Br J Surg 93, 1469–1474.
36. GT McArdle , DF McAuley , A McKinley (2009) Preliminary results of a prospective randomized trial of restrictive versus standard fluid regime in elective open abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann Surg 250, 28–34.
37. V Nisanevich , I Felsenstein , G Almogy (2005) Effect of intraoperative fluid management on outcome after intra-abdominal surgery. Anesthesiology 103, 25–32.
38. SR Walsh , TY Tang , N Farooq (2008) Perioperative fluid restriction reduces complications after major gastrointestinal surgery. Surgery 143, 466–468.
39. SM Abbas & AG Hill (2008) Systematic review of the literature for the use of oesophageal Doppler monitor for fluid replacement in major abdominal surgery. Anaesthesia 63, 44–51.
41. PB Hansen , BL Jensen & O Skott (1998) Chloride regulates afferent arteriolar contraction in response to depolarization. Hypertension 32, 1066–1070.
42. JC Mayberry , KJ Welker , RK Goldman (2003) Mechanism of acute ascites formation after trauma resuscitation. Arch Surg 138, 773–776.
43. Z Balogh , BA McKinley , CS Cocanour (2003) Supranormal trauma resuscitation causes more cases of abdominal compartment syndrome. Arch Surg 138, 637–642; discussion 642–633.
44. NJ Wilkes , R Woolf , M Mutch (2001) The effects of balanced versus saline-based hetastarch and crystalloid solutions on acid-base and electrolyte status and gastric mucosal perfusion in elderly surgical patients. Anesth Analg 93, 811–816.
45. A Shandall , R Lowndes & HL Young (1985) Colonic anastomotic healing and oxygen tension. Br J Surg 72, 606–609.
46. WG Sheridan , RH Lowndes & HL Young (1987) Tissue oxygen tension as a predictor of colonic anastomotic healing. Dis Colon Rectum 30, 867–871.
47. BA Cotton , JS Guy & JA Morris Jr ( 2006) The cellular, metabolic, and systemic consequences of aggressive fluid resuscitation strategies. Shock 26, 115–121.
48. G Marjanovic , C Villain , E Juettner (2009) Impact of different crystalloid volume regimes on intestinal anastomotic stability. Ann Surg 249, 181–185.
49. LD Plank , AB Connolly & GL Hill (1998) Sequential changes in the metabolic response in severely septic patients during the first 23 days after the onset of peritonitis (see comments). Ann Surg 228, 146–158.
50. DN Lobo , K Bjarnason , J Field (1999) Changes in weight, fluid balance and serum albumin in patients referred for nutritional support. Clin Nutr 18, 197–201.