This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. SE Kahn , RL Hull & KM Utzschneider (2006) Mechanisms linking obesity to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Nature 444, 840–846.
3. J Tuomilehto , J Lindstrom , JG Eriksson (2001) Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. N Engl J Med 344, 1343–1350.
5. CH Ruxton , SC Reed , MJ Simpson (2004) The health benefits of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: a review of the evidence. J Hum Nutr Diet 17, 449–459.
7. P Singer , H Shapiro , M Theilla (2008) Anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3 fatty acids in critical illness: novel mechanisms and an integrative perspective. Intensive Care Med 34, 1580–1592.
8. S Ikemoto , M Takahashi , N Tsunoda (1996) High-fat diet-induced hyperglycemia and obesity in mice: Differential effects of dietary oils. Metabolism 45, 1539–1546.
9. LH Storlien , EW Kraegen , DJ Chisholm (1987) Fish oil prevents insulin resistance induced by high-fat feeding in rats. Science 237, 885–888.
10. P Libby , J Plutzky (2007) Inflammation in diabetes mellitus: role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonists. Am J Cardiol 99, 27B–40B.
11. J Ruzickova , M Rossmeisl , T Prazak (2004) Omega-3 PUFA of marine origin limit diet-induced obesity in mice by reducing cellularity of adipose tissue. Lipids 39, 1177–1185.
12. P Flachs , O Horakova , P Brauner (2005) Polyunsaturated fatty acids of marine origin upregulate mitochondrial biogenesis and induce beta-oxidation in white fat. Diabetologia 48, 2365–2375.
13. O Kuda , T Jelenik , Z Jilkova (2009) n-3 Fatty acids and rosiglitazone improve insulin sensitivity through additive stimulatory effects on muscle glycogen synthesis in mice fed a high-fat diet. Diabetologia 52, 941–951.
15. C Couet , J Delarue , P Ritz (1997) Effect of dietary fish oil on body fat mass and basal fat oxidation in healthy adults. Int J Obes (Lond) 21, 637–643.
18. JA Nettleton & R Katz (2005) n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in type 2 diabetes: a review. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 428–440.
20. JT Brenna , N Salem Jr, AJ Sinclair (2009) alpha-Linolenic acid supplementation and conversion to n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in humans. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 80, 85–91.
22. F Massiera , P Saint-Marc , J Seydoux (2003) Arachidonic acid and prostacyclin signaling promote adipose tissue development: a human health concern? J Lipid Res 44, 271–279.
23. P Flachs , M Rossmeisl , M Bryhn (2009) Cellular and molecular effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on adipose tissue biology and metabolism. Clin Sci (Lond) 116, 1–16.
24. A Gonzalez-Periz , R Horrillo , N Ferre (2009) Obesity-induced insulin resistance and hepatic steatosis are alleviated by omega-3 fatty acids: a role for resolvins and protectins. FASEB J (Epublication ahead of print version; doi: 10.1096/fj.08–125674).
26. JM Schwab , N Chiang , M Arita (2007) Resolvin E1 and protectin D1 activate inflammation-resolution programmes. Nature 447, 869–874.
27. LM Sanderson , PJ de Groot , GJ Hooiveld (2008) Effect of synthetic dietary triglycerides: a novel research paradigm for nutrigenomics. PLoS ONE 3, e1681.
28. S Luquet , C Gaudel , D Holst (2005) Roles of PPAR delta in lipid absorption and metabolism: a new target for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Biochim Biophys Acta 1740, 313–317.
29. L Madsen , RK Petersen & K Kristiansen (2005) Regulation of adipocyte differentiation and function by polyunsaturated fatty acids. Biochim Biophys Acta 1740, 266–286.
30. S Neschen , K Morino , J Dong (2007) n-3 Fatty acids preserve insulin sensitivity in vivo in a PPAR-alpha-dependent manner. Diabetes 56, 1034–1041.
31. DB Jump (2004) Fatty acid regulation of gene transcription. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 41, 41–78.
32. S Neschen , K Morino , JC Rossbacher (2006) Fish oil regulates adiponectin secretion by a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-dependent mechanism in mice. Diabetes 55, 924–928.
33. M Teran-Garcia , AW Adamson , G Yu (2007) Polyunsaturated fatty acid suppression of fatty acid synthase (FASN): evidence for dietary modulation of NF-Y binding to the Fasn promoter by SREBP-1c. Biochem J 402, 591–600.
34. EM van Schothorst , P Flachs , NL Franssen-van Hal (2009) Induction of lipid oxidation by polyunsaturated fatty acids of marine origin in small intestine of mice fed a high-fat diet. BMC Genomics 10, 110.
35. BM Jucker , GW Cline , N Barucci (1999) Differential effects of safflower oil versus fish oil feeding on insulin-stimulated glycogen synthesis, glycolysis, and pyruvate dehydrogenase flux in skeletal muscle: a 13C nuclear magnetic resonance study. Diabetes 48, 134–140.
36. G Suchankova , M Tekle , AK Saha (2005) Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids enhance hepatic AMP-activated protein kinase activity in rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 326, 851–858.
37. NK Gabler , JS Radcliffe , JD Spencer (2009) Feeding long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids during gestation increases intestinal glucose absorption potentially via the acute activation of AMPK. J Nutr Biochem 20, 17–25.
38. D Carling (2004) The AMP-activated protein kinase cascade – a unifying system for energy control. Trends Biochem Sci 29, 18–24.
39. DM Muoio & CB Newgard (2008) Mechanisms of disease: molecular and metabolic mechanisms of insulin resistance and beta-cell failure in type 2 diabetes. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 9, 193–205.
40. PS Sastry (1985) Lipids of nervous tissue: composition and metabolism. Prog Lipid Res 24, 69–176.
41. RB Heath , F Karpe , RW Milne (2003) Selective partitioning of dietary fatty acids into the VLDL TG pool in the early postprandial period. J Lipid Res 44, 2065–2072.
42. A Covaci , J de Boer , JJ Ryan (2002) Distribution of organobrominated and organochlorinated contaminants in Belgian human adipose tissue. Environ Res 88, 210–218.
45. W Stillwell , SR Shaikh , M Zerouga (2005) Docosahexaenoic acid affects cell signaling by altering lipid rafts. Reprod Nutr Dev 45, 559–579.
48. C Darimont , G Vassaux , G Ailhaud (1994) Differentiation of preadipose cells: paracrine role of prostacyclin upon stimulation of adipose cells by angiotensin-II. Endocrinology 135, 2030–2036.
49. M Korotkova , B Gabrielsson , M Lonn (2002) Leptin levels in rat offspring are modified by the ratio of linoleic to alpha-linolenic acid in the maternal diet. J Lipid Res 43, 1743–1749.
50. S Arenz , R Ruckerl , B Koletzko (2004) Breast-feeding and childhood obesity – a systematic review. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 1247–1256.
51. M Knip & HK Akerblom (2005) Early nutrition and later diabetes risk. Adv Exp Med Biol 569, 142–150.
53. YB Lombardo , G Hein & A Chicco (2007) Metabolic syndrome: effects of n-3 PUFAs on a model of dyslipidemia, insulin resistance and adiposity. Lipids 42, 427–437.
54. O Matejkova , KJ Mustard , J Sponarova (2004) Possible involvement of AMP-activated protein kinase in obesity resistance induced by respiratory uncoupling in white fat. FEBS Lett 569, 245–248.
55. L Orci , WS Cook , M Ravazzola (2004) Rapid transformation of white adipocytes into fat-oxidizing machines. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101, 2058–2063.
56. Y-T Zhou , Z-W Wang , M Higa (1999) Reversing adipocyte differentiation: Implications for treatment of obesity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96, 2391–2395.
57. JA Maassen , JA Romijn & RJ Heine (2007) Fatty acid-induced mitochondrial uncoupling in adipocytes as a key protective factor against insulin resistance and beta cell dysfunction: a new concept in the pathogenesis of obesity-associated type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 50, 2036–2041.
58. A Okuno , H Tamemoto , K Tobe (1998) Troglitazone increases the number of small adipocytes without the change of white adipose tissue mass in obese Zucker rats. J Clin Invest 101, 1354–1361.
59. J Todoric , M Loffler , J Huber (2006) Adipose tissue inflammation induced by high-fat diet in obese diabetic mice is prevented by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Diabetologia 49, 2109–2119.
61. X Yang & U Smith (2007) Adipose tissue distribution and risk of metabolic disease: does thiazolidinedione-induced adipose tissue redistribution provide a clue to the answer? Diabetologia 50, 1127–1139.
63. U Kintscher & RE Law (2005) PPARgamma-mediated insulin sensitization: the importance of fat versus muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288, E287–E291.
64. E Danforth Jr (2000) Failure of adipocyte differentiation causes type II diabetes mellitus? Nature Genetics 26, 13.
65. ED Abel , O Peroni , JK Kim (2001) Adipose-selective targeting of the GLUT4 gene impairs insulin action in muscle and liver. Nature 409, 729–733.
66. M Rossmeisl , T Jelenik , Z Jilkova (2009) Prevention and reversal of obesity and glucose intolerance in mice by DHA-derivatives. Obesity 17, 1023–1031.
67. S Cinti , G Mitchell , G Barbatelli (2005) Adipocyte death defines macrophage localization and function in adipose tissue of obese mice and humans. J Lipid Res 46, 2347–2355.
68. CN Lumeng , JB Delproposto , DJ Westcott (2008) Phenotypic switching of adipose tissue macrophages with obesity is generated by spatiotemporal differences in macrophage subtypes. Diabetes 57, 3239–3246.
70. MA Bouhlel , B Derudas , E Rigamonti (2007) PPARgamma activation primes human monocytes into alternative M2 macrophages with anti-inflammatory properties. Cell Metab 6, 137–143.
71. AS Rossi , YB Lombardo , JM Lacorte (2005) Dietary fish oil positively regulates plasma leptin and adiponectin levels in sucrose-fed, insulin-resistant rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 289, R486–R494.
72. P Flachs , V Mohamed-Ali , O Horakova (2006) Polyunsaturated fatty acids of marine origin induce adiponectin in mice fed high-fat diet. Diabetologia 49, 394–397.
73. T Yamauchi , J Kamon , Y Minokoshi (2002) Adiponectin stimulates glucose utilization and fatty-acid oxidation by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. Nat Med 8, 1288–1295.
74. AR Nawrocki , MW Rajala , E Tomas (2006) Mice lacking adiponectin show decreased hepatic insulin sensitivity and reduced responsiveness to peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma agonists. J Biol Chem 281, 2654–2660.
75. JD Krebs , LM Browning , NK McLean (2006) Additive benefits of long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and weight-loss in the management of cardiovascular disease risk in overweight hyperinsulinaemic women. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1535–1544.
76. J Sponarova , KJ Mustard , O Horakova (2005) Involvement of AMP-activated protein kinase in fat depot-specific metabolic changes during starvation. FEBS Lett 579, 6105–6110.