This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. A Hirasawa , K Tsumaya , T Awaji , (2005) Free fatty acids regulate gut incretin glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion through GPR120. Nat Med 11, 90–94.
3. X Li , L Staszewski , H Xu , (2002) Human receptors for sweet and umami taste. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99, 4692–4696.
4. JE Blevins & DG Baskin (2010) Hypothalamic-brainstem circuits controlling eating. Forum Nutr 63, 133–140.
5. DE Cummings & J Overduin (2007) Gastrointestinal regulation of food intake. J Clin Invest 117, 13–23.
6. HJ Grill & MR Hayes (2009) The nucleus tractus solitarius: a portal for visceral afferent signal processing, energy status assessment and integration of their combined effects on food intake. Int J Obes 33, Suppl. 1, S11–S15.
7. N Delzenne , J Blundell , F Brouns , (2010) Gastrointestinal targets of appetite regulation in humans. Obes Rev 11, 234–250.
8. MT Neary & RL Batterham (2009) Gut hormones: implications for the treatment of obesity. Pharmacol Ther 124, 44–56.
9. TH Moran & MJ Dailey (2011) Intestinal feedback signaling and satiety. Physiol Behav 105, 77–81.
10. D Grundy (2006) Signalling the state of the digestive tract. Auton Neurosci 125, 76–80.
11. RE Steinert & C Beglinger (2011) Nutrient sensing in the gut: interactions between chemosensory cells, visceral afferents and the secretion of satiation peptides. Physiol Behav 105, 62–70.
14. CR Abbott , M Monteiro , CJ Small , (2005) The inhibitory effects of peripheral administration of peptide YY(3–36) and glucagon-like peptide-1 on food intake are attenuated by ablation of the vagal-brainstem-hypothalamic pathway. Brain Res 1044, 127–131.
15. EB Ruttimann , M Arnold , JJ Hillebrand , (2009) Intrameal hepatic portal and intraperitoneal infusions of glucagon-like peptide-1 reduce spontaneous meal size in the rat via different mechanisms. Endocrinology 150, 1174–1181.
17. GW Cheung , A Kokorovic , CK Lam , (2009) Intestinal cholecystokinin controls glucose production through a neuronal network. Cell Metab 10, 99–109.
19. J Chandrashekar , KL Mueller , MA Hoon , (2000) T2Rs function as bitter taste receptors. Cell 100, 703–711.
20. GT Wong , KS Gannon & RF Margolskee (1996) Transduction of bitter and sweet taste by gustducin. Nature 381, 796–800.
21. W He , K Yasumatsu , V Varadarajan , (2004) Umami taste responses are mediated by alpha-transducin and alpha-gustducin. J Neurosci 24, 7674–7680.
22. D Liu & ER Liman (2003) Intracellular Ca2+ and the phospholipid PIP2 regulate the taste transduction ion channel TRPM5. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100, 15160–15165.
23. C Bezencon , J le Coutre & S Damak (2007) Taste-signaling proteins are coexpressed in solitary intestinal epithelial cells. Chem Senses 32, 41–49.
24. J Dyer , KS Salmon , L Zibrik , (2005) Expression of sweet taste receptors of the T1R family in the intestinal tract and enteroendocrine cells. Biochem Soc Trans 33, 302–305.
27. SV Wu , N Rozengurt , M Yang , (2002) Expression of bitter taste receptors of the T2R family in the gastrointestinal tract and enteroendocrine STC-1 cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99, 2392–2397.
30. CI Cheeseman (1993) GLUT2 is the transporter for fructose across the rat intestinal basolateral membrane. Gastroenterology 105, 1050–1056.
31. RF Margolskee , J Dyer , Z Kokrashvili , (2007) T1R3 and gustducin in gut sense sugars to regulate expression of Na + -glucose cotransporter 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104, 15075–15080.
33. V Tobin , M Le Gall , X Fioramonti , (2008) Insulin internalizes GLUT2 in the enterocytes of healthy but not insulin-resistant mice. Diabetes 57, 555–562.
34. E Rozengurt & C Sternini (2007) Taste receptor signaling in the mammalian gut. Curr Opin Pharmacol 7, 557–562.
35. AC Gerspach , RE Steinert , L Schonenberger , (2011) The role of the gut sweet taste receptor in regulating GLP-1, PYY, and CCK release in humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 301, E317–E325.
37. HJ Jang , Z Kokrashvili , MJ Theodorakis , (2007) Gut-expressed gustducin and taste receptors regulate secretion of glucagon-like peptide-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104, 15069–15074.
39. MC Geraedts , FJ Troost & WH Saris (2011) Different tastants and low-caloric sweetners induce differential effects on the release of satiety hormones. Food Chem 129, 8.
40. LJ Karhunen , KR Juvonen , A Huotari , (2008) Effect of protein, fat, carbohydrate and fibre on gastrointestinal peptide release in humans. Regul Pept 149, 70–78.
41. GQ Zhao , Y Zhang , MA Hoon , (2003) The receptors for mammalian sweet and umami taste. Cell 115, 255–266.
42. G Nelson , J Chandrashekar , MA Hoon , (2002) An amino-acid taste receptor. Nature 416, 199–202.
44. LA Blackshaw , AJ Page & RL Young (2011) Metabotropic glutamate receptors as novel therapeutic targets on visceral sensory pathways. Front Neurosci 5, 40.
45. AD Conigrave , SJ Quinn & EM Brown (2000) L-amino acid sensing by the extracellular Ca2+-sensing receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97, 4814–4819.
50. M Pi , P Faber , G Ekema , (2005) Identification of a novel extracellular cation-sensing G-protein-coupled receptor. J Biol Chem 280, 40201–40209.
51. HS Hundal & PM Taylor (2009) Amino acid transceptors: gate keepers of nutrient exchange and regulators of nutrient signaling. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296, E603–E613.
56. Y Hu , DE Smith , K Ma , (2008) Targeted disruption of peptide transporter Pept1 gene in mice significantly reduces dipeptide absorption in intestine. Mol Pharm 5, 1122–1130.
57. MS Kilberg , YX Pan , H Chen , (2005) Nutritional control of gene expression: how mammalian cells respond to amino acid limitation. Annu Rev Nutr 25, 59–85.
58. N Chotechuang , D Azzout-Marniche , C Bos , (2009) mTOR, AMPK, and GCN2 coordinate the adaptation of hepatic energy metabolic pathways in response to protein intake in the rat. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297, E1313–E1323.
60. A Bensaid , D Tome , D Gietzen , (2002) Protein is more potent than carbohydrate for reducing appetite in rats. Physiol Behav 75, 577–582.
62. CA Leech & JF Habener (2003) Regulation of glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor and calcium-sensing receptor signaling by L-histidine. Endocrinology 144, 4851–4858.
63. T Hira , S Nakajima , Y Eto , (2008) Calcium-sensing receptor mediates phenylalanine-induced cholecystokinin secretion in enteroendocrine STC-1 cells. FEBS J 275, 4620–4626.
64. S Nakajima , T Hira , Y Eto , (2010) Soybean beta 51–63 peptide stimulates cholecystokinin secretion via a calcium-sensing receptor in enteroendocrine STC-1 cells. Regul Pept 159, 148–155.
65. M Cordier-Bussat , C Bernard , S Haouche , (1997) Peptones stimulate cholecystokinin secretion and gene transcription in the intestinal cell line STC-1. Endocrinology 138, 1137–1144.
73. AJ Brown , SM Goldsworthy , AA Barnes , (2003) The Orphan G protein-coupled receptors GPR41 and GPR43 are activated by propionate and other short chain carboxylic acids. J Biol Chem 278, 11312–11319.
76. A Stahl , DJ Hirsch , RE Gimeno , (1999) Identification of the major intestinal fatty acid transport protein. Mol Cell 4, 299–308.
77. VA Drover , DV Nguyen , CC Bastie , (2008) CD36 mediates both cellular uptake of very long chain fatty acids and their intestinal absorption in mice. J Biol Chem 283, 13108–13115.
78. F Nassir , B Wilson , X Han , (2007) CD36 is important for fatty acid and cholesterol uptake by the proximal but not distal intestine. J Biol Chem 282, 19493–19501.
79. J Shim , CL Moulson , EP Newberry , (2009) Fatty acid transport protein 4 is dispensable for intestinal lipid absorption in mice. J Lipid Res 50, 491–500.
80. DM Breen , CS Yang & TK Lam (2011) Gut-brain signalling: how lipids can trigger the gut. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 27, 113–119.
83. T Tanaka , S Katsuma , T Adachi , (2008) Free fatty acids induce cholecystokinin secretion through GPR120. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 377, 523–527.
85. AP Liou , X Lu , Y Sei , (2011) The G-protein-coupled receptor GPR40 directly mediates long-chain fatty acid-induced secretion of cholecystokinin. Gastroenterology 140, 903–912.
87. J Maljaars , EA Romeyn , E Haddeman , (2009) Effect of fat saturation on satiety, hormone release, and food intake. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 1019–1024.
88. PW Maljaars , T Symersky , BC Kee , (2008) Effect of ileal fat perfusion on satiety and hormone release in healthy volunteers. Int J Obes (2005) 32, 1633–1639.
94. KB Hansen , MM Rosenkilde , FK Knop , (2011) 2-Oleoyl glycerol is a GPR119 agonist and signals GLP-1 release in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96, E1409–E1417.
97. PY Wang , L Caspi , CK Lam , (2008) Upper intestinal lipids trigger a gut-brain-liver axis to regulate glucose production. Nature 452, 1012–1016.
98. Z Hu , Y Dai , M Prentki , (2005) A role for hypothalamic malonyl-CoA in the control of food intake. J Biol Chem 280, 39681–39683.
99. BB Kahn , T Alquier , D Carling , (2005) AMP-activated protein kinase: ancient energy gauge provides clues to modern understanding of metabolism. Cell Metab 1, 15–25.
100. TM Loftus , DE Jaworsky , GL Frehywot , (2000) Reduced food intake and body weight in mice treated with fatty acid synthase inhibitors. Science 288, 2379–2381.
101. S Janssen , J Laermans , PJ Verhulst , (2011) Bitter taste receptors and alpha-gustducin regulate the secretion of ghrelin with functional effects on food intake and gastric emptying. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108, 2094–2099.
102. J Schwarz , J Burguet , O Rampin , (2010) Three-dimensional macronutrient-associated Fos expression patterns in the mouse brainstem. PloS One 5, e8974.
106. W Nefti , C Chaumontet , G Fromentin , (2009) A high-fat diet attenuates the central response to within-meal satiation signals and modifies the receptor expression of vagal afferents in mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296, R1681–R1686.