This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DM Eisenberg , RC Kessler , C Foster , FE Norlock , DR Calkins & TL Delbanco (1993) Unconventional medicine in the United States. Prevalence, costs and pattern of use. N Engl J Med 328, 246–252.
2. E Ernst & BR Cassileth (1999) How useful are unconventional cancer treatments? Eur J Cancer 35, 1608–1613.
4. U Werneke , T Turner & S Priebe (2006) Complementary alternative medicine in psychiatry: a review of effectiveness and safety. Br J Psych 188, 109–121.
6. J Unutzer , R Klap , R Sturm , AS Young , T Marmon , J Shatkin & KB Wells (2000) Mental disorders and the use of alternative medicine: results from a national survey. Am J Psychiatry 157, 1851–1857.
12. EN Drake (2006) Cancer chemoprevention: selenium as a prooxidant, not an antioxidant. Med Hypotheses 67, 318–322.
15. EH Turner & AD Blackwell (2005) 5-Hydroxytryptophan plus SSRIs for interferon-induced depression: synergistic mechanisms for normalizing synaptic serotonin. Med Hypothesis 65, 138–144.
16. K Shaw , J Turner & C Del Mar (2002) Are tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan effective treatments for depression? A meta-analysis. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36, 488–491.
18. M Morris , M Fava & PF Jaques (2003) Depression and folate status in the US population. Psychothep Psychosom 72, 80–87.
19. G Schreiber & S Avissar (2005) Regulators of G-protein-coupled receptor-G-protein coupling: antidepressants mechanism of action. Expert Rev Neurother 7, 75–84.
20. CG Hahn , Umapathy , HY Wang , R Koneru , DF Levinson & E Friedman (2005) Lithium and valproic acid treatments reduce PKC activation and receptor-G protein coupling in platelets of bipolar manic patients. J Psychiatr Res 39, 355–363.
23. MJ Taylor , S Carney , J Geddes & G Goodwin (2003) Folate for depressive disorders. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, issue 2, art no. CD003390. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
24. B Hallahan & MR Garland (2005) Essential fatty acids and mental health. Br J Psychiatry 186, 275–277.
25. MP Freeman , JR Hibbeln , KL Wisner (2006) Omega-3 fatty acids: evidence basis for treatment and future research in psychiatry. J Clin Psychiatry 67, 1954–1967.
27. SM Dursun , JR Blackburn & SP Kutcher (2001) An exploratory approach to the serotonergic hypothesis of depression: bridging the synaptic gap. Med Hypothesis 56, 235–243.
28. L Cheng , M Lumb , L Polgar & AW Mudge (2005) How can the mood stabilizer VPA limit both mania and depression? Mol Cell Neurosci 29, 155–161.
30. J Levine (1997) Controlled trials of inositol in psychiatry. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 7, 147–155.
31. AA Nierenberg , MJ Ostacher , JR Calabrese (2006) Treatment-resistant bipolar depression: a STEP-BD equipoise randomized effectiveness trial of antidepressant augmentation with lamotrigine, inositol, or risperidone. Am J Psychiatry 163, 210–216.
32. A Eden Evins , C Demopulos , I Yovel , M Culhane , J Ogutha , LD Grandin , AA Nierenberg & GS Sachs (2006) Inositol augmentation of lithium or valproate for bipolar depression. Bipolar Disord 8, 168–174.
34. A Castano , A Ayala , JA Rodriguez-Gomez , AJ Herrera , J Cano & A Machado (1997) Low selenium diet increases the dopamine turnover in prefrontal cortex of the rat. Neurochem Int 30, 549–555.
35. WC Hawkes & L Hornbostel (1996) Effects of dietary selenium on mood in healthy men living in a metabolic research unit. Biol Psychiatry 39, 121–128.
38. KM Hayden , KA Welsh-Bohmer , HJ Wengreen , P Zandi , C Lyketsos & J Breitner (2007) Risk of mortality with vitamin E supplements: the Cache County study. Am J Med 120, 180–184.
41. PC Dagnelie , AG Schuurman , RA Goldbohm & PA Van den Brandt (2004) Diet, anthropometric measures and prostate cancer risk: a review of prospective cohort and intervention studies. BJU Int 93, 1139–1150.
44. U Werneke , J Earl , C Seydel , O Horn , P Crichton & D Fannon (2004) Potential health risks of complementary alternative medicines in cancer patients. Br J Cancer 90, 408–413.
47. HE Bays (2006) Safety considerations with omega-3 fatty acid therapy. Am J Cardiol 99, 35C–43C.
49. TJ Simat , KK Kleeberg , B Muller & A Sierts (1999) Synthesis, formation, and occurrence of contaminants in biotechnologically manufactured L-tryptophan. Adv Exp Med Biol 467, 469–480.
55. GM D'Andrea (2005) Use of antioxidants during chemotherapy and radiotherapy should be avoided. CA Cancer J Clin 55, 319–321.
57. AL Stoll , WE Severus , MP Freeman , S Rueter , HA Zboyan , E Diamond , KK Cress & LB Marangell (1999) Omega 3 fatty acids in bipolar disorder: a preliminary double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry 56, 407–412.
58. WS Harris (2007) Expert opinion: omega-3 fatty acids and bleeding – cause for concern? Am J Cardiol 99, 44C–46C.
59. EM McClaskey & E Michalets (2007) Subdural hematoma after a fall in an elderly patient taking high-dose omega-3 fatty acids with warfarin and aspirin: case report and review of the literature. Pharmacotherapy 27, 152–160.
63. SM Bryant & J Kolodchak (2004) Serotonin syndrome resulting from a herbal detox cocktail. Am J Emerg Med 22, 625–626.
64. HA Friedel , KL Goa & P Benfield (1989) S-adenosyl-L-methionine. A review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic potential in liver dysfunction and affective disorders in relation to its physiological role in cell metabolism. Drugs 38, 389–416.
73. G Bjelakovic , D Nikolova , RG Simonetti & C Gluud (2004) Antioxidant supplements for prevention of gastrointestinal cancers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 364, 1219–1228.
74. G Lodi , A Sardella , C Bez , F Demarosi & A Carrassi (2006) Interventions for treating oral leukoplakia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, issue 4, art. no. CD001829. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
84. MC Nollevaux , Y Guiot , Y Horsmans , I Leclercq , J Rahier , AP Geubel & C Sempoux (2006) Hypervitaminosis A-induced liver fibrosis: stellate cell activation and daily dose consumption. Liver Int 26, 182–186.
85. WC Maddrey (2005) Drug-induced hepatotoxicity. J Clin Gastroenterol 39, Suppl. 2, S83–S89.
87. DI Friedman (2005) Medication-induced intracranial hypertension in dermatology. Am J Clin Dermatol 6, 29–37.
88. FW Fraunfelder & FT Fraunfelder (2004) Evidence for a probable causal relationship between tretinoin, acitretin, and etretinate and intracranial hypertension. J Neuroophthalmol 24, 214–216.
90. M Fakih , S Cao , FA Durrani & YM Rustum (2005) Selenium protects against toxicity induced by anticancer drugs and augments antitumor activity: a highly selective, new, and novel approach for the treatment of solid tumors. Clin Colorectal Cancer 5, 132–135.
91. RG Azrak , S Cao , L Pendyala , F Durrani , M Fakih , G Combs , J Prey , P Smith & Y Rustum (2007) Efficacy of increasing the therapeutic index of irinotecan, plasma and tissue selenium concentrations is methylselenocysteine dose dependent. Biochem Pharmacol 73, 1280–1287.
93. J Kohrle (2005) Selenium and the control of thyroid hormone metabolism. Thyroid 15, 841–853.
95. A Pace , A Savarese , M Picardo (2003) Neuroprotective effect of vitamin E supplementation in patients treated with cisplatin chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 21, 927–931.
101. H Koller , C Luley , B Klein , H Baum & HK Biesalski (1989) Contaminating substances in 22 over-the-counter fish oil and cod liver oil preparations: cholesterol, heavy metals and vitamin A. Z Ernahrungswiss 28, 76–83.