This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DL Hatfield , MJ Berry & VN Gladyshev (editors) (2006) Selenium: Its Molecular Biology and Role in Human Health. New York: Springer Science+Business Media, LLC.
2. JE Oldfield (2006) Selenium: a historical perspective. In Selenium: Its Molecular Biology and Role in Human Health, pp. 1–6 [ DL Hatfield , MJ Berry and VN Gladyshev , editors]. New York: Springer Science+Business Media, LLC.
3. K Schwarz & CM Foltz (1957) Selenium as an integral part of factor 3 against dietary necrotic liver degeneration. J Am Chem Soc 79, 3292–3293.
8. P Bhaskaram (2002) Micronutrient malnutrition, infection, and immunity: an overview. Nutr Rev 60, S40–S45.
9. KM Brown & JR Arthur (2001) Selenium, selenoproteins and human health: a review. Public Health Nutr 4, 593–599.
10. S Gromer , JK Eubel , BL Lee . (2005) Human selenoproteins at a glance. Cell Mol Life Sci 62, 2414–2437.
12. RC McKenzie , JR Arthur , SM Miller (2002) Selenium and the immune system. In Nutrition and Immune Function [ PC Calder , CJ Field and NS Gill , editors]. Oxford, UK: CAB International.
13. RC McKenzie , TS Rafferty , JR Arthur (2006) Effects of Se on immunity and aging. In Selenium: Its Molecular Biology and Role in Human Health, pp. 311–322 [ DL Hatfield , MJ Berry and VN Gladyshev , editors]. New York: Springer Science+Business Media, LLC.
14. JE Spallholz (1990) Selenium and glutathione peroxidase: essential nutrient and antioxidant component of the immune system. Adv Exp Med Biol 262, 145–158.
15. RJ Turner & JM Finch (1991) Selenium and the immune response. Proc Nutr Soc 50, 275–285.
16. PR Hoffmann (2007) Mechanisms by which Se influences immune responses. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 55, 289–297.
17. PR Hoffmann & MJ Berry (2008) The influence of Se on immune responses. Mol Nutr Food Res 52, 1273–1280.
19. DL Hatfield & VN Gladyshev (2002) How Se has altered our understanding of the genetic code. Mol Cell Biol 22, 3565–3576.
20. XM Xu , BA Carlson , Y Zhang (2007) New developments in Se biochemistry: selenocysteine biosynthesis in eukaryotes and archaea. Biol Trace Elem Res 119, 234–241.
21. RK Shrimali , RD Irons , BA Carlson (2008) Selenoproteins mediate T-cell immunity through an antioxidant mechanism. J Biol Chem 283, 20181–20185.
22. BA Carlson , MH Yoo , Y Sano (2009) Selenoproteins regulate macrophage invasiveness and extracellular matrix-related gene expression. BMC Immunol 10, 57.
23. T Suzuki , VP Kelly , H Motohashi (2008) Deletion of the selenocysteine tRNA gene in macrophages and liver results in compensatory gene induction of cytoprotective enzymes by Nrf2. J Biol Chem 283, 2021–2030.
24. GV Kryukov , S Castellano , SV Novoselov (2003) Characterization of mammalian selenoproteomes. Science 300, 1439–1443.
25. PR Hoffmann , SC Hoge , PA Li (2007) The selenoproteome exhibits widely varying, tissue-specific dependence on selenoprotein P for Se supply. Nucleic Acids Res 35, 3963–3973.
26. VN Gladyshev , TC Stadtman , DL Hatfield (1999) Levels of major selenoproteins in T-cells decrease during HIV infection and low molecular mass Se compounds increase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96, 835–839.
27. BA Carlson , SV Novoselov , E Kumaraswamy (2004) Specific excision of the selenocysteine tRNA[Ser]Sec (Trsp) gene in mouse liver demonstrates an essential role of selenoproteins in liver function. J Biol Chem 279, 8011–8017.
29. BE Hurwitz , JR Klaus , MM Llabre (2007) Suppression of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viral load with Se supplementation: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 167, 148–154.
31. DL Hatfield , BA Carlson , XM Xu (2006) Selenocysteine incorporation machinery and the role of selenoproteins in development and health. Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol 81, 97–142.
32. HY Hsu & MH Wen (2002) Lipopolysaccharide-mediated reactive oxygen species and signal transduction in the regulation of interleukin-1 gene expression. J Biol Chem 277, 22131–22139.
33. HS Park , HY Jung , EY Park . (2004) Cutting edge: direct interaction of TLR4 with NAD(P)H oxidase 4 isozyme is essential for lipopolysaccharide-induced production of reactive oxygen species and activation of NF-kappa B. J Immunol 173, 3589–3593.
34. R Brigelius-Flohe , B Friedrichs , S Maurer (1997) Interleukin-1-induced nuclear factor kappa B activation is inhibited by overexpression of phospholipid hydroperoxide glutathione peroxidase in a human endothelial cell line. Biochem J 328 (Pt 1), 199–203.
36. M Conrad , M Schneider , A Seiler . (2007) Physiological role of phospholipid hydroperoxide glutathione peroxidase in mammals. Biol Chem 388, 1019–1025.
37. BA Carlson , ME Moustafa , A Sengupta . (2007) Selective restoration of the selenoprotein population in a mouse hepatocyte selenoproteinless background with different mutant selenocysteine tRNAs lacking Um34. J Biol Chem 282, 32591–32602.
38. GS Hotamisligil (2010) Endoplasmic reticulum stress and the inflammatory basis of metabolic disease. Cell 140, 900–917.
39. GS Hotamisligil & E Erbay (2008) Nutrient sensing and inflammation in metabolic diseases. Nat Rev Immunol 8, 923–934.
40. JW Finley (2006) Bioavailability of Se in foods. Nutr Rev 64, 146–151.
41. MI Jackson & GF Combs Jr ( 2008) Selenium and anticarcinogenesis: Underlying mechanisms. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11, 718–726.