This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. NA Burd , JE Tang , DR Moore (2009) Exercise training and protein metabolism: influences of contraction, protein intake, and sex-based differences. J Appl Physiol 106, 1692–1701.
2. SM Phillips (2004) Protein requirements and supplementation in strength sports. Nutrition 20, 689–695.
3. MJ Rennie , H Wackerhage , EE Spangenburg (2004) Control of the size of the human muscle mass. Annu Rev Physiol 66, 799–828.
5. D Paddon-Jones & BB Rasmussen (2009) Dietary protein recommendations and the prevention of sarcopenia. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 12, 86–90.
10. DR Moore , SM Phillips , JA Babraj (2005) Myofibrillar and collagen protein synthesis in human skeletal muscle in young men after maximal shortening and lengthening contractions. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288, E1153–E1159.
14. MD de Boer , CN Maganaris , OR Seynnes (2007) Time course of muscular, neural and tendinous adaptations to 23 day unilateral lower-limb suspension in young men. J Physiol 583, 1079–1091.
15. EI Glover , SM Phillips , BR Oates (2009) Immobilization induces anabolic resistance in human myofibrillar protein synthesis with low and high dose amino acid infusion. J Physiol 586, 6049–6061.
16. SM Phillips , EI Glover & MJ Rennie (2009) Alterations of protein turnover underlying disuse atrophy in human skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol 107, 643–654.
18. KD Tipton , TA Elliott , MG Cree (2006) Stimulation of net muscle protein synthesis by whey protein ingestion before and after exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292, E71–E76.
19. S Fujita , HC Dreyer , MJ Drummond (2009) Essential amino acid and carbohydrate ingestion before resistance exercise does not enhance postexercise muscle protein synthesis. J Appl Physiol 106, 1730–1739.
21. DR Bolster , SJ Crozier , SR Kimball (2002) AMP-activated protein kinase suppresses protein synthesis in rat skeletal muscle through down-regulated mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) signaling. J Biol Chem 277, 23977–23980.
22. AJ Rose , TJ Alsted , TE Jensen (2009) A Ca(2+)-calmodulin-eEF2K-eEF2 signalling cascade, but not AMPK, contributes to the suppression of skeletal muscle protein synthesis during contractions. J Physiol 587, 1547–1563.
23. M Beelen , R Koopman , AP Gijsen (2008) Protein coingestion stimulates muscle protein synthesis during resistance-type exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295, E70–E77.
24. DR Moore , MJ Robinson , JL Fry (2009) Ingested protein dose response of muscle and albumin protein synthesis after resistance exercise in young men. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 161–168.
27. JC Anthony , AK Reiter , TG Anthony (2002) Orally administered leucine enhances protein synthesis in skeletal muscle of diabetic rats in the absence of increases in 4E-BP1 or S6K1 phosphorylation. Diabetes 51, 928–936.
28. PL Greenhaff , L Karagounis , N Peirce (2008) Disassociation between the effects of amino acids and insulin on signalling, ubiquitin-ligases and protein turnover in human muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295, E595–E604.
32. JE Tang , DR Moore , GW Kujbida (2009) Ingestion of whey hydrolysate, casein, or soy protein isolate: effects on mixed muscle protein synthesis at rest and following resistance exercise in young men. J Appl Physiol 107, 987–992.
34. CS Katsanos , H Kobayashi , M Sheffield-Moore (2006) A high proportion of leucine is required for optimal stimulation of the rate of muscle protein synthesis by essential amino acids in the elderly. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291, E381–E387.
35. LE Norton , DK Layman , P Bunpo (2009) The leucine content of a complete meal directs peak activation but not duration of skeletal muscle protein synthesis and mammalian target of rapamycin signaling in rats. J Nutr 139, 1103–1109.
36. PJ Atherton , K Smith , T Etheridge (2010) Distinct anabolic signalling responses to amino acids in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells. Amino Acids 38, 1533–1539.
38. I Rieu , M Balage , C Sornet (2006) Leucine supplementation improves muscle protein synthesis in elderly men independently of hyperaminoacidaemia. J Physiol 575, 305–315.
40. Y Boirie , M Dangin , P Gachon (1997) Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94, 14930–14935.
43. SM Phillips , JE Tang , & DR Moore (2009) The role of milk- and soy-based protein in support of muscle protein synthesis and muscle protein accretion in young and elderly persons. J Am Coll Nutr 28, 343–354.