1. Gluckman, PD & Hanson, MA (2004) Living with the past: Evolution, development, and patterns of disease. Science 305, 1733–1736.
2. Mathers, JC (2002) Pulses and carcinogenesis: Potential for the prevention of colon, breast and other cancers. Br J Nutr 88, Suppl. 3, S273–S279.
3. Bernstein, BE, Meissner, A & Lander, ES (2007) The mammalian epigenome. Cell 128, 669–681.
4. Kouzarides, T (2007) Chromatin modifications and their function. Cell 128, 693–705.
5. Jenuwein, T & Allis, CD (2001) Translating the histone code. Science 293, 1074–1080.
6. Eckhardt, F, Lewin, CD, Cortese, R et al. (2006) DNA methylation profiling of human chromosomes 6, 20 and 22. Nat Genet 38, 1378–1385.
7. Bastow, R, Mylne, JS, Lister, C, Lippman, Z, Martienssen, RA & Dean, C (2004) Vernalization requires epigenetic silencing of FLC by histone methylation. Nature 427, 164–167.
8. Kucharski, R, Maleszka, J, Foret, S & Maleszka, R (2008) Nutritional control of reproductive status in honeybees via DNA methylation. Science 319, 1827–1830.
9. Zoghbi, H & Beaudet, A (2007) Epigenetics and human disease. In Epigenetics, pp. 435–456 [Allis, C, Jenuwein, T and Reinberg, D editors]. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
10. Feinberg, AP (2007) Phenotypic plasticity and the epigenetics of human disease. Nature 447, 433–440.
11. Mathers, JC & McKay, JA (2008) Epigenetics – Potential contribution to fetal programming. Adv Exp Med Biol (In the Press).
12. Hatchwell, E & JM, Greally (2007) The potential role of epigenomic dysregulation in complex human disease. Trends Genet 23, 588–595.
13. Morgan, HD, Sutherland, HGE, Martin, DIK & Whitelaw, E (1999) Epigenetic inheritance at the agouti locus in the mouse. Nat Genet 23, 314–318.
14. Waterland, RA & Jirtle, RL (2003) Transposable elements: Targets for early nutritional effects on epigenetic gene regulation. Mol Cell Biol 23, 5293–5300.
15. Dolinoy, DC, Weidman, JR, Waterland, RA & Jirtle, RL (2006) Maternal genistein alters coat color and protects Avy mouse offspring from obesity by modifying the fetal epigenome. Environ Health Perspect 114, 567–572.
16. Sinclair, KD, Allegrucci, C, Singh, R et al. (2007) DNA methylation, insulin resistance, and blood pressure in offspring determined by maternal periconceptional B vitamin and methionine status. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104, 19351–19356.
17. Liu, D, Diorio, J, Tannenbaum, B, Caldji, C, Francis, D, Freedman, A, Sharma, S, Pearson, D, Plotsky, PM & Meaney, MJ (1997) Maternal care, hippocampal glucocorticoid receptors, and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal responses to stress. Science 277, 1659–1662.
18. Weaver, ICG, Cervoni, N, Champagne, FA, D'Alessio, AC, Sharma, S, Seckl, JR, Dymov, S, Szyf, M & Meaney, MJ (2004) Epigenetic programming by maternal behavior. Nat Neurosci 7, 847–854.
19. Szyf, M, I, Weaver & M, Meaney (2007) Maternal care, the epigenome and phenotypic differences in behavior. Reprod Toxicol 24, 9–19.
20. Fraga, MF, E, Ballestar, Paz, MF et al. (2005) Epigenetic differences arise during the lifetime of monozygotic twins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102, 10604–10609.
21. Martin, GM (2005) Epigenetic drift in aging identical twins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102, 10413–10414.
22. Rakyan, VK, Hildmann, T, Novik, KL et al. (2004) DNA methylation profiling of the human major histocompatibility complex: A pilot study for the Human Epigenome Project. PLoS Biol 2, e405.
23. Heijmans, BT, Kremer, D, Tobi, EW, Boomsma, DI & Slagboom, PE (2007) Heritable rather than age-related environmental and stochastic factors dominate variation in DNA methylation of the human IGF2/H19 locus. Hum Mol Genet 16, 547–554.
24. Bestor, TH (2000) The DNA methyltransferases of mammals. Hum Mol Genet 9, 2395–2402.
25. Cebrian, A, Pharoah, PD, Ahmed, S et al. (2006) Genetic variants in epigenetic genes and breast cancer risk. Carcinogenesis 27, 1661–1669.
27. Brena, RM, Huang, THM & Plass, C (2006) Toward a human epigenome. Nat Genet 38, 1359–1360.
28. Korshunova, Y, Maloney, RK, Lakey, N et al. (2008) Massively parallel bisulphite pyrosequencing reveals the molecular complexity of breast cancer-associated cytosine-methylation patterns obtained from tissue and serum DNA. Genome Res 18, 19–29.
29. Beck, S & Rakyan, VK (2008) The methylome: approaches for global DNA methylation profiling. Trends Genet 24, 231–237.
30. Jirtle, RL & Skinner, MK (2007) Environmental epigenomics and disease susceptibility. Nat Rev Genet 8, 253–262.