This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. KG Alberti , P Zimmet & J Shaw (2007) International Diabetes Federation: a consensus on type 2 diabetes prevention. Diabet Med 24, 451–463.
4. P Choudhary (2004) Review of dietary recommendations for diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 65, Suppl. 1, S9–S15.
7. RS Yalow & SA Berson (1960) Immunoassay of endogenous plasma insulin in man. J Clin Invest 39, 1157–1175.
8. TM Wallace & DR Mathews (2002) The assessment of insulin resistance in man. Diabet Med 19, 527–534.
9. SJ Hunter & WT Garvey (1998) Insulin action and insulin resistance: diseases involving defects in insulin receptors, signal transduction, and the glucose transport effector system. Am J Med 105, 331–345.
10. RA DeFronzo (1988) Lilly lecture 1987. The triumvirate: beta-cell, muscle, liver. A collusion responsible for NIDDM. Diabetes 37, 667–687.
11. SJ Hunter , AB Atkinson , CN Ennis (1996) Association between insulin secretory pulse frequency and peripheral insulin action in NIDDM and normal man. Diabetes 45, 683–686.
12. SJ Hunter , AC Boyd , F O'Harte , (2003) Demonstration of glycated insulin in human diabetic plasma and decreased biological activity assessed by euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamp technique in humans. Diabetes 52, 492–498.
14.The DECODE Study Group (1999) Glucose tolerance and mortality: comparison of WHO and American Diabetes Association diagnostic criteria. Lancet 354, 617–621.
17. GM Reaven (1988) Banting lecture 1988. Role of insulin resistance in human disease. Diabetes 37, 1595–1607.
18. P Hossain , B Kawar & M El Nahas (2007) Obesity and diabetes in the developing world – a growing challenge. N Engl J Med 356, 213–215.
19. MV Chakravarthy & FW Booth (2004) Eating, exercise, and ‘thrifty’ genotypes: connecting the dots toward an evolutionary understanding of modern chronic diseases. J Appl Physiol 96, 3–10.
20. FB Hu , RM van Dam & S Liu (2001) Diet and risk of type II diabetes: the role of types of fat and carbohydrate. Diabetologia 44, 805–817.
21. B Vessby (2000) Dietary fat and insulin action in humans. Br J Nutr 83, Suppl. 1, S91–S96.
22. G Frost & A Dornhorst (2000) The relevance of the glycaemic index to our understanding of dietary carbohydrates. Diabet Med 17, 336–345.
26. J Salmeron , JE Manson , MJ Stampfer (1997) Dietary fiber, glycemic load, and risk of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in women. JAMA 277, 472–477.
27. DR Matthews , JP Hosker , AS Rudenski (1985) Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28, 412–419.
28. P Home (1988) The OGTT: gold that does not shine. Diabet Med 5, 313–314.
32. RM van Dam , EB Rimm , WC Willett (2002) Dietary patterns and risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus in U.S. men. Ann Intern Med 136, 201–209.
33. J Salmeron , A Ascherio , EB Rimm (1997) Dietary fiber, glycemic load, and risk of NIDDM in men. Diabetes Care 20, 545–550.
35. JA Marshall , S Hoag , S Shetterly (1994) Dietary fat predicts conversion from impaired glucose tolerance to NIDDM. The San Luis Valley Diabetes Study. Diabetes Care 17, 50–56.
36. NH McClenaghan (2005) Determining the relationship between dietary carbohydrate intake and insulin resistance. Nutr Rev 18, 222–240.
37. TA Manolio , PJ Savage , GL Burke (1991) Correlates of fasting insulin levels in young adults: the CARDIA study. J Clin Epidem 44, 571–578.
38. SL Archer , K Liu , AR Dyer (1998) Relationship between changes in dietary sucrose and high density lipoprotein cholesterol: the CARDIA study. Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults. Ann Epidemiol 8, 433–438.
39. VA Koivisto & H Yki-Jarvinen (1993) Fructose and insulin sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetes. J Intern Med 233, 145–153.
43. RN Black , M Spence , RO McMahon (2006) Effect of eucaloric high- and low-sucrose diets with identical macronutrient profile on insulin resistance and vascular risk: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes 55, 3566–3572.
44. M Hamer & Y Chida (2007) Intake of fruit, vegetables, and antioxidants and risk of type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Hypertens 25, 2361–2369.
45. AH Harding , NJ Wareham , SA Bingham (2008) Plasma vitamin C level, fruit and vegetable consumption, and the risk of new-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus: the European Prospective Investigation of Cancer-Norfolk prospective study. Arch Intern Med 168, 1493–1499.
48. ES Ford , JC Will , BA Bowman (1999) Diabetes mellitus and serum carotenoids: findings from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Epidemiol 149, 168–176.
50. L Azadbakht , P Mirmiran , A Esmaillzadeh (2005) Beneficial effects of a Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension eating plan on features of the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Care 28, 2823–2831.
51. JD Ard , SC Grambow , D Liu (2004) The effect of the PREMIER interventions on insulin sensitivity. Diabetes Care 27, 340–347.
52. K Esposito , R Marfella , M Ciotola (2004) Effect of a Mediterranean-style diet on endothelial dysfunction and markers of vascular inflammation in the metabolic syndrome: a randomized trial. JAMA 292, 1440–1446.
53. NM Delzenne & PD Cani (2005) A place for dietary fibre in the management of the metabolic syndrome. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8, 636–640.
54. MB Schulze , M Schulz , C Heidemann (2007) Fiber and magnesium intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes: a prospective study and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 167, 956–965.
55. G Paolisso & D Giugliano (1996) Oxidative stress and insulin action: is there a relationship? Diabetologia 39, 357–363.
56. G Paolisso , A D'Amore , G Di Maro (1993) Evidence for a relationship between free radicals and insulin action in the elderly. Metabolism 42, 659–663.
57. GA Colditz , WC Willett , A Rotnitzky (1995) Weight gain as a risk factor for clinical diabetes mellitus in women. Ann Intern Med 122, 481–486.
58. I Abete , MD Parra , MA Zulet (2006) Different dietary strategies for weight loss in obesity: role of energy and macronutrient content. Nutr Res Rev 19, 5–17.
59. MR Freedman , J King & E Kennedy (2001) Popular diets: a scientific review. Obes Res 9, Suppl. 1, 1S–40S.
61. FF Samaha , N Iqbal , P Seshadri (2003) A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity. N Engl J Med 348, 2074–2081.
62. GD Foster , HR Wyatt , JO Hill (2003) A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity. N Engl J Med 348, 2082–2090.
63. FM Sacks , GA Bray , VJ Carey (2009) Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. N Engl J Med 360, 859–873.
65. J Tuomilehto , J Lindstrom , JG Eriksson (2001) Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. N Engl J Med 344, 1343–1350.