This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. GC Kennedy (1953) The role of depot fat in the hypothalamic control of food intake in the rat. Proc Royal Soc Lond B Biol Sci 140, 578–592.
2. SE Dominguez , JL Menkel , A Fairbrother (1993) The effect of 2,4-dinitrophenol on the metabolic rate of bobwhite quail. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 123, 226–233.
3. M Toyomizu , K Okamoto , M Tanaka (1992) Research note: effect of 2,4-dinitrophenol on growth and body composition of broilers. Poult Sci 71, 1096–1100.
4. CC Caldeira da Silva , FM Cerqueira , LF Barbosa (2008) Mild mitochondrial uncoupling in mice affects energy metabolism, redox balance and longevity. Aging Cell 7, 552–560.
5. WC Cutting , HG Mehrtens & ML Tainter (1933) Actions and uses of dinitrophenol. Promising metabolic applications. J Am Med Assoc 101, 193.
6. A Boveris & A Navarro (2008) Systemic and mitochondrial adaptive responses to moderate exercise in rodents. Free Radic Biol Med 44, 224–229.
7. V Golozoubova , H Gullberg , A Matthias (2004) Depressed thermogenesis but competent brown adipose tissue recruitment in mice devoid of all thyroid hormone receptors. Mol Endocrinol 18, 384–401.
9. L Nikonova , RA Koza , T Mendoza (2008) Mesoderm-specific transcript is associated with fat mass expansion in response to a positive energy balance. FASEB J 22, 3925–3937.
10. R Westerberg , JE Månsson , V Golozoubova (2006) ELOVL3 is an important component for early onset of lipid recruitment in brown adipose tissue. J Biol Chem 281, 4958–4968.
11. S Lee , A Dobrzyn , P Dobrzyn (2004) Lack of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 upregulates basal thermogenesis but causes hypothermia in a cold environment. J Lipid Res 45, 1674–1682.
12. H Sampath , MT Flowers , X Liu (2009) Skin-specific deletion of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 alters skin lipid composition and protects mice from high-fat diet-induced obesity. J Biol Chem 284, 19961–19973.
13. H Erikson , J Krog , KL Andersen (1956) The critical temperature in naked man. Acta Physiol Scand 37, 35–39.
14. J Nedergaard , V Golozoubova , A Matthias (2001) UCP1: the only protein able to mediate adaptive non-shivering thermogenesis and metabolic inefficiency. Biochim Biophys Acta 1504, 82–106.
16. N Petrovic , IG Shabalina , JA Timmons (2008) Thermogenically competent non-adrenergic recruitment in brown predipocytes by a PPARγ agonist. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295, E287–E296.
17. H Sell , JP Berger , P Samson (2004) Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma agonism increases the capacity for sympathetically mediated thermogenesis in lean and ob/ob mice. Endocrinology 145, 3925–3934.
18. P Trayhurn , PL Thurlby & W James (1977) Thermogenic defect in pre-obese ob/ob mice. Nature 266, 60–62.
20. NJ Rothwell & MJ Stock (1979) A role for brown adipose tissue in diet-induced thermogenesis. Nature 281, 31–35.
21. S Enerbäck , A Jacobsson , EM Simpson (1997) Mice lacking mitochondrial uncoupling protein are cold-sensitive but not obese. Nature 387, 90–94.
22. X Liu , M Rossmeisl , J McClaine (2003) Paradoxical resistance to diet-induced obesity in UCP1-deficient mice. J Clin Invest 111, 399–407.
23. HM Feldmann , V Golozoubova , B Cannon (2009) UCP1 ablation induces obesity and abolishes diet-induced thermogenesis in mice exempt from thermal stress by living at thermoneutrality. Cell Metab 9, 203–209.
24. J Nedergaard , T Bengtsson & B Cannon (2007) Unexpected evidence for active brown adipose tissue in adult humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293, E444–E452.
25. WD van Marken Lichtenbelt , JW Vanhommerig , NM Smulders (2009) Cold-activated brown adipose tissue in healthy men. N Engl J Med 360, 1500–1508.
26. KA Virtanen , ME Lidell , J Orava (2009) Functional brown adipose tissue in healthy adults. N Engl J Med 360, 1518–1525.
27. M Saito , Y Okamatsu-Ogura , M Matsushita (2009) High incidence of metabolically active brown adipose tissue in healthy adult humans: effects of cold exposure and adiposity. Diabetes 58, 1526–1531.
28. MC Zingaretti , F Crosta , A Vitali (2009) The presence of UCP1 demonstrates that metabolically active adipose tissue in the neck of adult humans truly represents brown adipose tissue. FASEB J (Epublication ahead of print version; doi: 10.1096/fj.09-133546).
30. N Nagai , N Sakane , LM Ueno (2003) The −3826 A→G variant of the uncoupling protein-1 gene diminishes postprandial thermogenesis after a high fat meal in healthy boys. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88, 5661–5667.
31. D Sramkova , S Krejbichova , J Vcelak (2007) The UCP1 gene polymorphism A-3826G in relation to DM2 and body composition in Czech population. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 115, 303–307.