This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3.Sedentary Behaviour Research Network (2012) Standardized use of the terms ‘sedentary’ and ‘sedentary behaviours’. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 37, 540–542.
4. N Owen , GN Healy , CE Matthews et al. (2010) Too much sitting: the population health science of sedentary behavior. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 38, 105–113.
5. AA Thorp , N Owen , M Neuhaus et al. (2011) Sedentary behaviors and subsequent health outcomes in adults a systematic review of longitudinal studies, 1996–2011. Am J Prev Med 41, 207–215.
6. R Mabry , E Winkler , E Eakin et al. (2012) Correlates of Omani adults’ physical inactivity and sitting time. Public Health Nutr (Epublication ahead of print version).
7. RM Mabry , EA Winkler , MM Reeves et al. (2012) Associations of physical activity and sitting time with the metabolic syndrome among Omani adults. Obesity (Silver Spring) 20, 2290–2295.
8. SW Ng , S Zaghloul , HI Ali et al. (2011) The prevalence and trends of overweight, obesity and nutrition-related non-communicable diseases in the Arabian Gulf States. Obes Rev 12, 1–13.
9. R Mabry , M Reeves , E Eakin et al. (2010) Gender differences in prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in Gulf Cooperation Council countries: a review. Diabet Med 27, 593–597.
12. AC King , D Stokols , E Talen et al. (2002) Theoretical approaches to the promotion of physical activity: forging a transdisciplinary paradigm. Am J Prev Med 23, 15–25.
13. N Owen , T Sugiyama , EE Eakin et al. (2011) Adults’ sedentary behavior determinants and interventions. Am J Prev Med 41, 189–196.
17. S Allender , E Gleeson , B Crammond et al. (2012) Policy change to create supportive environments for physical activity and healthy eating: which options are the most realistic for local government? Health Promot Int 27, 261–274.
18. HI Ali , LM Baynouna & RM Bernsen (2010) Barriers and facilitators of weight management: perspectives of Arab women at risk for type 2 diabetes. Health Soc Care Community 18, 219–228.
19. G Berger & A Peerson (2009) Giving young Emirati women a voice: participatory action research on physical activity. Health Place 15, 117–124.
20. TT Amin , W Suleman , A Ali et al. (2011) Pattern, prevalence, and perceived personal barriers toward physical activity among adult Saudis in Al-Hassa, KSA. J Phys Act Health 8, 775–784.
21. B Dicicco-Bloom & BF Crabtree (2006) The qualitative research interview. Med Educ 40, 314–321.
22. EH Bradley , LA Curry & KJ Devers (2007) Qualitative data analysis for health services research: developing taxonomy, themes, and theory. Health Serv Res 42, 1758–1772.
23. C Pope , S Ziebland & N Mays (2000) Qualitative research in health care. Analysing qualitative data. BMJ 320, 114–116.
24. N Mays & C Pope (2000) Qualitative research in health care. Assessing quality in qualitative research. BMJ 320, 50–52.
25. N Mays & C Pope (1995) Rigour and qualitative research. BMJ 311, 109–112.
27. N Daoud (2008) Challenges facing minority women in achieving good health: voices of Arab women in Israel. Women Health 48, 145–166.
29. D Kahan (2011) Arab American college students’ physical activity and body composition: reconciling Middle East–West differences using the socioecological model. Res Q Exerc Sport 82, 118–128.
30. LA Jaber , NR Pinelli , MB Brown et al. (2010) Feasibility of group lifestyle intervention for diabetes prevention in Arab Americans. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 91, 307–315.
31. K Siegel , KM Narayan & S Kinra (2008) Finding a policy solution to India's diabetes epidemic. Health Aff (Millwood) 27, 1077–1090.
32. BM Popkin , LS Adair & SW Ng (2012) Global nutrition transition and the pandemic of obesity in developing countries. Nutr Rev 70, 3–21.
33. KL Monda , P Gordon-Larsen , J Stevens et al. (2007) China's transition: the effect of rapid urbanization on adult occupational physical activity. Soc Sci Med 64, 858–870.
36. EB Kahn , LT Ramsey , RC Brownson et al. (2002) The effectiveness of interventions to increase physical activity. A systematic review. Am J Prev Med 22, 73–107.
37. GW Heath , RC Brownson , J Kruger et al. (2006) The effectiveness of urban design and land use and transport policies and practices to increase physical activity: a systematic review. J Phys Act Health 3, Suppl. 1, S55–S76.
39. J Ramadan , I Vuori , B Lankenau et al. (2010) Developing a national physical activity plan: the Kuwait example. Glob Health Promot 17, 52–57.
42. A Abduelkarem & M Sackville (2009) Changes of some health indicators in patients with type 2 diabetes: a prospective study in three community pharmacies in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. Libyan J Med 4, 31–36.
43. O Kalter-Leibovici , N Younis-Zeidan , A Atamna et al. (2010) Lifestyle intervention in obese Arab women: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 170, 970–976.