3.Sedentary Behaviour Research Network (2012) Standardized use of the terms ‘sedentary’ and ‘sedentary behaviours’. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 37, 540–542.
4. N Owen , GN Healy , CE Matthews et al. (2010) Too much sitting: the population health science of sedentary behavior. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 38, 105–113.
5. AA Thorp , N Owen , M Neuhaus et al. (2011) Sedentary behaviors and subsequent health outcomes in adults a systematic review of longitudinal studies, 1996–2011. Am J Prev Med 41, 207–215.
6. R Mabry , E Winkler , E Eakin et al. (2012) Correlates of Omani adults’ physical inactivity and sitting time. Public Health Nutr (Epublication ahead of print version).
7. RM Mabry , EA Winkler , MM Reeves et al. (2012) Associations of physical activity and sitting time with the metabolic syndrome among Omani adults. Obesity (Silver Spring) 20, 2290–2295.
8. SW Ng , S Zaghloul , HI Ali et al. (2011) The prevalence and trends of overweight, obesity and nutrition-related non-communicable diseases in the Arabian Gulf States. Obes Rev 12, 1–13.
9. R Mabry , M Reeves , E Eakin et al. (2010) Gender differences in prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in Gulf Cooperation Council countries: a review. Diabet Med 27, 593–597.
12. AC King , D Stokols , E Talen et al. (2002) Theoretical approaches to the promotion of physical activity: forging a transdisciplinary paradigm. Am J Prev Med 23, 15–25.
13. N Owen , T Sugiyama , EE Eakin et al. (2011) Adults’ sedentary behavior determinants and interventions. Am J Prev Med 41, 189–196.
17. S Allender , E Gleeson , B Crammond et al. (2012) Policy change to create supportive environments for physical activity and healthy eating: which options are the most realistic for local government? Health Promot Int 27, 261–274.
18. HI Ali , LM Baynouna & RM Bernsen (2010) Barriers and facilitators of weight management: perspectives of Arab women at risk for type 2 diabetes. Health Soc Care Community 18, 219–228.
19. G Berger & A Peerson (2009) Giving young Emirati women a voice: participatory action research on physical activity. Health Place 15, 117–124.
20. TT Amin , W Suleman , A Ali et al. (2011) Pattern, prevalence, and perceived personal barriers toward physical activity among adult Saudis in Al-Hassa, KSA. J Phys Act Health 8, 775–784.
21. B Dicicco-Bloom & BF Crabtree (2006) The qualitative research interview. Med Educ 40, 314–321.
22. EH Bradley , LA Curry & KJ Devers (2007) Qualitative data analysis for health services research: developing taxonomy, themes, and theory. Health Serv Res 42, 1758–1772.
23. C Pope , S Ziebland & N Mays (2000) Qualitative research in health care. Analysing qualitative data. BMJ 320, 114–116.
24. N Mays & C Pope (2000) Qualitative research in health care. Assessing quality in qualitative research. BMJ 320, 50–52.
25. N Mays & C Pope (1995) Rigour and qualitative research. BMJ 311, 109–112.
27. N Daoud (2008) Challenges facing minority women in achieving good health: voices of Arab women in Israel. Women Health 48, 145–166.
29. D Kahan (2011) Arab American college students’ physical activity and body composition: reconciling Middle East–West differences using the socioecological model. Res Q Exerc Sport 82, 118–128.
30. LA Jaber , NR Pinelli , MB Brown et al. (2010) Feasibility of group lifestyle intervention for diabetes prevention in Arab Americans. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 91, 307–315.
31. K Siegel , KM Narayan & S Kinra (2008) Finding a policy solution to India's diabetes epidemic. Health Aff (Millwood) 27, 1077–1090.
32. BM Popkin , LS Adair & SW Ng (2012) Global nutrition transition and the pandemic of obesity in developing countries. Nutr Rev 70, 3–21.
33. KL Monda , P Gordon-Larsen , J Stevens et al. (2007) China's transition: the effect of rapid urbanization on adult occupational physical activity. Soc Sci Med 64, 858–870.
36. EB Kahn , LT Ramsey , RC Brownson et al. (2002) The effectiveness of interventions to increase physical activity. A systematic review. Am J Prev Med 22, 73–107.
37. GW Heath , RC Brownson , J Kruger et al. (2006) The effectiveness of urban design and land use and transport policies and practices to increase physical activity: a systematic review. J Phys Act Health 3, Suppl. 1, S55–S76.
39. J Ramadan , I Vuori , B Lankenau et al. (2010) Developing a national physical activity plan: the Kuwait example. Glob Health Promot 17, 52–57.
42. A Abduelkarem & M Sackville (2009) Changes of some health indicators in patients with type 2 diabetes: a prospective study in three community pharmacies in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. Libyan J Med 4, 31–36.
43. O Kalter-Leibovici , N Younis-Zeidan , A Atamna et al. (2010) Lifestyle intervention in obese Arab women: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 170, 970–976.