This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
6. SA Materechera (2010) Utilization and management practices of animal manure for replenishing soil fertility among smallscale crop farmers in semi-arid farming districts of the North West Province, South Africa. Nutr Cycl Agroecosys 87, 415–428.
7. W Stepniewski , R Horn & S Martyniuk (2002) Managing soil biophysical properties for environmental protection. Agric Ecosyst Environ 88, 175–181.
8. S Dang , H Yan , S Yamamoto et al. (2004) Poor nutritional status of younger Tibetan children living at high altitudes. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 938–946.
9. A Ghosh & GK Kshatriya (2009) Anthropometric and body composition characteristics among preschool children of Coastal, Himalayan and Desert Ecology in India. Anthropol Anz 67, 229–236.
11. D Balk , A Storeygard , M Levy et al. (2005) Child hunger in the developing world: an analysis of environmental and social correlates. Food Policy 30, 584–611.
13. N Dickinson , G Macpherson , AS Hursthouse et al. (2009) Micronutrient deficiencies in maternity and child health: a review of environmental and social context and implications for Malawi. Environ Geochem Health 31, 253–272.
14. M-A Prost , A Jahn , S Floyd et al. (2008) Implication of new WHO growth standards on identification of risk factors and estimated prevalence of malnutrition in rural Malawian infants. PLoS ONE 3, e2684.
17. DM Olson , E Dinerstein , ED Wikramanayake et al. (2001) Terrestrial ecoregions of the worlds: a new map of life on Earth. Bioscience 51, 933–938.
18. JC Fotso (2007) Urban–rural differentials in child malnutrition: trends and socioeconomic correlates in sub-Saharan Africa. Health Place 13, 205–223.
19. MB Frost , R Forste & DW Haas (2005) Maternal education and child nutritional status in Bolivia: finding the links. Soc Sci Med 60, 395–407.
20. R Hong (2007) Effect of economic inequality on chronic childhood undernutrition in Ghana. Public Health Nutr 10, 371–378.
24. JC Fotso & B Kuate-Defo (2005) Socioeconomic inequalities in early childhood malnutrition and morbidity: modification of the household-level effects by the community SES. Health Place 11, 205–225.
25. E Van de Poel , AR Hosseinpoor , C Jehu-Appiah et al. (2007) Malnutrition and the disproportional burden on the poor: the case of Ghana. Int J Equity Health 6, 21.
26. IMD Khatib & I Elmadfa (2009) Poor nutritional health of Bedouin preschool children in Jordan: the irony of urbanization. Ann Nutr Metab 54, 301–309.
27. H Wamani , AN Astrom , S Peterson et al. (2006) Predictors of poor anthropometric status among children under 2 years of age in rural Uganda. Public Health Nutr 9, 320–326.
28. H Wamani , AN Astrom , S Peterson et al. (2007) Boys are more stunted than girls in sub-Saharan Africa: a meta-analysis of 16 demographic and health surveys. BMC Pediatr 7, 17.
29. E Bloss , F Wainaina & RC Bailey (2004) Prevalence and predictors of underweight, stunting, and wasting among children aged 5 and under in western Kenya. J Trop Pediatr 50, 260–270.
32. GCP Singh , M Nair , RB Grubesic et al. (2009) Factors associated with underweight and stunting among children in rural terai of Eastern Nepal. Asia Pac J Public Health 21, 144–152.
33. J Bronte-Tinkew & G DeJong (2004) Children's nutrition in Jamaica: do household structure and household economic resources matter? Soc Sci Med 58, 499–514.
36. OA Uthman , T Moradi & S Lawoko (2009) The independent contribution of individual-, neighbourhood-, and country-level socioeconomic position on attitudes towards intimate partner violence against women in sub-Saharan Africa: a multilevel model of direct and moderating effects. Soc Sci Med 68, 1801–1809.
39. EK Colecraft , GS Marquis , AA Bartolucci et al. (2004) A longitudinal assessment of the diet and growth of malnourished children participating in nutrition rehabilitation centres in Accra, Ghana. Public Health Nutr 7, 487–494.
40. R Hong (2006) Effect of multiple birth on infant mortality in Bangladesh. J Paediatr Child Health 42, 630–635.
41. MR Carter & JA Maluccio (2003) Social capital and coping with economic shocks: an analysis of stunting of South African children. World Dev 31, 1147–1163.
43. H Alderman , J Hentschel & R Sabates (2003) With the help of one's neighbors: externalities in the production of nutrition in Peru. Soc Sci Med 56, 2019–2031.