1. Musaiger, AO (2004) Overweight and obesity in Eastern Mediterranean Region: can we control it? East Mediterr Health J 10, 789–793.
2. Patterson, R, Risby, A & Chan, MY (2012) Consumption of takeaway and fast food in a deprived inner London borough: are they associated with childhood obesity? BMJ Open 2, e000402.
3. Dehghan, M, Akhtar-Danesh, N & Merchant, AT (2005) Childhood obesity, prevalence and prevention. Nutr J 4, 24.
4. World Health Organization (2000) Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation. WHO Technical Report Series no. 894. Geneva: WHO.
5. Keding, GB, Msuya, JM, Maass, BL et al. (2013) Obesity as a public health problem among adult women in rural Tanzania.
Glob J Health Sci
6. Gupta, N, Goel, K, Shah, P et al. (2012) Childhood obesity in developing countries: epidemiology, determinants, and prevention. Endocr Rev 33, 48–70.
7. De Onis, M, Blössner, M & Borghi, E (2010) Global prevalence and trends of overweight and obesity among preschool children. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1257–1264.
8. Abdul-Rasoul, M (2012) Obesity in children and adolescents in Gulf countries: facts and solutions. Avances en Diabetología 28, 64–69.
9. Singh, M & Sharma, M (2005) Risk factors for obesity in children. Indian Pediatr 42, 183–185.
10. Mosha, T & Fungo, S (2010) Prevalence of overweight and obesity among children aged 6–12 years in Dodoma and Kinondoni Municipalities, Tanzania. Tanzan J Health Res 12, 6–16.
11. Wang, Y & Lobstein, T (2006) Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and obesity. Int J Pediar Obes 1, 11–25.
12. Kelishadi, R (2007) Childhood overweight, obesity, and the metabolic syndrome in developing countries. Epidemiol Rev 29, 62–76.
13. World Health Organization Consultation on Obesity (1997) Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic: Report of a WHO Consultation on Obesity, Geneva, Switzerland, 3–5 June 1997. Geneva: WHO.
16. James, P (2004) Obesity: the worldwide epidemic. Clin Dermatol 23, 276–280.
17. Cole, TJ, Flegal, KM, Nicholls, D et al. (2007) Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey. BMJ 335, 194.
18. Addo, O & Himes, J (1998) Reference curves for triceps and subscapular skinfold thicknesses in US children and adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 635–642.
19. Mahajan, P, Purty, A, Singh, Z et al. (2011) Study of childhood obesity among school children aged 6 to 12 years in Union Territory of Puducherry. Indian J Community Med 36, 45–50.
20. Chu, NF (2001) Prevalence and trends of obesity among school children in Taiwan – the Taipei Children Heart Study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 170–176.
21. Musaiger, AO (2011) Overweight and obesity in Eastern Mediterranean region: prevalence and possible causes. J Obes 2011, 407237.
22. Jeffry, AN & Voss, LD (2004) Parents’ awareness of overweight in themselves and their children: cross sectional study within a cohort (Early Bird 21). BMJ 330, 23.
23. Geer, EB & Shen, W (2009) Gender differences in insulin resistance, body composition and energy balance. Gend Med 6, 60–75.
24. Waters, E, de Silva Sanigorski, A, Hall, B et al. (2011) Interventions for preventing obesity in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev issue 12, CD001871.
25. Itoi, A, Yamada, Y, Watanabe, Y et al. (2012) Physical activity, energy intake, and obesity prevalence among urban and rural schoolchildren aged 11–12 years in Japan. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 37, 1189–1199.
26. Van Sluijs, EM, Fearne, VA, Mattocks, C et al. (2009) The contribution of active travel to children’s physical activity levels: cross-sectional results from the ALSPAC study. Prev Med 48, 519–524.
27. World Health Organization (2008) Physical Inactivity: A Global Public Health Problem. Geneva: WHO.
28. Birch, L & Fisher, J (2010) Development of eating behaviors among children and adolescents. Pediatr 101, Suppl. 2, 539–549.
29. Larson, N & Story, M (2013) A review of snacking patterns among children and adolescents: what are the implications of snacking for weight status? Child Obes 9, 104–115.
30. Cadogan, J, Blumsohn, A, Barker, ME et al. (1998) A longitudinal study of bone gain in pubertal girls: anthropometric and biochemical correlates. J Bone Miner Res 13, 1602–1612.