2. Thijssen, E, van Caam, A & van der Kraan, PM (2015) Obesity and osteoarthritis, more than just wear and tear: pivotal roles for inflamed adipose tissue and dyslipidaemia in obesity-induced osteoarthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 54, 588–600.10.1093/rheumatology/keu464
3. Grossschadl, F, Freidl, W, Rasky, E et al. (2014) A 35-year trend analysis for back pain in Austria: the role of obesity. PLoS One 9, e107436.10.1371/journal.pone.0107436
4. Vaneckova, I, Maletinska, L, Behuliak, M et al. (2014) Obesity-related hypertension: possible pathophysiological mechanisms. J Endocrinol 223, R63–R78.10.1530/JOE-14-0368
5. Xiao, X, Liu, Y, Sun, C et al. (2015) Evaluation of different obesity indices as predictors of type 2 diabetes mellitus in a Chinese population. J Diabetes 7, 386–392.10.1111/1753-0407.12201
6. Ortega, FB, Sui, X, Lavie, CJ et al. (2016) Body mass index, the most widely used but also widely criticized index: would a criterion standard measure of total body fat be a better predictor of cardiovascular disease mortality? Mayo Clin Proc 91, 443–455.10.1016/j.mayocp.2016.01.008
7. Sabah, KM, Chowdhury, AW, Khan, HI et al. (2014) Body mass index and waist/height ratio for prediction of severity of coronary artery disease. BMC Res Notes 7, 246.10.1186/1756-0500-7-246
8. Son, YJ, Kim, J, Park, HJ et al. (2016) Association of waist–height ratio with diabetes risk: a 4-year longitudinal retrospective study. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul) 31, 127–133.10.3803/EnM.2016.31.1.127
9. Huxley, R, Mendis, S, Zheleznyaov, E et al. (2016) Body mass index, waist circumference and hip ratio as predictors of cardiovascular risk – a review of the literature. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 16–22.10.1038/ejcn.2009.68
10. Qiao, Q & Nyamdorji, R (2010) Is the association of type II diabetes with waist circumference or waist-to-hip ratio stronger than that with body mass index? Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 30–34.10.1038/ejcn.2009.93
11. Aune, D, Sen, A, Schlesinger, S et al. (2017) Body mass index, abdominal fatness, fat mass and the risk of arterial fibrillation: a systemic review and dose–response meta-analysis of prospective studies. Eur J Epidemiol 32, 181–192.10.1007/s10654-017-0232-4
12. Rahman, M & Berenson, A (2010) Accuracy of current body mass index obesity classification of white, black and Hispanic reproductive-age women. Obstet Gynecol 115, 982–988.10.1097/AOG.0b013e3181da9423
13. Anoop, M (2015) Ethnic specific criteria for classification of body mass index: a perspective for Asian Indians and American Diabetes Association Position Statement. Diabetes Technol Ther 17, 667–671.
15. Rothman, K (2008) BMI-related errors in the measurement of obesity. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, Suppl. 3, S56–S59.10.1038/ijo.2008.87
16. Klein, S, Allison, DB, Heym, S et al. (2007) Waist circumference and cardiometabolic risk. Am J Clin Nutr 85, 1197–1202.10.1093/ajcn/85.5.1197
17. Janssen, I, Katzmarzyk, P & Ross, R (2004) Waist circumference and not body mass index explains obesity related health risks. Am J Clin Nutr 79, 379–384.
18. Pasco, J, Holloway, K, Dobbins, A et al. (2014) Body mass index and measures of body fat for defining obesity and underweight: a cross sectional, population-based study. BMC Obes 1, 9.10.1186/2052-9538-1-9
19. Sharma, A & Kushner, RF (2009) A proposed clinical staging system for obesity. Int J Obes (Lond) 33, 289–295.10.1038/ijo.2009.2
20. Kim, Y (2014) The Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES): current status and challenges. Epidemiol Health 36, e2014002.
21. Parikh, RM, Joshi, SR, Menon, PS et al. (2007) Index of central obesity – a novel parameter. Med Hypotheses 68, 1272–1275.10.1016/j.mehy.2006.10.038
22. Ashwell, M, Gunn, P & Gibson, S (2012) Waist-to-height ratio is a better screening tool than waist circumference and BMI for adult cardiometabolic risk factors: systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Rev 13, 275–286.
23. Schneider, HJ, Friedrich, N, Klotsche, J et al. (2010) The predictive value of different measures of obesity for incident cardiovascular events and mortality. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95, 1777–1785.10.1210/jc.2009-1584
24. Bryant, CX & Greent, DJ (2008)
ACE Lifestyle & Weight Management Consultant Manual: The Ultimate Resource for Fitness Professionals. San Diego, CA: American Council on Exercise.
25. Berber, A, Gomez-Santos, R, Fanghanel, G et al. (2001) Anthropometric indexes in the prediction of type 2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension and dyslipidaemia in a Mexican population. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 1794–1799.10.1038/sj.ijo.0801827
26. Kuk, JL, Ardern, CI, Church, TS et al. (2011) Edmonton Obesity Staging System: association with weight history and mortality risk. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 36, 570–576.10.1139/h11-058
27. Page, J, Rexrode, K, Hu, F et al. (2009) Waist–height ratio as a predictor of coronary heart disease among women. Epidemiology 20, 361–366.10.1097/EDE.0b013e31819f38f1
28. Stephen, C (1962) Education and occupation. Br J Sociol 13, 33–42.
29. Khamis, FG, Hanoon, MF & Belarbi, A (2010) The relationship between education and occupation using fully and partially latent models. Int J Intell Technol Appl Stat 3, 309–322.
30. Gadar, L & Abony, J (2018) Graph configuration model based evaluation of the education–occupation match. PLoS One 13, e0192427.
31. An, R (2015) Educational disparity in obesity among US adults, 1984–2013.
Ann Epidemiol 25, 637-–642.10.1016/j.annepidem.2015.06.004
32. Wang, Z (2015) Age-dependent decline of association between obesity and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Res Clin Pract 9, 1–11.10.1016/j.orcp.2014.01.006
33. Jousilahti, P, Vartiainen, E, Tuomileht, J et al. (1999) Sex, age, cardiovascular risk factors and coronary heart disease. Circulation 99, 1165–1172.10.1161/01.CIR.99.9.1165
34. Davis, T, Millns, H, Stratton, I et al. (1999) Risk factors for stroke in type 2 diabetes mellitus: United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) 29. Arch Intern Med 159, 1097–1103.10.1001/archinte.159.10.1097
35. Hauer, A, Ruigrok, Y, Algra, A et al. (2017) Age specific vascular risk factor profiles according to stroke subtype. J Am Heart Assoc 6, e005090.10.1161/JAHA.116.005090
36. Vijan, S (2010) Type 2 diabetes. Ann Intern Med 152, 31–15.
37. Mancia, G, Fagard, R, Narkiewicz, K et al. (2013) 2013 ESH/ESC Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). J Hypertens 31, 1281–1357.10.1097/01.hjh.0000431740.32696.cc
38. National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) (2002) Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report. Circulation 106, 3143–3421.10.1161/circ.106.25.3143
39. National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions (2014) Chronic Kidney Disease (Partial Update): National Clinical Guideline for Early Identification and Management in Adults in Primary and Secondary Care. London: Royal College of Physicians.
40. Dyson, JK, Anstee, QM & McPherson, S (2014) Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a practical approach to treatment. Frontline Gastroenterol 5, 277–286.