This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. AK Kant & BI Graubard (2004) Eating out in America, 1987–2000: trends and nutritional correlates. Prev Med 38, 243–249.
3. TA Farley , A Caffarelli , MT Bassett et al. (2009) New York City's fight over calorie labeling. Health Aff (Millwood) 28, w1098–w1109.
SN Bleich & KM Pollack (2010) The public's understanding of daily caloric recommendations and their perceptions of calorie posting in chain restaurants. BMC Public Health
5. RA Krukowski , J Harvey-Berino , J Kolodinsky et al. (2006) Consumers may not use or understand calorie labeling in restaurants. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 917–920.
6. B Elbel , R Kersh , VL Brescoll et al. (2009) Calorie labeling and food choices: a first look at the effects on low-income people in New York City. Health Aff (Millwood) 28, w1110–w1121.
T Dumanovsky , CY Huang , MT Bassett
et al. (2010) Consumer awareness of fast-food calorie information in New York City after implementation of a menu labeling regulation. Am J Public Health
8. AH Auchincloss , G Mallya , B Loenberg et al. (2013) Customer responses to mandatory menu labeling at full service chain restaurants. Manuscript submitted to Am J Prev Med.
E Pulos & K Leng (2010) Evaluation of a voluntary menu-labeling program in full-service restaurants. Am J Public Health
15. M Brod , L Tesler & T Christensen (2009) Qualitative research and content validity: developing best practices based on science and experience. Qual Life Res 18, 1263–1278.
17. DV Ary , D Toobert , W Wilson et al. (1986) Patient perspective on factors contributing to nonadherence to diabetes regimen. Diabetes Care 9, 168–172.
18. HW Wu & R Sturm (2012) What's on the menu? A review of the energy and nutritional content of US chain restaurant menus. Public Health Nutr (Epublication ahead of print version).
19. S Burton , EH Creyer , J Kees et al. (2006) Attacking the obesity epidemic: the potential health benefits of providing nutrition information in restaurants. Am J Public Health 96, 1669–1675.
20. S Papadakis , AL Pipe , IA Moroz et al. (2010) Knowledge, attitudes and behaviours related to dietary sodium among 35- to 50-year-old Ontario residents. Can J Cardiol 26, e164–e169.
23. IH Steenhuis & WM Vermeer (2009) Portion size: review and framework for interventions. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6, 58.
25. RL Rothman , R Housam , H Weiss et al. (2006) Patient understanding of food labels: the role of literacy and numeracy. Am J Prev Med 31, 391–398.
26. M O'Dougherty , LJ Harnack , SA French et al. (2006) Nutrition labeling and value size pricing at fast-food restaurants: a consumer perspective. Am J Health Promot 20, 247–250.
27. SA Rydell , LJ Harnack , JM Oakes et al. (2008) Why eat at fast-food restaurants: reported reasons among frequent consumers. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 2066–2070.
LJ Harnack & SA French (2008) Effect of point-of-purchase calorie labeling on restaurant and cafeteria food choices: a review of the literature. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act
30. BE Saelens , K Glanz , JF Sallis et al. (2007) Nutrition Environment Measures Study in restaurants (NEMS-R): development and evaluation. Am J Prev Med 32, 273–281.
32. GI Feunekes , IA Gortemaker , AA Willems et al. (2008) Front-of-pack nutrition labelling: testing effectiveness of different nutrition labelling formats front-of-pack in four European countries. Appetite 50, 57–70.
33. CA Roberto , MA Bragg , MJ Seamans et al. (2012) Evaluation of consumer understanding of different front-of-package nutrition labels, 2010–2011. Prev Chronic Dis 9, E149.
JR Hebert , L Clemow , L Pbert
et al. (1995) Social desirability bias in dietary self-report may compromise the validity of dietary intake measures. Int J Epidemiol
35. YF Wang , MA Beydoun , L Liang et al. (2008) Will all Americans become overweight or obese? Estimating the progression and cost of the US obesity epidemic. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16, 2323–2330.
36. CP Herman , DA Roth & J Polivy (2003) Effects of the presence of others on food intake: a normative interpretation. Psychol Bull 129, 873–886.
37. B McFerran , DW Dahl , GJ Fitzsimons et al. (2010) ‘I'll have what she's having’: effects of social influence and body type on the food choices of others. J Consum Res 36, 915–929.
38. MA Burke & F Heiland (2006) The strength of social interactions and obesity among women. In Agent-Based Computational Modelling, pp. 117–137 [FC Billari, T Fent, A Prskawetz et al., editors]. Heidelberg: Physica Verlag.
39. K Stein (2010) A national approach to restaurant menu labeling: the Patient Protection and Affordable Health Care Act, Section 4205. J Am Diet Assoc 110, 1280–1286, 1288–1289.