This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CG Victora , K Hanson , J Bryce et al. (2004) Achieving universal coverage with health interventions. Lancet 364, 1541–1548.
2. DR Gwatkin , A Bhuiya & CG Victora (2004) Making health systems more equitable. Lancet 364, 1273–1280.
3. O O’Donnell (2007) Access to health care in developing countries: breaking down demand side barriers. Cad Saude Publica 23, 2820–2834.
4. B Jacobs , P Ir , M Bigdeli et al. (2012) Addressing access barriers to health services: an analytical framework for selecting appropriate interventions in low-income Asian countries. Health Policy Plan 27, 288–300.
5. DH Peters , A Garg , G Bloom et al. (2008) Poverty and access to health care in developing countries. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1136, 161–171.
6. T Ensor & S Cooper (2004) Overcoming barriers to health service access: influencing the demand side. Health Policy Plan 19, 69–79.
9. V Gatchell , V Forsythe & P Thomas (2006) The sustainability of community-based therapeutic care (CTC) in nonemergency contexts. Food Nutr Bull 27, 3 Suppl., S90–S98.
10. R Gross & P Webb (2006) Wasting time for wasted children: severe child undernutrition must be resolved in non-emergency settings. Lancet 367, 1209–1211.
12. S Guerrero , M Myatt & S Collins (2010) Determinants of coverage in community-based therapeutic care programmes: towards a joint quantitative and qualitative analysis. Disasters 34, 571–585.
13. C Puett , J Coates , H Alderman et al. (2013) Quality of care for severe acute malnutrition delivered by community health workers in southern Bangladesh. Matern Child Nutr 9, 130–142.
18. HD Teklehaimanot & A Teklehaimanot (2013) Human resource development for a community-based health extension program: a case study from Ethiopia. Hum Resour Health 11, 39.
25. JI Blanford , S Kumar , W Luo et al. (2012) It’s a long, long walk: accessibility to hospitals, maternity and integrated health centers in Niger. Int J Health Geogr 11, 24.
26. AM Noor , AA Amin , PW Gething et al. (2006) Modelling distances travelled to government health services in Kenya. Trop Med Int Health 11, 188–196.
27. YB Okwaraji , S Cousens , Y Berhane et al. (2012) Effect of geographical access to health facilities on child mortality in rural Ethiopia: a community based cross sectional study. PLoS One 7, e33564.
28. YB Okwaraji , K Mulholland , JR Schellenberg et al. (2012) The association between travel time to health facilities and childhood vaccine coverage in rural Ethiopia. a community based cross sectional study. BMC Public Health 12, 476.
29. P Saksena , H Reyburn , B Njau et al. (2010) Patient costs for paediatric hospital admissions in Tanzania: a neglected burden? Health Policy Plan 25, 328–333.
30. A Tekeste , M Wondafrash , G Azene et al. (2012) Cost effectiveness of community-based and in-patient therapeutic feeding programs to treat severe acute malnutrition in Ethiopia. Cost Eff Resour Alloc 10, 4.
31. C Puett , K Sadler , H Alderman et al. (2013) Cost-effectiveness of the community-based management of severe acute malnutrition by community health workers in southern Bangladesh. Health Policy Plan 28, 386–399.
32. CJ Colvin , HJ Smith , A Swartz et al. (2013) Understanding careseeking for child illness in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and conceptual framework based on qualitative research of household recognition and response to child diarrhoea, pneumonia and malaria. Soc Sci Med 86, 66–78.
34. E Ali , R Zachariah , A Dahmane et al. (2013) Peanut-based ready-to-use therapeutic food: acceptability among malnourished children and community workers in Bangladesh. Public Health Action 3, 128–135.
36. TT Nga , M Nguyen , R Mathisen et al. (2013) Acceptability and impact on anthropometry of a locally developed ready-to-use therapeutic food in pre-school children in Vietnam. Nutr J 12, 120.
38. SW Pallas , D Minhas , R Pérez-Escamilla et al. (2013) Community health workers in low-and middle-income countries: what do we know about scaling up and sustainability? Am J Public Health 103, e74–e82.
39. C Puett , J Coates , H Alderman et al. (2012) Does greater workload lead to reduced quality of preventive and curative care among community health workers in Bangladesh? Food Nutr Bull 33, 273–287.
40. M Phillips , R Zachariah & S Venis (2008) Task shifting for antiretroviral treatment delivery in sub-Saharan Africa: not a panacea. Lancet 371, 682–684.