This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. I Janssen , PT Katzmarzyk , WF Boyce , C Vereecken , C Muvihill , C Roberts , C Currie & W Pickett , The Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children Obesity Working Group (2005) Comparison of overweight and obesity prevalence in school-aged youth from 34 countries and their relationships with physical activity and dietary patterns. Obes Rev 6, 123–132.
2. CL Ogden , KM Flegal , MD Carroll & CL Johnson (2002) Prevalence and trends in overweight among US schoolchildren and adolescents, 1999–2000. JAMA 288, 1728–1732.
3. KI Rennie & SA Jebb (2005) Prevalence of obesity in Great Britain. Obes Rev 6, 11–12.
6. W Kiess , A Galler , A Reich , G Muller , T Kapellen , J Deutscher , K Raile & J Kratzsch (2001) Clinical aspects of obesity in childhood and adolescence. Obes Rev 2, 29–36.
7. WB Kannel (1997) Effect of weight on cardiovascular disease. Nutrition 13, 157–158.
8. TLS Visscher & JC Seidell (2001) The public health impact of obesity. Annu Rev Public Health 22, 355–375.
11. J Vignerová , P Bláha , Z Roth & K Ošancová (2004) Social inequality and obesity in Czech school children. Econ Hum Biol 2, 107–118.
12. WS Wolfe & CC Campbell (1993) Food pattern, diet quality, and related characteristics of schoolchildren in New York State. J Am Diet Assoc 93, 1280–1284.
13. CS Berkey , HRH Rockett , MW Gillman , AE Field & GA Colditz (2003) Longitudinal study of skipping breakfast and weight change in adolescents. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27, 1258–1266.
14. JT Dwyer , M Evans , EJ Stone , HA Feldman , L Lytle , D Hoelscher , C Johnson , M Zive & M Yang (2001) Adolescent’s eating patterns influence their nutrient intakes. J Am Diet Assoc 101, 798–802.
15. A Keski-Rahkonen , J Kaprio , A Rissanen , M Virkkunen & RJ Rose (2003) Breakfast skipping and health-compromising behaviors in adolescents and adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 842–853.
17. B Abalkhail & S Shawky (2002) Prevalence of daily breakfast eating, iron deficiency anaemia and awareness of being anemic among Saudi school students. Int J Food Sci Nutr 53, 519–528.
19. G Rampersaud , M Pereira , B Girard , J Adams & J Mietzl (2005) Breakfast habits, nutritional status, body weight and academic performance in children and adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 743–760.
20. TA Nicklas , C Reger , L Myers & C O’Neil (2000) Breakfast consumption with and without vitamin-mineral supplement use favorably impacts daily nutrient intake of ninth-grade students. J Adolesc Health 27, 314–321.
22. L Serra-Majem , L Ribas , C Perez-Rodrigo , R Garcia-Closas , L Pena-Quintana & J Aranceta (2002) Determinants of nutrient intake among children and adolescents: results from the enKid study. Ann Nutr Metab 46, Suppl. 1, 31–38.
23. A Sjöberg , L Hallberg , D Höglund & L Hulthén (2003) Meal pattern, food choice, nutrient intake and lifestyle factors in The Göteborg Adolescence Study. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 1569–1578.
26. F Bellisle , MF Rolland-Cachera , M Deheeger & M Guilloud-Bataille (1988) Obesity and food intake in children: evidence for a role of metabolic and/or behavioural daily rhythms. Appetite 11, 111–118.
32. TJ Cole , C Bellisi , KM Flegal & WH Dietz (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
35. K Liu , J Stamler , A Dyer , J McKeever & P McKeever (1978) Statistical methods to assess and minimize the role of intra-individual variability in obscuring the relationship between dietary lipids and serum cholesterol. J Chronic Dis 31, 399–418.
41. PJ Lattimore & JC Halford (2002) Adolescence and the diet–eating disparity: healthy food choice or risky health behaviour? Br J Health Psychol 8, 451–463.
42. TA Nicklas , L Myers , C Reger , B Beech & GS Berenson (1998) Impact of breakfast consumption on nutritional adequacy of the diets of young adults in Bogalusa, Louisiana: ethnic and gender contrasts. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 1432–1438.
44. TA Nicklas , M Morales , A Linares , SJ Yang , T Baranowski , C De Moor & G Berensen (2004) Children’s meal patterns have changed over a 21-year period: The Bogalusa Heart Study. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 753–761.
45. TA Nicklas , MS Su-Jau Yang , T Baranowski , I Zakeri & G Berenson (2003) Eating patterns and obesity in children: The Bogalusa Heart Study. Am J Prev Med 25, 9–16.
46. DS Ludwig (2002) The glycemic index: physiological mechanisms relating to obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. JAMA 287, 2414–2423.
47. D Ludwig , J Majzoub , A Al-Zahrani , G Dallal , I Blanco & S Roberts (1999) High glycemic index foods, overeating and obesity. Pediatrics 103, e26.
51. SM Krebs-Smith , BI Graubard , LL Kahle , AF Subar , LE Cleveland & R Ballard-Barbash (2000) Low energy reporters vs. others: a comparison of reported food intakes. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 281–287.
53. T Hirvonen , S Männiströ , E Roos & P Pietinen (1997) Increasing prevalence of underreporting does not necessarily distort dietary surveys. Eur J Clin Nutr 51, 297–301.