1. Wolff, JL, Starfield, B & Anderson, G (2002) Prevalence, expenditures, and complications of multiple chronic conditions in the elderly. Arch Intern Med 162, 2269–2276.
2. Schoenberg, NE, Kim, H, Edwards, W et al. (2007) Burden of common multiple-morbidity constellations on out-of-pocket medical expenditures among older adults. Gerontologist 47, 423–437.
3. Vogeli, C, Shields, AE, Lee, TA et al. (2007) Multiple chronic conditions: prevalence, health consequences, and implications for quality, care management, and costs. J Gen Intern Med 22, Suppl. 3, 391–395.
4. Fried, VM, Bernstein, AB & Bush, MA (2012) Multiple chronic conditions among adults aged 45 and over: trends over the past 10 years. NCHS Data Brief issue 100, 1–8.
5. Seligman, HK, Laraia, BA & Kushel, MB (2010) Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants. J Nutr 140, 304–310.
6. Seligman, HK, Jacobs, EA, Lopez, A et al. (2012) Food insecurity and glycemic control among low-income patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 35, 233–238.
7. Olson, CM (1999) Nutrition and health outcomes associated with food insecurity and hunger. J Nutr 129, 2S Suppl, 521S–524S.
9. Kendall, A, Olson, C & Frongillo, E (1996) Relationship of hunger and food insecurity to food availability and consumption. J Am Diet Assoc 96, 1019–1024.
10. Lee, JS & Frongillo, EA (2001) Nutritional and health consequences are associated with food insecurity among US elderly persons. J Nutr 131, 1503–1509.
11. Lee, JS, Fischer, JG & Johnson, MA (2010) Food insecurity, food and nutrition programs, and aging: experiences from Georgia. J Nutr Elder 29, 116–149.
12. Lee, JS & Frongillo, EA Jr (2001) Factors associated with food insecurity among US elderly persons: importance of functional impairments. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 56, issue 2, S94–S99.
13. Tarasuk, V, Mitchell, A, McLaren, L et al. (2013) Chronic physical and mental health conditions among adults may increase vulnerability to household food insecurity. J Nutr 143, 1785–1793.
14. Berkowitz, SA, Seligman, HK & Choudhry, NK (2014) Treat or eat: food insecurity, cost-related medication underuse, and unmet needs. Am J Med 127, 303–310.e3.
15. Bengle, R, Sinnett, S, Johnson, T et al. (2010) Food insecurity is associated with cost-related medication non-adherence in community-dwelling, low-income older adults in Georgia. J Nutr Elder 29, 170–191.
16. Sattler, EL & Lee, JS (2013) Persistent food insecurity is associated with higher levels of cost-related medication nonadherence in low-income older adults. J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr 32, 41–58.
19. Blumberg, S, Bialostosky, K, Hamilton, W et al. (1999) The effectiveness of a short form of the household food security scale. Am J Public Health 89, 1231–1234.
20. Huntley, AL, Johnson, R, Purdy, S et al. (2012) Measures of multimorbidity and morbidity burden for use in primary care and community settings: a systematic review and guide. Ann Fam Med 10, 134–141.
22. Sharkey, JR (2003) Risk and presence of food insufficiency are associated with low nutrient intakes and multimorbidity among homebound older women who receive home-delivered meals. J Nutr 133, 3485–3491.
23. Jeon, Y-H, Essue, B, Jan, S et al. (2009) Economic hardship associated with managing chronic illness: a qualitative inquiry. BMC Health Serv Res 9, 182.
24. Valtorta, NK & Hanratty, B (2013) Socioeconomic variation in the financial consequences of ill health for older people with chronic diseases: a systematic review. Maturitas 74, 313–333.
25. Lynch, JW, Kaplan, GA & Shema, SJ (1997) Cumulative impact of sustained economic hardship on physical, cognitive, psychological, and social functioning. N Engl J Med 337, 1889–1895.
26. Gundersen, C (2013) Food insecurity is an ongoing national concern. Adv Nutr 4, 36–41.
27. Ratcliffe, C & McKernan, S-M (2010)
How Much Does SNAP Reduce Food Insecurity? Washington, DC: The Urban Institute.
28. Mabli, J, Ohls, J, Dragoset, L et al. (2013) Measuring the Effect of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Participation on Food Security. Cambridge, MA: Mathematica Policy Research for US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service.
30. Cannon, M (2016) Screening and Interventions for Food Insecurity in Health Care Settings: State Strategies to Increase an Underutilized Practice in California. Oakland/Los Angeles, CA: California Food Policy Advocates.
31. Torres, J, De Marchis, E, Fichtenberg, C et al. (2017) Identifying Food Insecurity in Health Care Settings: A Review of the Evidence. San Francisco, CA: Social Interventions Research & Evaluation Network.