This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JJ Warren , K Weber-Gasparoni , TA Marshall et al. (2009) A longitudinal study of dental caries risk among very young low SES children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 37, 116–122.
2. LR Vartanian , MB Schwartz & KD Brownell (2007) Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health 97, 667–675.
3. S Kranz , H Smiciklas-Wright , AM Siega-Riz et al. (2005) Adverse effect of high added sugar consumption on dietary intake in American preschoolers. J Pediatr 146, 105–111.
4. KD Brownell & TR Frieden (2009) Ounces of prevention — the public policy case for taxes on sugared beverages. N Engl J Med 360, 1805–1808.
5. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , LR Curtin et al. (2010) Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007–2008. JAMA 303, 242–249.
6. AS Singh , C Mulder , JWR Twisk et al. (2008) Tracking of childhood overweight into adulthood: a systematic review of the literature. Obes Rev 9, 474–488.
7. G Harris (2008) Development of taste and food preferences in children. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11, 315–319.
9. Z Mei , LM Grummer-Strawn & KS Scanlon (2003) Does overweight in infancy persist through the preschool years? An analysis of CDC Pediatric Nutrition Surveillance System data. Soz Praventivmed 48, 161–167.
11. YC Wang , SN Bleich & SL Gortmaker (2008) Increasing caloric contribution from sugar-sweetened beverages and 100 % fruit juices among US children and adolescents, 1988–2004. Pediatrics 121, e1604–e1614.
12. JA Mennella , P Ziegler , R Briefel et al. (2006) Feeding infants and toddlers study: the types of foods fed to hispanic infants and toddlers. J Am Diet Assoc 106, Suppl. 1, 96–106.
13. S Petti , G Cairella & G Tarsitanl (2000) Rampant early childhood dental decay: an example from Italy. J Public Health Dent 60, 159–166.
14. ML Warner , K Harley , A Bradman et al. (2006) Soda consumption and overweight status of 2-year-old Mexican-American children in California. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 1966–1974.
16. R Sturm , LM Powell , JF Chriqui et al. (2010) Soda taxes, soft drink consumption, and children's body mass index. Health Aff (Millwood) 29, 1052–1058.
17. JF Chriqui , SS Eidson , H Bates et al. (2008) State sales tax rates for soft drinks and snacks sold through grocery stores and vending machines, 2007. J Public Health Policy 29, 226–249.
18. MM Adams , HB Shulman , C Bruce et al. (1991) The Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System: design, questionnaire, data collection and response rates. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 5, 333–346.
21. M Höfler , H Pfister , R Lieb et al. (2005) The use of weights to account for non-response and drop-out. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 40, 291–299.
22.American Academy of Pediatrics (2001) The use and misuse of fruit juice in pediatrics. Pediatrics 107, 1210–1213.
24. EM Taveras , MW Gillman , K Kleinman et al. (2010) Racial/ethnic differences in early-life risk factors for childhood obesity. Pediatrics 125, 686–695.
26. P Ziegler , C Hanson , M Ponza et al. (2006) Feeding Infants and Toddlers Study: meal and snack intakes of hispanic and non-hispanic infants and toddlers. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1 Suppl. 1, 107–123.
27. JA Mennella & GK Beauchamp (2002) Flavor experiences during formula feeding are related to preferences during childhood. Early Hum Dev 68, 71–82.
28. B Lande , LF Andersen , MB Veierød et al. (2004) Breast-feeding at 12 months of age and dietary habits among breast-fed and non-breast-fed infants. Public Health Nutr 7, 495–503.
29. S Harrington (2008) The role of sugar-sweetened beverage consumption in adolescent obesity: a review of the literature. J Sch Nurs 24, 3–12.
34. LM Fiorito , M Marini , DC Mitchell et al. (2010) Girls’ early sweetened carbonated beverage intake predicts different patterns of beverage and nutrient intake across childhood and adolescence. J Am Diet Assoc 110, 543–550.
35. LM Fiorito , M Marini , LA Francis et al. (2009) Beverage intake of girls at age 5 y predicts adiposity and weight status in childhood and adolescence. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 935–942.
36. FE Thompson , TS McNeel , EC Dowling et al. (2009) Interrelationships of added sugars intake, socioeconomic status, and race/ethnicity in adults in the United States: National Health Interview Survey, 2005. J Am Diet Assoc 109, 1376–1383.
37. C Rehm , T Matte , G Van Wye et al. (2008) Demographic and behavioral factors associated with daily sugar-sweetened soda consumption in New York City adults. J Urban Health 85, 375–385.
38. A Drewnowski (2009) Obesity, diets, and social inequalities. Nutr Rev 67, Suppl. 1, S36–S39.
39. A Drewnowski (2007) The real contribution of added sugars and fats to obesity. Epidemiol Rev 29, 160–171.
41. SL Johnson , L Clark , K Goree et al. (2008) Healthcare providers’ perceptions of the factors contributing to infant obesity in a low-income Mexican American Community. J Spec Pediatr Nurs 13, 180–190.
43. CL Ward (2008) Parental perceptions of childhood overweight in the Mexican American population: an integrative review. J Sch Nurs 24, 407–416.
44. A Ariza , E Chen , H Binns et al. (2004) Risk factors for overweight in five- to six-year-old Hispanic-American children: a pilot study. J Urban Health 81, 150–161.
45.Position of the American Dietetic Association (2008) Nutrition guidance for healthy children ages 2 to 11 years. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 1038–1047.
46. T Andreyeva , MW Long & KD Brownell (2010) The impact of food prices on consumption: a systematic review of research on the price elasticity of demand for food. Am J Public Health 100, 216–222.
48. LA Francis , AK Ventura , M Marini et al. (2007) Parent overweight predicts daughters/’ increase in BMI and disinhibited overeating from 5 to 13 years. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 1544–1553.
50. JM Wojcicki & MB Heyman (2010) Let's move – childhood obesity prevention from pregnancy and infancy onward. N Engl J Med 362, 1457–1459.
15. KD Brownell , T Farley , WC Willett et al. (2009) The public health and economic benefits of taxing sugar-sweetened beverages. N Engl J Med 361, 1599–1605.
52. JE Dellava , CM Bulik & BM Popkin (2010) Price changes alone are not adequate to produce long-term dietary change. J Nutr 140, 1887–1891.