1. AA Hedley , CL Ogden , CL Johnson , LR Curtin & KM Flegal (2004) Prevalence of overweight and obesity among US children, adolescents, and adults, 1999–2002. JAMA 291, 2847–2850.
4. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Wall , C Perry & M Story (2003) Correlates of fruit and vegetable intake among adolescents. Findings from project EAT. Prev Med 37, 198–208.
5. A Gray & C Smith (2003) Fitness, dietary intake, and body mass index in urban Native American youth. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 1187–1191.
6. S Paeratakul , DP Ferdinand , CM Champagne , DH Ryan & GA Bray (2003) Fast-food consumption among US adults and children: dietary and nutrient intake profile. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 1332–1338.
8. SM Robertson , KW Cullen , J Baranowski , T Baranowski , H Shaohua & C de Moor (1999) Factors related to adiposity among children aged 3–7 years. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 938–943.
9. SYS Kimm , NW Glynn , AM Kriska , BA Barton , SS Kronsberg , SR Daniels , PB Crawford , ZI Sabry & K Liu (2002) Decline in physical activity in black girls and white girls during adolescence. N Engl J Med 347, 709–715.
11. JC Eisenmann , RT Bartee & MQ Wang (2002) Physical activity, TV viewing, and weight in US youth: 1999 Youth Risk Behavior Survey. Obes Res 10, 379–385.
12. M Nestle & MF Jacobson (2000) Halting the obesity epidemic: a public health policy approach. Public Health Rep 115, 12–24.
14. I Lissau , MD Overpeck , WJ Ruan , P Due , BE Holstein & ML Hediger ; Health Behaviour in School-aged Children Obesity Working Group (2004) Body mass index and overweight in adolescents in 13 European countries, Israel, and the United States. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158, 27–33.
15. M Andel (1997) Nutritional epidemiology in the Czech Republic after the fall of communism: problems with interpretation. Nutrition 13, 1008–1009.
19. JF Sallis , PK Strikmiller , DW Harsha , HA Feldman , S Ehlinger , EJ Stone , J Williston & S Woods (1996) Validation of interviewer- and self-administered physical activity checklist for fifth grade students. Med Sci Sports Exerc 28, 840–851.
20. RK Johnson , P Driscoll & MI Goran (1996) Comparison of multiple-pass 24-hour recall estimates of energy intake with total energy expenditure determined by the doubly labeled water method in young children. J Am Diet Assoc 96, 140–144.
21. K Cullen , T Baranowski , J Baranowski , D Hebert & C de Moor (1999) Behavioral and epidemiological coding of fruit and vegetable consumption from 24-hour dietary recalls: research question guides choices. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 849–851.
23. BE Ainsworth , WL Haskell , MC Whitt (2000) Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32, Suppl., S498–S516.
25. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal & WH Dietz (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
26. SA French , M Story & RW Jeffery (2001) Environmental influences on eating and physical activity. Annu Rev Public Health 22, 309–335.
27. AE Field , WC Willett , L Lissner & GA Colditz (2007) Dietary fat and weight gain among women in the Nurses’ Health Study. Obesity 15, 967–976.
29. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , LR Curtin , MA McDowell , CJ Tabak & KM Flegal (2006) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004. JAMA 295, 1549–1555.