This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PE Petersen & H Ogawa (2005) Strengthening the prevention of periodontal disease: the WHO approach. J Periodontol 76, 2187–2193.
2. D Locker , J Ford & JL Leake (1996) Incidence of and risk factors for tooth loss in a population of older Canadians. J Dent Res 75, 783–789.
3. M Iwasaki , A Yoshihara , T Hirotomi et al. (2008) Longitudinal study on the relationship between serum albumin and periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol 35, 291–296.
4. GW Taylor (2001) Bidirectional interrelationships between diabetes and periodontal diseases: an epidemiologic perspective. Ann Periodontol 6, 99–112.
5. P Axelsson , J Paulander & J Lindhe (1998) Relationship between smoking and dental status in 35-, 50-, 65-, and 75-year-old individuals. J Clin Periodontol 25, 297–305.
6. IL Chapple & JB Matthews (2007) The role of reactive oxygen and antioxidant species in periodontal tissue destruction. Periodontol 2000 43, 160–232.
8. IL Chapple (1996) Role of free radicals and antioxidants in the pathogenesis of the inflammatory periodontal diseases. Clin Mol Pathol 49, M247–M255.
9. IL Chapple (1997) Reactive oxygen species and antioxidants in inflammatory diseases. J Clin Periodontol 24, 287–296.
10. RJ Waddington , R Moseley & G Embery (2000) Reactive oxygen species: a potential role in the pathogenesis of periodontal diseases. Oral Dis 6, 138–151.
11. NK Lee , YG Choi , JY Baik et al. (2005) A crucial role for reactive oxygen species in RANKL-induced osteoclast differentiation. Blood 106, 852–859.
12. AC Maritim , RA Sanders & JB Watkins 3rd (2003) Diabetes, oxidative stress, and antioxidants: a review. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 17, 24–38.
13. Y Ozkan , S Yardym-Akaydyn , A Sepici et al. (2007) Oxidative status in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol 26, 64–68.
14. R Wolfram , A Oguogho , B Palumbo et al. (2005) Enhanced oxidative stress in coronary heart disease and chronic heart failure as indicated by an increased 8-epi-PGF(2 alpha). Eur J Heart Fail 7, 167–172.
15. MG Hertog , EJ Feskens , PC Hollman et al. (1993) Dietary antioxidant flavonoids and risk of coronary heart disease: the Zutphen Elderly Study. Lancet 342, 1007–1011.
18. CL Rock , RA Jacob & PE Bowen (1996) Update on the biological characteristics of the antioxidant micronutrients: vitamin C, vitamin E, and the carotenoids. J Am Diet Assoc 96, 693–702.
20. M Nishida , SG Grossi , RG Dunford et al. (2000) Dietary vitamin C and the risk for periodontal disease. J Periodontol 71, 1215–1223.
22. GR Brock , CJ Butterworth , JB Matthews et al. (2004) Local and systemic total antioxidant capacity in periodontitis and health. J Clin Periodontol 31, 515–521.
23. DV Sculley & SC Langley-Evans (2003) Periodontal disease is associated with lower antioxidant capacity in whole saliva and evidence of increased protein oxidation. Clin Sci (Lond) 105, 167–172.
24. IL Chapple , GR Brock , MR Milward et al. (2007) Compromised GCF total antioxidant capacity in periodontitis: cause or effect? J Clin Periodontol 34, 103–110.
25. JS Kim , JY Park , WY Chung et al. (2004) Polymorphisms in genes coding for enzymes metabolizing smoking-derived substances and the risk of periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 31, 959–964.
27. K Murakami , T Mizoue , S Sasaki et al. (2008) Dietary intake of folate, other B vitamins, and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in relation to depressive symptoms in Japanese adults. Nutrition 24, 140–147.
28. S Sasaki , F Ushio , K Amano et al. (2000) Serum biomarker-based validation of a self-administered diet history questionnaire for Japanese subjects. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 46, 285–296.
29. S Sasaki , R Yanagibori & K Amano (1998) Self-administered diet history questionnaire developed for health education: a relative validation of the test-version by comparison with 3-day diet record in women. J Epidemiol 8, 203–215.
30. S Sasaki , R Yanagibori & K Amano (1998) Validity of a self-administered diet history questionnaire for assessment of sodium and potassium: comparison with single 24-hour urinary excretion. Jpn Circ J 62, 431–435.
32. LF Brown , JD Beck & RG Rozier (1994) Incidence of attachment loss in community-dwelling older adults. J Periodontol 65, 316–323.
33. MS Tonetti & N Claffey (2005) Advances in the progression of periodontitis and proposal of definitions of a periodontitis case and disease progression for use in risk factor research. Group C consensus report of the 5th European Workshop in Periodontology. J Clin Periodontol 32, Suppl. 6, 210–213.
34. G Nordstrom , B Bergman , K Borg et al. (1998) A 9-year longitudinal study of reported oral problems and dental and periodontal status in 70- and 79-year-old city cohorts in northern Sweden. Acta Odontol Scand 56, 76–84.
35. GW Burton & KU Ingold (1984) β-Carotene: an unusual type of lipid antioxidant. Science 224, 569–573.
36. MA Fisher , GW Taylor , BT West et al. (2011) Bidirectional relationship between chronic kidney and periodontal disease: a study using structural equation modeling. Kidney Int 79, 347–355.
37. M Meydani (1995) Vitamin E. Lancet 345, 170–175.
45. K Katanoda & Y Matsumura (2002) National Nutrition Survey in Japan – its methodological transition and current findings. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 48, 423–432.
46. A Yoshihara , R Watanabe , N Hanada et al. (2009) A longitudinal study of the relationship between diet intake and dental caries and periodontal disease in elderly Japanese subjects. Gerodontology 26, 130–136.
47. K Tanaka , Y Miyake , S Sasaki et al. (2007) Relationship between intake of vegetables, fruit, and grains and the prevalence of tooth loss in Japanese women. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 53, 522–528.
48. E Krall , C Hayes & R Garcia (1998) How dentition status and masticatory function affect nutrient intake. J Am Dent Assoc 129, 1261–1269.
49. A Yoshihara , R Watanabe , M Nishimuta et al. (2005) The relationship between dietary intake and the number of teeth in elderly Japanese subjects. Gerodontology 22, 211–218.