This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. F Azizi , L Azadbakht & P Mirmiran (2005) Trends in overweight, obesity and central fat accumulation among Tehranian adults between 1998–1999 and 2001–2002: Tehran lipid and glucose study. Ann Nutr Metab 49, 3–8.
4. M Wei , SP Gaskill , SM Haffner (1997) Waist circumference as the best predictor of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus compared to BMI, WHR other anthropometric measurements in Mexican Americans: a 7-year prospective study. Obes Res 5, 16–23.
5. A Esmaillzadeh , P Mirmiran , L Azadbakht (2006) Independent and inverse association of hip circumference with metabolic risk factors in Tehranian adult men. Prev Med 42, 354–357.
7. L Azadbakht , P Mirmiran , N Shiva (2005) General obesity and central adiposity in a representative sample of Tehranian adults: prevalence and determinants. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 75, 297–304.
11. Y Wang & MA Beydoun (2009) Meat consumption is associated with obesity and central obesity among US adults. Int J Obes (Lond) 33, 621–628.
12. G Barba & P Russo (2006) Dairy foods, dietary calcium and obesity: a short review of the evidence. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 16, 445–451.
14. F Azizi , P Mirmiran & L Azadbakht (2004) Predictors of cardiovascular risk factors in Tehranian adolescents: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 74, 307–312.
15. FB Hu (2002) Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology. Curr Opin Lipidol 13, 3–9.
16. PK Newby & KL Tucker (2004) Empirically derived eating patterns using factor or cluster analysis: a review. Nutr Rev 62, 177–203.
17. AK Kant (2004) Dietary patterns and health outcomes. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 615–635.
18. A Hatloy , LE Torheim & A Oshaug (1998) Food variety: a good indicator of nutritional adequacy of the diet? A case study from an urban area in Mali, West Africa. Eur J Clin Nutr 52, 891–898.
19. L Azadbakht , P Mirmiran & F Azizi (2005) Variety scores of food groups contribute to the specific nutrient adequacy in Tehranian men. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 1233–1240.
21. P Mirmiran , L Azadbakht & F Azizi (2006) Dietary diversity within food groups: an indicator of specific nutrient adequacy in Tehranian women. J Am Coll Nutr 25, 354–361.
23. L Azadbakht , P Mirmiran & F Azizi (2005) Dietary diversity score is favorably associated with the metabolic syndrome in Tehranian adults. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 1361–1367.
26. ML Wahlqvist , CS Lo & KA Myers (1989) Food variety is associated with less macrovascular disease in those with type II diabetes and their healthy controls. J Am Coll Nutr 8, 515–523.
28. HA Raynor & LH Epstein (2001) Dietary variety, energy regulation, and obesity. Psychol Bull 127, 325–341.
29. E Kennedy (2004) Dietary diversity, diet quality, and body weight regulation. Nutr Rev 62, S78–S81.
30. HA Raynor , RW Jeffery , DF Tate (2004) Relationship between changes in food group variety, dietary intake, and weight during obesity treatment. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 813–820.
34. BE Ainsworth , WL Haskell , MC Whitt (2000) Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32, S498–S504.
37. AK Kant , A Schatzkin & RG Ziegler (1995) Dietary diversity and subsequent cause of specific mortality in the NHANES I epidemiologic follow up study. J Am Coll Nutr 14, 233–238.
40. P Mirmiran , L Azadbakht & F Azizi (2005) Dietary quality-adherence to the dietary guidelines in Tehranian adolescents: Tehran lipid and glucose study. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 75, 195–200.
41. LE Torheim , F Ouattara , MM Diarra (2004) Nutrient adequacy and dietary diversity in rural Mali: association and determinants. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 594–604.
43. A Esmaillzadeh & L Azadbakht (2008) Consumption of hydrogenated vs. non-hydrogenated vegetable oils and risk of insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome among Iranian adult women. Diabetes Care 31, 223–226.
45. A Esmaillzadeh , P Mirmiran & F Azizi (2005) Whole-grain consumption and the metabolic syndrome: a favorable association in Tehranian adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 353–362.
46. SE Dorfman , D Laurent , JS Gounarides (2009) Metabolic implications of dietary trans-fatty acids. Obesity (Silver Spring) 17, 1200–1207.
49. AK Kant & BI Graubard (2005) A comparison of three dietary pattern indexes for predicting biomarkers of diet and disease. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 294–303.
50. E Fernandez , E Negri , C La Vecchia (2000) Diet diversity and colorectal cancer. Prev Med 31, 11–14.
55. L Azadbakht & A Esmaillzadeh (2009) Red meat intake is associated with the metabolic syndrome and plasma C-reactive protein levels. J Nutr 139, 335–339.