This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. FB Hu (2002) Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology. Curr Opin Lipidol 13, 3–9.
3. J Freeland-Graves & S Nitzke (2002) Position of the American Dietetic Association: total diet approach to communicating food and nutrition information. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 100–108.
5. SM Grundy , JI Cleeman , SR Daniels (2006) Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute scientific statement. Curr Opin Cardiol 21, 1–6.
6. AJ Hanley , AJ Karter , K Williams , A Festa , RB D’Agostino Jr, LE Wagenknecht & SM Haffner (2005) Prediction of type 2 diabetes mellitus with alternative definitions of the metabolic syndrome: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study. Circulation 112, 3713–3721.
7. SM Grundy (2008) Metabolic syndrome pandemic. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28, 629–636.
9. ES Ford , WH Giles & AH Mokdad (2004) Increasing prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults. Diabetes Care 27, 2444–2449.
10. TA Nicklas , L Myers , C Reger , B Beech & GS Berenson (1998) Impact of breakfast consumption on nutritional adequacy of the diets of young adults in Bogalusa, Louisiana: ethnic and gender contrasts. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 1432–1438.
11. MA Pereira , AI Kartashov , CB Ebbeling , L Van Horn , ML Slattery , Dr Jacobs Jr & DS Ludwig (2005) Fast-food habits, weight gain, and insulin resistance (the CARDIA study): 15-year prospective analysis. Lancet 365, 36–42.
12. LH Clemens , DL Slawson & RC Klesges (1999) The effect of eating out on quality of diet in premenopausal women. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 442–444.
13. P Deshmukh-Taskar , TA Nicklas , SJ Yang & GS Berenson (2007) Does food group consumption vary by differences in socioeconomic status, demographics and lifestyle factors in young adults? The Bogalusa Heart Study. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 223–234.
14. CM Champagne , ML Bogle , BB McGee , K Yadrick , HR Allen , TR Kramer , P Simpson , J Gossett & J Weber (2004) Dietary intake in the lower Mississippi delta region: results from the Foods of our Delta Study. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 199–207.
15. J Smith , S Lensing , JA Horton , J Lovejoy , S Zaghloul , I Forrester , BB McGee & ML Bogle (1999) Prevalence of self-reported nutrition-related health problems in the Lower Mississippi Delta. Am J Pub Health 89, 1418–1421.
16. PL Lutsey , LM Steffen & J Stevens (2008) Dietary intake and the development of the metabolic syndrome: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. Circulation 117, 754–761.
17. DB Panagiotakos , C Pitsavos , Y Skoumas & C Stefanadis (2007) The association between food patterns and the metabolic syndrome using principal components analysis: The ATTICA Study. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 979–987.
20. L Sonnenberg , M Pencina , R Kimokoti , P Quatromoni , BH Nam , R D’Agostino , JB Meigs , J Ordovas , M Cobain & B Millen (2005) Dietary patterns and the metabolic syndrome in obese and non-obese Framingham women. Obes Res 13, 153–162.
22. S Zhu , MP St-Onge , S Heshka & SB Heymsfield (2004) Lifestyle behaviors associated with lower risk of having the metabolic syndrome. Metabolism 53, 1503–1511.
23. GS Berenson & the Bogalusa Heart Study Investigators (2001) Bogalusa Heart Study: a long-term community study of a rural biracial (black/white) population. Am J Med Sci 322, 293–300.
24. HR Rockett , M Breitenbach , AL Frazier , J Witschi , AM Wolf , AE Field & GA Colditz (1997) Validation of a youth/adolescent food frequency questionnaire. Prev Med 26, 808–816.
25. HRH Rockett , AM Wolf & GA Colditz (1995) Development and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire to assess diets of older children and adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 95, 336–340.
27. A Katz , SS Nambi , K Mather , AD Baron , DA Follmann , G Sullivan & MJ Quon (2000) Quantitative insulin sensitivity check index: a simple, accurate method for assessing insulin sensitivity in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85, 2402–2410.
28. DR Mathews , JP Hosker , AS Rudenski , BA Naylor , DF Treacher & RC Turner (1985) Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28, 412–419.
30. G Assmann , R Guerra , G Fox , P Cullen , H Schulte , D Willett & SM Grundy (2007) Harmonizing the definition of the metabolic syndrome: comparison of the criteria of the Adult Treatment Panel III and the International Diabetes Federation in United States American and European populations. Am J Cardiol 99, 541–548.
31. BE Ainsworth , DR Jacobs Jr & AS Leon (1993) Validity and reliability of self-reported physical activity status: the Lipid Research Clinics questionnaire. Med Sci Sports Exerc 25, 92–98.
36. DE Williams , NJ Wareham , BD Cox , CD Byrne , CN Hales & NE Day (1999) Frequent salad vegetable consumption is associated with a reduction in the risk of diabetes mellitus. J Clin Epidemiol 52, 329–335.
37. BJ Rolls , JA Ello-Martin & BC Tohill (2004) What can intervention studies tell us about the relationship between fruit and vegetable consumption and weight management? Nutr Rev 62, 1–17.
38. L Qi , RM van Dam , S Liu , M Franz , C Mantzoros & FB Hu (2006) Whole-grain, bran, and cereal fiber intakes and markers of systemic inflammation in diabetic women. Diabetes Care 29, 207–211.
39. MB Zemel , J Richards , A Milstead & P Campbell (2005) Effects of calcium and dairy on body composition and weight loss in African-American adults. Obes Res 13, 1218–1225.
41. KL Tucker (2004) Dietary intake and coronary heart disease: a variety of nutrients and phytochemicals are important. Curr Treat Opt Cardiovasc Med 6, 291–302.
42. J Hallfrisch & KM Behall (2000) Mechanisms of the effects of grains on insulin and glucose responses. J Am Coll Nutr 19, S320–S325.
43. LM Steffen , DR Jacobs Jr, MA Murtaugh , A Moran , J Steinberger , CP Hong & AR Sinaiko (2003) Whole grain intake is associated with lower body mass and greater insulin sensitivity among adolescents. Am J Epidemiol 158, 243–250.
44. M Yannakoulia , N Yiannakouris , L Melistas , MD Kontogianni , I Malagaris & CS Mantzoros (2008) A dietary pattern characterized by high consumption of whole-grain cereals and low-fat dairy products and low consumption of refined cereals is positively associated with plasma adiponectin levels in healthy women. Metabolism 57, 824–830.
45. MA Pereira , DR Jacobs Jr, L Van Horn , ML Slattery , AI Kartashov & DS Ludwig (2002) Dairy consumption, obesity, and the insulin resistance syndrome in young adults: the CARDIA Study. JAMA 287, 2081–2089.
47. FF Samaha (2005) Effect of very high-fat diets on body weight, lipoproteins, and glycemic status in the obese. Curr Atheroscler Rep 7, 412–420.
49. KM Gans , GJ Burkholder , PM Risica & TM Lasater (2003) Baseline fat-related dietary behaviors of white, Hispanic, and black participants in a cholesterol screening and education project in New England. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 699–706.
50. E Goodman , NE Adler , SR Daniels , JA Morrison , GB Slap & LM Dolan (2003) Impact of objective and subjective social status on obesity in a biracial cohort of adolescents. Obes Res 11, 1018–1026.
51. A Drewnowski (2004) Obesity and the food environment: dietary energy density and diet costs. Am J Prev Med 27, S154–S162.
54. GE Duncan , SD Anton , RL Newton Jr & MG Perri (2003) Comparison of perceived health to physiological measures of health in black and white women. Prev Med 36, 624–628.
55. JC Delahanty , CC DiClemente , S Havas & P Langenberg (2008) Smoking status and stages of change for dietary behaviors among WIC women. Am J Health Behav 32, 583–593.
56. ME Martinez , JR Marshall & L Sechrest (1998) Invited commentary: factor analysis and the search for objectivity. Am J Epidemiol 148, 17–19.
58. TA Nicklas (1995) Dietary studies of children and young adults (1973–1988): the Bogalusa Heart Study. Am J Med Sci 310, S101–S108.
59. F Imamura , AH Lichtenstein , GE Dallal , JB Meigs & PF Jacques (2009) Confounding by dietary patterns of the inverse association between alcohol consumption and type 2 diabetes risk. Am J Epidemiol ; Epublication 8 May 2009.