This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JA Rivera , S Barquera , F Campirano et al. (2002) Epidemiological and nutritional transition in Mexico: rapid increase of non-communicable chronic diseases and obesity. Public Health Nutr 5, 113–122.
2. R Rojas , C Aguilar-Salinas , A Jiménez-Corona et al. (2010) Metabolic syndrome in Mexican adults: results from the National Health and Nutrition Survey 2006. Salud Publica Mex 52, Suppl. 1, S11–S18.
4. JA Rivera & J Sepulveda Amor (2003) Conclusions from the Mexican National Nutrition Survey 1999: translating results into nutrition policy. Salud Publica Mex 45, Suppl. 4, S565–S575.
5. S Barquera , I Campos , L Hernández-Barrera et al. (2009) Obesity and central adiposity in Mexican adults: results from the Mexican National Health and Nutrition Survey 2006. Salud Publica Mex 51, Suppl. 4, S595–S603.
8. AK Kant (2010) Dietary patterns: biomarkers and chronic disease risk. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 35, 199–206.
9. NS Rizzo , J Sabaté , K Jaceldo-Siegl et al. (2011) Vegetarian dietary patterns are associated with a lower risk of metabolic syndrome: the Adventist Health Study 2. Diabetes Care 34, 1225–1227.
12. HP Fransen & MC Ocké (2008) Indices of diet quality. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11, 559–565.
15. ET Kennedy , J Ohls , S Carlson et al. (1995) The Healthy Eating Index: design and applications. J Am Diet Assoc 95, 1103–1108.
20. J Adda , T Chandola & M Michael (2003) Socio-economic status and health: causality and pathways. J Econom 112, 57–63.
22. S Rodríguez-Ramírez , V Mundo-Rosas , A Jiménez-Aguilar et al. (2009) Methodology for the analysis of dietary data from the Mexican National Health and Nutrition Survey 2006. Salud Publica Mex 51, Suppl. 4, S523–S529.
27. E Resano-Pérez , I Méndez-Ramírez , T Shamah-Levy et al. (2003) Methods of the National Nutrition Survey 1999. Salud Publica Mex 45, Suppl. 4, S558–S564.
34. AF Subar , J Heimendinger , BH Patterson et al. (1995) Fruit and vegetable intake in the United States: the baseline survey of the Five A Day for Better Health Program. Am J Health Promot 9, 352–360.
35. K Ball , D Crawford & G Mishra (2006) Socio-economic inequalities in women's fruit and vegetable intakes: a multilevel study of individual, social and environmental mediators. Public Health Nutr 9, 623–630.
40. R Sodjinou , V Agueh , B Fayomi et al. (2007) Dietary patterns of urban adults in Benin: relationship with overall diet quality and socio-demographic characteristics. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 222–228.
42. C Aguilar-Salinas , F Gómez-Pérez , J Rull et al. (2010) Prevalence of dyslipidemias from the National Health and Nutrition Survey 2006. Salud Publica Mex 52, Suppl. 1, S44–S53.
43. NW Solomons (2000) Plant based diets are traditional in developing countries: 21st century challenges for better nutrition and health. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 9, Suppl, S41–S54.
45. MA Mendez , S Wynter , R Wilks et al. (2004) Under- and overreporting of energy is related to obesity, lifestyle factors and food group intakes in Jamaican adults. Public Health Nutr 7, 9–19.
46. AE Millen , JA Tooze , AF Subar et al. (2009) Differences between food group reports of low-energy reporters and non-low-energy reporters on a food frequency questionnaire. J Am Diet Assoc 109, 1194–1203.
47. JE Arsenault , EA Yakes , MM Islam et al. (2013) Very low adequacy of micronutrient intakes by young children and women in rural Bangladesh is primarily explained by low food intake and limited diversity. J Nutr 143, 197–203.
48. M Arimond , D Wiesmann , E Becquey et al. (2010) Simple food group diversity indicators predict micronutrient adequacy of women's diets in 5 diverse, resource-poor settings. J Nutr 140, issue 11, 259S–269S.
50. P Huijbregts , E Feskens , L Rasanen et al. (1997) Dietary pattern and 20 year mortality in elderly men in Finland, Italy, and The Netherlands: longitudinal cohort study. BMJ 315, 13–17.
51. PS Haines , AM Siega-Riz & BM Popkin (1999) The Diet Quality Index revised: a measurement instrument for populations. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 697–704.
53. MA Bernstein , KL Tucker , ND Ryan et al. (2002) Higher dietary variety is associated with better nutritional status in frail elderly people. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 1096–1104.
55. E Fernandez , E Negri , C La Vecchia et al. (2000) Diet diversity and colorectal cancer. Prev Med 31, 11–14.
56. MC Désilets , M Rivard , B Shatenstein et al. (2007) Dietary transition stages based on eating patterns and diet quality among Haitians of Montreal, Canada. Public Health Nutr 10, 454–463.
58. RE Patterson , PS Haines & BM Popkin (1994) Diet quality index: capturing a multidimensional behavior. J Am Diet Assoc 94, 57–64.