This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. G Danaei , MM Finucane , Y Lu et al.; Global Burden of Metabolic Risk Factors of Chronic Diseases Collaborating Group (Blood Glucose) (2011) National, regional, and global trends in fasting plasma glucose and diabetes prevalence since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 370 country-years and 2·7 million participants. Lancet 378, 31–40.
2. J Everhart , DJ Pettitt , P Bennett et al. (1992) Duration of obesity increases the incidence of NIDDM. Diabetes 41, 235–240.
4. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , LR Curtin et al. (2010) Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007–2008. JAMA 303, 242–249.
5. E Sundblom , M Petzold , F Rasmussen et al. (2008) Childhood overweight and obesity prevalences levelling off in Stockholm but socioeconomic differences persist. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 1525–1530.
6. RR Kipping , R Jago & DA Lawlor (2008) Obesity in children. Part 1: epidemiology, measurement, risk factors, and screening. BMJ 337, 922–927.
7. JC Han , DA Lawlor & SY Kimm (2010) Childhood obesity. Lancet 375, 1737–1748.
9. JA Morrison , CJ Glueck , PS Horn et al. (2010) Childhood predictors of adult type 2 diabetes at 9- and 26-year follow-ups. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164, 53–60.
10. PW Franks , RL Hanson , WC Knowler et al. (2007) Childhood predictors of young-onset type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 56, 2964–2972.
11. DS Ludwig , MA Pereira , CH Kroenke et al. (1999) Dietary fiber, weight gain, and cardiovascular disease risk factors in young adults. JAMA 282, 1539–1546.
12. MA Pereira , DR Jacobs Jr, L Van Horn et al. (2002) Dairy consumption, obesity, and the insulin resistance syndrome in young adults. JAMA 287, 2081–2089.
13. MB Schulze , M Schulz , C Heidemann et al. (2007) Fiber and magnesium intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes: a prospective study and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 167, 956–965.
14. M Parillo , AA Rivellese , AV Ciardullo et al. (1992) A high-monounsaturated-fat/low-carbohydrate diet improves peripheral insulin sensitivity in non-insulin-dependent diabetic patients. Metabolism 41, 1373–1378.
15. BE Karlström , AE Järvi , L Byberg et al. (2011) Fatty fish in the diet of patients with type 2 diabetes: comparison of the metabolic effects of foods rich in n–3 and n–6 fatty acids. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 26–33.
18. TK Houston (2006) Active and passive smoking and development of glucose intolerance among young adults in a prospective cohort: CARDIA study. BMJ 332, 1064–1069.
19. AS Thomas , LF Greene , JD Ard et al. (2009) Physical activity may facilitate diabetes prevention in adolescents. Diabetes Care 32, 9–13.
20. M Henderson , K Gray-Donald , ME Mathieu et al. (2012) How are physical activity, fitness, and sedentary behavior associated with insulin sensitivity in children? Diabetes Care 35, 1272–1278.
21. R Jago , N Wedderkopp , PL Kristensen et al. (2008) Six-year change in youth physical activity and effect on fasting insulin and HOMA-IR. Am J Prev Med 35, 554–560.
22. LJ Gillis , LC Kennedy , AM Gillis et al. (2002) Relationship between juvenile obesity, dietary energy and fat intake and physical activity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 458–463.
23. CJ Riddoch , SD Leary , AR Ness et al. (2009) Prospective associations between objective measures of physical activity and fat mass in 12–14 year old children: the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC). BMJ 339, b4544.
24. JA Morrison , CJ Glueck & P Wang (2009) Preteen insulin levels interact with caloric intake to predict increases in obesity at ages 18 to 19 years: a 10-year prospective study of black and white girls. Metabolism 59, 718–727.
25. SY Kimm , NW Glynn , E Obarzanek et al. (2005) Relation between the changes in physical activity and body-mass index during adolescence: a multicentre longitudinal study. Lancet 366, 301–307.
26. SY Kimm , E Obarzanek , BA Barton et al. (1996) Race, socioeconomic status, and obesity in 9- to 10-year-old girls: the NHLBI Growth and Health Study. Ann Epidemiol 6, 266–275.
27. PB Crawford , E Obarzanek , J Morrison et al. (1994) Comparative advantage of 3-day food records over 24-hour recall and 5-day food frequency validated by observation of 9- and 10-year-old girls. J Am Diet Assoc 94, 626–630.
29. SY Kimm , NW Glynn , AM Kriska et al. (2000) Longitudinal changes in physical activity in a biracial cohort during adolescence. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32, 1445–1454.
30. DR Matthews , JP Hosker , AS Rudenski et al. (1985) Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28, 412–419.
31. M Keskin , S Kurtoglu , M Kendirci et al. (2005) Homeostasis model assessment is more reliable than the fasting glucose/insulin ratio and quantitative insulin sensitivity check index for assessing insulin resistance among obese children and adolescents. Pediatrics 115, e500–e503.
32. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal et al. (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
34. JJ Langone , HB Gjika & H Van Vunakis (1973) Nicotine and its metabolites. Radioimmunoassays for nicotine and cotinine. Biochemistry 12, 5025–5030.
35. NJ Haley , CM Axelrad & KA Tilton (1983) Validation of self-reported smoking behavior: biochemical analyses of cotinine and thiocyanate. Am J Public Health 73, 1204–1207.
37. SY Kimm , BA Barton , E Obarzanek et al. (2002) Obesity development during adolescence in a biracial cohort: the NHLBI Growth and Health Study. Pediatrics 110, e54.
8. Y Pan & CA Pratt (2008) Metabolic syndrome and its association with diet and physical activity in US adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 276–286.
40. NM McKeown , JB Meigs , S Liu et al. (2004) Carbohydrate nutrition, insulin resistance, and the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in the Framingham Offspring Cohort. Diabetes Care 27, 538–546.
41. J Salmeron , JE Manson , MJ Stampfer et al. (1997) Dietary fiber, glycemic load, and risk of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in women. JAMA 277, 472–477.
44. A Houtsmuller , J van Hal-Ferwerda , K Zahn et al. (1980) Favourable influences of linoleic acid on the progression of diabetic micro- and macroangiopathy. Ann Nutr Metabol 24, 105–118.
45. A Tirosh , I Shai , A Afek et al. (2011) Adolescent BMI trajectory and risk of diabetes versus coronary disease. N Engl J Med 364, 1315–1325.
46. GP Nassis , K Papantakou , K Skenderi et al. (2005) Aerobic exercise training improves insulin sensitivity without changes in body weight, body fat, adiponectin, and inflammatory markers in overweight and obese girls. Metabolism 54, 1472–1479.
47. B Schwartz , DR Jacobs Jr, A Moran et al. (2008) Measurement of insulin sensitivity in children: comparison between the euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamp and surrogate measures. Diabetes Care 31, 783–788.