This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. SS Lim , T Vos , AD Flaxman et al. (2012) A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380, 2224–2260.
3. P Scarborough , KE Nnoaham , D Clarke et al. (2010) Modelling the impact of a healthy diet on cardiovascular disease and cancer mortality. J Epidemiol Community Health 66, 420–426.
4. N Stefanogiannis , CM Lawes , M Turley et al. (2005) Nutrition and the burden of disease in New Zealand: 1997–2011. Public Health Nutr 8, 395–401.
5. CA Monteiro , RB Levy , RM Claro et al. (2010) A new classification of foods based on the extent and purpose of their processing. Cad Saude Publica 26, 2039–2049.
37. N Slimani , G Deharveng , D Southgate et al. (2009) Contribution of highly industrially processed foods to the nutrient intakes and patterns of middle-aged populations in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, Suppl. 4, S206–S225.
9. R Rekhy & R McConchie (2014) Promoting consumption of fruit and vegetables for better health. Have campaigns delivered on the goals? Appetite 79, 113–123.
10. DA Cohen (2008) Obesity and the built environment: changes in environmental cues cause energy imbalances. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, Suppl. 7, S137–S142.
11. AL Escaron , AM Meinen , SA Nitzke et al. (2013) Supermarket and grocery store-based interventions to promote healthful food choices and eating practices: a systematic review. Prev Chronic Dis 10, E50.
13. M Story , KM Kaphingst , R Robinson-O’Brien et al. (2008) Creating healthy food and eating environments: policy and environmental approaches. Annu Rev Public Health 29, 253–272.
15. LM Powell , MC Auld , FJ Chaloupka et al. (2007) Access to fast food and food prices: relationship with fruit and vegetable consumption and overweight among adolescents. Adv Health Econ Health Serv Res 17, 23–48.
17. LM Lipsky (2009) Are energy-dense foods really cheaper? Reexamining the relation between food price and energy density. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 1397–1401.
19. JE Tillotson (2004) America’s obesity: conflicting public policies, industrial economic development, and unintended human consequences. Annu Rev Nutr 24, 617–643.
20. P Pinstrup-Andersen (2002) Food and agricultural policy for a globalizing world: preparing for the future. Am J Agric Econ 84, 1201–1214.
23. LE Thornton , AJ Cameron , SA McNaughton et al. (2013) Does the availability of snack foods in supermarkets vary internationally? Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 10, 56.
24. D Stuckler , M McKee , S Ebrahim et al. (2012) Manufacturing epidemics: the role of global producers in increased consumption of unhealthy commodities including processed foods, alcohol, and tobacco. PLoS Med 9, e1001235.
25. CM Bava , SR Jaeger & J Dawson (2009) In-store influences on consumers’ grocery purchasing decisions: a qualitative investigation. J Custom Behav 8, 221–236.
27. E Dunford , J Webster , AB Metzler et al. (2012) International collaborative project to compare and monitor the nutritional composition of processed foods. Eur J Prev Cardiol 19, 1326–1332.
30. S Vandevijvere & B Swinburn (2014) Towards global benchmarking of food environments and policies to reduce obesity and diet-related non-communicable diseases: design and methods for nation-wide surveys. BMJ Open 4, e005339.
32. A Drewnowski (2010) The cost of US foods as related to their nutritive value. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1181–1188.
33. R Moodie , D Stuckler , C Monteiro et al. (2013) Profits and pandemics: prevention of harmful effects of tobacco, alcohol, and ultra-processed food and drink industries. Lancet 381, 670–679.
35. K Glanz , MD Bader & S Iyer (2012) Retail grocery store marketing strategies and obesity: an integrative review. Am J Prev Med 42, 503–512.
40. TA Brunner , K Van der Horst & M Siegrist (2010) Convenience food products. Drivers for consumption. Appetite 55, 498–506.
42. J Struben , D Chan & L Dube (2014) Policy insights from the nutritional food market transformation model: the case of obesity prevention. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1331, 57–75.
43. BA Swinburn , G Sacks , KD Hall et al. (2011) The global obesity pandemic: shaped by global drivers and local environments. Lancet 378, 804–814.