This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DA Balentine , SA Wiseman & LCM Bouwens (1997) The chemistry of tea flavonoids. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 37, 693–704.
2. IA Hakim , MA Alsaif , M Alduwaihy (2003) Tea consumption and the prevalence of coronary heart disease in Saudi adults: results from a Saudi national study. Prev Med 36, 64–70.
3. KJ Mukamal , M Maclure , JE Muller (2002) Tea consumption and mortality after acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 105, 2476–2481.
4. A Basu & EA Lucas (2007) Mechanisms and effects of green tea on cardiovascular health. Nutr Rev 65, 361–375.
5. S Inami , M Takano , M Yamamoto (2008) Tea catechin consumption reduces circulating oxidized low-density lipoprotein. Int Heart J 48, 725–732.
6. JH O’Keefe , NM Gheewala & J O’Keefe (2008) Dietary strategies for improving post-prandial glucose, lipids, inflammation, and cardiovascular health. J Am Coll Cardiol 51, 249–255.
7. GL Tipoe , TM Leung , MW Hung (2007) Green tea polyphenols as an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent for cardiovascular protection. Cardiovasc Hematol Disord Drug Targets 7, 135–144.
8. SK Kim , HJ Kim , SE Choi (2008) Anti-oxidative and inhibitory activities on nitric oxide (NO) and prostaglandin E2 (COX-2) production of flavonoids from seeds of Prunus tomentosa Thunberg. Arch Pharm Res 31, 424–428.
9. S Ahmed , A Rahman , A Hasnain (2002) Green tea polyphenol epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits the IL-1β-induced activity and expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and nitric oxide synthase-2 in human chondrocytes. Free Radic Biol Med 33, 1097–1105.
11. IA-L Persson , M Josefsson , K Persson (2006) Tea flavanols inhibit angiotensin-converting enzyme activity and increase nitric oxide production in human endothelial cells. J Pharm Pharmacol 58, 1139–1144.
12. L Bramati , F Aquiland & P Pietta (2003) Unfermented Rooibos tea. Quantitative characterization of flavonoids by HPLC-UV and determination of the total antioxidant activity. J Agric Food Chem 51, 7472–7474.
13. H Nishimura (2000) Angiotensin receptors – evolutionary overview and perspectives. Comp Biochem Physiol 128, 11–30.
14. SC Benson , R Iguchi , CI Ho (2008) Inhibition of cardiovascular cell proliferation by angiotensin receptor blockers: are all molecules the same? J Hypertens 26, 973–980.
15. R Fogari & A Zoppi (2006) Antihypertensive drugs and fibrinolytic function. Am J Hypertens 19, 1293–1299.
16. JW Rush & CD Aultman (2008) Vascular biology of angiotensin and the impact of physical activity. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 33, 162–172.
17. D Weiss , D Sorescu & WR Taylor (2001) Angiotensin II and atherosclerosis. Am J Cardiol 87, 25C–32C.
18. WH Birkenhäger & JA Staessen (2006) Progress in cardiovascular diseases: cognitive function in essential hypertension. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 49, 1–10.
19. PR Gard (2002) The role of angiotensin II in cognition and behavior. Eur J Pharmacol 438, 1–14.
21. R Reed , C Kolz , B Potter (2008) The mechanistic basis for the disparate effects of angiotensin II on coronary collateral growth. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28, 61–67.
22. B Rigat , C Hubert , F Alhenc-Gelas (1990) An insertion/deletion polymorphism in the angiotensin I-converting enzyme gene accounting for half the variance of serum enzyme levels. J Clin Invest 86, 1343–1346.
25. F Cambien , O Poirier , L Lecerf (1992) Deletion polymorphism in the gene for angiotensin-converting enzyme is a potent risk factor for myocardial infarction. Nature 359, 641–644.
26. NJ Samani , JR Thompson , L O’Toole (1996) A meta-analysis of the association of the deletion allele of the angiotensin-converting enzyme gene with myocardial infarction. Circulation 94, 708–712.
27. LJ Millatt , EM Abdel-Rahman & HM Siragy (1999) Angiotensin II and nitric oxide: a question of balance. Regul Pept 81, 1–10.
28. MS Fernándes-Alfonso & C González (1999) Nitric oxide and the renin–angiotensin system. Is there a physiological interplay between the systems? J Hypertens 17, 1355–1361.
29. S Kurz , U Hink , G Nickenig (1999) Evidence for a causal role of the renin–angiotensin system in nitrate tolerance. Circulation 99, 3181–3187.
30. A Ackermann , MS Fernández-Alfonso , R Sánchez de Rojas (1998) Modulation of angiotensin-converting enzyme by nitric oxide. Br J Pharmacol 124, 291–298.
31. K Persson & RGG Andersson (1999) Nitric oxide modulates captopril-mediated angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition in porcine iliac arteries. Eur J Pharmacol 385, 21–27.
32. K Persson , PW Whiss , K Nyhlén (2000) Nitric oxide donors and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors act in concert to inhibit human angiotensin-converting enzyme activity and platelet aggregation in vitro. Eur J Pharmacol 406, 15–23.
33. T Lauer , M Preik , T Rassaf (2001) Plasma nitrite rather than nitrate reflects regional endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity but lacks intrinsic vasodilator action. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98, 12814–12819.
34. KT Cheon , KH Choi , HB Lee (2000) Gene polymorphisms of endothelial nitric oxide synthase and angiotensin-converting enzyme in patients with lung cancer. Lung 178, 351–360.
35. S Karakaya (2004) Bioavailability of phenolic compounds. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 44, 453–464.
36. F Cambien (1994) The angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) genetic polymorphism: its relationship with plasma ACE level and myocardial infarction. Clin Genet 46, 94–101.
37. K Persson , ACE Säfholm , RGG Andersson (2005) Glyceryl trinitrate-induced angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibition in healthy volunteers is dependent on ACE genotype. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 83, 1117–1122.
38. AHJ Danser , WW Batenburg , AH van den Meiracker (2007) ACE phenotyping as a first step toward personalized medicine for ACE inhibitors. Why does ACE genotyping not predict the therapeutic efficacy of ACE inhibitors? Pharmacol Ther 113, 607–618.
40. K Berecek & L Zhang (1995) Biochemistry and cell biology of angiotensin-converting enzyme and converting enzyme inhibitors. Adv Exp Med Biol 377, 141–168.
42. D Grassi , TPJ Mulder , R Draijer (2009) Black tea consumption dose-dependently improves flow-mediated dilation in healthy males. J Hypertens 27, 774–781.
45. CM Chen , W Zhao , Z Yang (2008) The role of dietary factors in chronic disease control in China. Obes Rev 9, Suppl. 1, 100–103.
46. EP López , C Rice , DO Weddle (2008) The relationship among cardiovascular risk factors, diet patterns, alcohol consumption, and ethnicity among women aged 50 years and older. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 248–256.
47. C Patterson , JW Feightner , A Garcia (2008) Diagnosis and treatment of dementia: risk assessment and primary prevention of Alzheimer disease. CMAJ 178, 548–556.
48. LO Dragsted (2003) Antioxidant actions of polyphenols in humans. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 73, 112–119.
49. PM Aron & JA Kennedy (2008) Flavan-3-ols: nature, occurrence and biological activity. Mol Nutr Food Res 52, 79–104.
50. AW Boots , GRMM Haenen & A Bast (2008) Health effects of quercetin: from antioxidant to nutraceutical. Eur J Pharmacol 585, 325–337.
51. J Hwang , J Wang , P Morazzoni (2003) The phytoestrogen equol increases nitric oxide availability by inhibiting superoxide production: an antioxidant mechanism for cell-mediated LDL modification. Free Radic Biol Med 34, 1271–1282.
53. AC Kaliora & GVZ Dedoussis (2007) Natural antioxidant compounds in risk factors for CVD. Pharmacol Res 56, 99–109.
54. I Svarcova , J Heinrich & K Valentova (2007) Berry fruits as a source of biologically active compounds: the case of Lonicera caerulea. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 151, 163–174.