1. Lobstein T & Jackson-Leach R (2007) Child overweight and obesity in the USA: prevalence rates according to IOTF definitions. Int J Pediatr Obes 2, 62–64.
2. Martin JJ, Hernandez LS, Gonzalez MG, Mendez CP, Rey Galan C & Guerrero SM (2008) Trends in childhood and adolescent obesity prevalence in Oviedo (Asturias, Spain) 1992–2006. Acta Paediatr 97, 955–958.
3. Juliusson PB, Roelants M, Eide GE, Hauspie R, Waaler PE & Bjerknes R (2007) Overweight and obesity in Norwegian children: secular trends in weight-for-height and skinfolds. Acta Paediatr 96, 1333–1337.
4. Lobstein T & Frelut ML (2003) Prevalence of overweight among children in Europe. Obes Rev 4, 195–200.
5. Bibbins-Domingo K, Coxson P, Pletcher MJ, Lightwood J & Goldman L (2007) Adolescent overweight and future adult coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 357, 2371–2379.
6. Li S, Chen W, Srinivasan SR & Berenson GS (2004) Childhood blood pressure as a predictor of arterial stiffness in young adults: the Bogalusa Heart Study. Hypertension 43, 541–546.
7. Raitakari OT, Juonala M, Kahonen M et al. (2003) Cardiovascular risk factors in childhood and carotid artery intima-media thickness in adulthood: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. JAMA 290, 2277–2283.
8. Thomas C, Hypponen E & Power C (2008) Obesity and type 2 diabetes risk in midadult life: the role of childhood adversity. Pediatrics 121, e1240–e1249.
9. Kafatos A & Mamalakis G (1993) Changing patterns of fat intake in Crete. Eur J Clin Nutr 47, Suppl. 1, S21–S24.
10. Voukiklaris GE, Kafatos A & Dontas AS (1996) Changing prevalence of coronary heart disease risk factors and cardiovascular diseases in men of a rural area of Crete from 1960 to 1991. Angiology 47, 43–49.
11. Kaur H, Hyder ML & Poston WS (2003) Childhood overweight: an expanding problem. Treat Endocrinol 2, 375–388.
12. Micic D (2001) Obesity in children and adolescents – a new epidemic? Consequences in adult life. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 14, Suppl. 5, 1345–1352.
13. Law M (2000) Dietary fat and adult diseases and the implications for childhood nutrition: an epidemiologic approach. Am J Clin Nutr 72, 5 Suppl., 1291S–1296S.
14. Pitsavos C, Panagiotakos DB, Chrysohoou C, Skoumas J, Papaioannou I, Stefanadis C & Toutouzas PK (2002) The effect of Mediterranean diet on the risk of the development of acute coronary syndromes in hypercholesterolemic people: a case–control study (CARDIO2000). Coron Artery Dis 13, 295–300.
15. Ask AS, Hernes S, Aarek I, Johannessen G & Haugen M (2006) Changes in dietary pattern in 15 year old adolescents following a 4 month dietary intervention with school breakfast – a pilot study. Nutr J 5, 33.
16. Harrell TK, Davy BM, Stewart JL & King DS (2005) Effectiveness of a school-based intervention to increase health knowledge of cardiovascular disease risk factors among rural Mississippi middle school children. South Med J 98, 1173–1180.
17. Manios Y & Kafatos A (2006) Health and nutrition education in primary schools in Crete: 10 years follow-up of serum lipids, physical activity and macronutrient intake. Br J Nutr 95, 568–575.
18. Giannakopoulos G, Panagiotakos D, Mihas C & Tountas Y (2009) Adolescent smoking and health-related behaviours: interrelations in a Greek school-based sample. Child Care Health Dev 35, 164–170.
19. Kosti RI, Panagiotakos DB, Mihas CC, Alevizos A, Zampelas A, Mariolis A & Tountas Y (2007) Dietary habits, physical activity and prevalence of overweight/obesity among adolescents in Greece: the Vyronas study. Med Sci Monit 13, CR437–CR444.
20. Kosti RI, Panagiotakos DB, Zampelas A, Mihas C, Alevizos A, Leonard C, Tountas Y & Mariolis A (2008) The association between consumption of breakfast cereals and BMI in schoolchildren aged 12–17 years: the VYRONAS study. Public Health Nutr 11, 1015–1021.
21. Kourlaba G, Panagiotakos DB, Mihas K, Alevizos A, Marayiannis K, Mariolis A & Tountas Y (2009) Dietary patterns in relation to socio-economic and lifestyle characteristics among Greek adolescents: a multivariate analysis. Public Health Nutr 12, 1366–1372.
22. Mihas C, Mariolis A, Manios Y, Naska A, Panagiotakos D, Arapaki A, Alevizos A, Mariolis-Sapsakos T & Tountas Y (2009) Overweight/obesity and factors associated with body mass index during adolescence: the VYRONAS study. Acta Paediatr 98, 495–500.
24. Nemet D, Barkan S, Epstein Y, Friedland O, Kowen G & Eliakim A (2005) Short- and long-term beneficial effects of a combined dietary–behavioural–physical activity intervention for the treatment of childhood obesity. Pediatrics 115, e443–e449.
25. Walter HJ & Wynder EL (1989) The development, implementation, evaluation, and future directions of a chronic disease prevention program for children: the ‘Know Your Body’ studies. Prev Med 18, 59–71.
26. Manios Y & Kafatos A (1999) Health and nutrition education in elementary schools: changes in health knowledge, nutrient intakes and physical activity over a six year period. Public Health Nutr 2, 445–448.
27. Bandura A (2001) Social cognitive theory: an agentic perspective. Annu Rev Psychol 52, 1–26.
28. Perry CL, Baranowski T & Parcel G (1990) How individuals, environments and health behaviour interact: social learning theory. In Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research and Practice, pp. 161–184 [K Glanz, FM Lewis and BK Rimer, editors]. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
29. Perry CL, Luepker RV, Murray DM, Kurth C, Mullis R, Crockett S & Jacobs DR Jr (1988) Parent involvement with children’s health promotion: the Minnesota Home Team. Am J Public Health 78, 1156–1160.
30. Cole TJ, Bellizzi MC, Flegal KM & Dietz WH (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
33. Harrell JS, McMurray RG, Gansky SA, Bangdiwala SI & Bradley CB (1999) A public health vs a risk-based intervention to improve cardiovascular health in elementary school children: the Cardiovascular Health in Children Study. Am J Public Health 89, 1529–1535.
34. O’Donnell SI, Hoerr SL, Mendoza JA & Tsuei Goh E (2008) Nutrient quality of fast food kids meals. Am J Clin Nutr 88, 1388–1395.
35. Ferro-Luzzi A, James WP & Kafatos A (2002) The high-fat Greek diet: a recipe for all? Eur J Clin Nutr 56, 796–809.
36. Angelopoulos PD, Milionis HJ, Grammatikaki E, Moschonis G & Manios Y (2009) Changes in BMI and blood pressure after a school based intervention: The CHILDREN study. Eur J Public Health 19, 319–325.
37. Baxter SD & Thompson WO (2002) Fourth-grade children’s consumption of fruit and vegetable items available as part of school lunches is closely related to preferences. J Nutr Educ Behav 34, 166–171.
38. Aberg MA, Aberg N, Brisman J, Sundberg R, Winkvist A & Toren K (2009) Fish intake of Swedish male adolescents is a predictor of cognitive performance. Acta Paediatr 98, 555–560.
39. Bush PJ, Zuckerman AE, Theiss PK, Taggart VS, Horowitz C, Sheridan MJ & Walter HJ (1989) Cardiovascular risk factor prevention in black schoolchildren: two-year results of the ‘Know Your Body’ program. Am J Epidemiol 129, 466–482.
40. Manios Y, Moschandreas J, Hatzis C & Kafatos A (1999) Evaluation of a health and nutrition education program in primary school children of Crete over a three-year period. Prev Med 28, 149–159.
41. Luepker RV, Perry CL, McKinlay SM et al. (1996) Outcomes of a field trial to improve children’s dietary patterns and physical activity. The Child and Adolescent Trial for Cardiovascular Health. CATCH collaborative group. JAMA 275, 768–776.
42. Kafatos A, Manios Y & Moschandreas J (2005) Health and nutrition education in primary schools of Crete: follow-up changes in body mass index and overweight status. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 1090–1092.
43. Higginbotham J (1992) Necessities for evaluating behavior change in health promotion/disease prevention programs: knowledge, skill, and attitude. Fam Community Health 15, 41–56.
44. Graves K, Shannon B, Sims L & Johnson S (1982) Nutrition knowledge and attitudes of elementary school students after receiving nutrition education. J Am Diet Assoc 81, 422–427.