This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , LR Curtin et al. (2010) Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007–2008. JAMA 303, 242–249.
2. M Story , MS Nanney & MB Schwartz (2009) Schools and obesity prevention: creating school environments and policies to promote healthy eating and physical activity. Milbank Q 87, 71–100.
3. K Resnicow (1993) School-based obesity prevention. Population versus high-risk interventions. Ann N Y Acad Sci 699, 154–166.
4. SE Barlow (2007) Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report. Pediatrics 120, Suppl. 4, S164–S192.
5. SL Bullock , L Craypo , SE Clark et al. (2010) Food and beverage environment analysis and monitoring system: a reliability study in the school food and beverage environment. J Am Diet Assoc 110, 1084–1088.
8. LA Lytle , MY Kubik , C Perry et al. (2006) Influencing healthful food choices in school and home environments: results from the TEENS study. Prev Med 43, 8–13.
9. L Parker & A Fox (2001) The Peterborough Schools Nutrition Project: a multiple intervention programme to improve school-based eating in secondary schools. Public Health Nutr 4, 1221–1228.
10. CL Perry , DB Bishop , GL Taylor et al. (2004) A randomized school trial of environmental strategies to encourage fruit and vegetable consumption among children. Health Educ Behav 31, 65–76.
11. JM Tester , IH Yen & B Laraia (2010) Mobile food vending and the after-school food environment. Am J Prev Med 38, 70–73.
12. MY Kubik , LA Lytle , PJ Hannan et al. (2003) The association of the school food environment with dietary behaviors of young adolescents. Am J Public Health 93, 1168–1173.
14. AM Sanigorski , AC Bell , PJ Kremer et al. (2005) Lunchbox contents of Australian school children: room for improvement. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 1310–1316.
15. JF Sallis , TL McKenzie , TL Conway et al. (2003) Environmental interventions for eating and physical activity: a randomized controlled trial in middle schools. Am J Prev Med 24, 209–217.
16. K van der Horst , A Timperio , D Crawford et al. (2008) The school food environment associations with adolescent soft drink and snack consumption. Am J Prev Med 35, 217–223.
17. KJ Coleman , M Shordon , SL Caparosa et al. (2012) The healthy options for nutrition environments in schools (Healthy ONES) group randomized trial: using implementation models to change nutrition policy and environments in low income schools. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 9, 80.
18. J Herbert & C Attridge (1975) A guide for developers and users of observation systems and manuals. Am Educ Res J 12, 1–20.
19. TL McKenzie , SJ Marshall , JF Sallis et al. (2000) Leisure-time physical activity in school environments: an observational study using SOPLAY. Prev Med 30, 70–77.
23. MK Fox , A Gordon , R Nogales et al. (2009) Availability and consumption of competitive foods in US public schools. J Am Diet Assoc 109, 2 Suppl., S57–S66.
26. SE Benjamin , B Neelon , SC Ball et al. (2007) Reliability and validity of a nutrition and physical activity environmental self-assessment for child care. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 4, 29.
27. DS Ward , SE Benjamin , AS Ammerman et al. (2008) Nutrition and physical activity in child care: results from an environmental intervention. Am J Prev Med 35, 352–356.
28. K Glanz , JF Sallis , BE Saelens et al. (2007) Nutrition Environment Measures Survey in stores (NEMS-S): development and evaluation. Am J Prev Med 32, 282–289.
29. BE Saelens , K Glanz , JF Sallis et al. (2007) Nutrition Environment Measures Study in restaurants (NEMS-R): development and evaluation. Am J Prev Med 32, 273–281.
30. C Piernas & MF Popkin (2010) Trends in snacking among US children. Health Aff (Millwood) 29, 398–404.
31. AE Field , SB Austin , MW Gillman et al. (2004) Snackfood intake does not predict weight change among children and adolescents. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 1210–1216.
32. JS Hampl , CLB Heaton & CA Taylor (2003) Snacking patterns influence energy and nutrient intakes but not body mass index. J Hum Nutr Diet 16, 3–11.
33. TA Nicklas , M Morales , A Linares et al. (2004) Children's meal patterns have changed over a 21-year period: the Bogalusa Heart Study. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 753–761.
34. SM Phillips , LG Bandini , EN Naumova et al. (2004) Energy-dense snack food intake in adolescence: longitudinal relationship to weight and fatness. Obes Res 12, 461–472.
35. LA Francis , Y Lee & LL Birch (2003) Parental weight status and girls’ television viewing, snacking, and body mass indexes. Obes Res 11, 143–151.