1. Mokdad AH, Bowman BA, Ford ES et al. (2001) The continuing epidemics of obesity and diabetes in the United States. JAMA 286, 1195–1200.
2. Calle EE, Rodriguez C, Walker-Thurmond K et al. (2003) Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of US adults. N Engl J Med 348, 1625–1638.
3. Kenchaiah S, Evans JC, Levy D et al. (2002) Obesity and the risk of heart failure. N Engl J Med 347, 305–313.
4. Yanovski S (2000) Overweight, obesity and health risk: National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity. Arch Intern Med 160, 898–904.
5. Diez-Roux AV, Nieto FJ, Caulfield L et al. (1999) Neighbourhood differences in diet: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. J Epidemiol Community Health 53, 55–63.
6. Ellaway A & Macintyre S (1996) Does where you live predict health related behaviours? A case study in Glasgow. Health Bull (Edinb) 54, 443–446.
7. Dubowitz T, Heron M, Bird CE et al. (2008) Neighborhood socioeconomic status and fruit and vegetable intake among whites, blacks, and Mexican Americans in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 87, 1883–1891.
8. Block D & Kouba J (2006) A comparison of the availability and affordability of a market basket in two communities in the Chicago area. Public Health Nutr 9, 837–845.
9. Moore LV & Diez Roux AV (2006) Associations of neighborhood characteristics with the location and type of food stores. Am J Public Health 96, 325–331.
10. Morland K, Wing S, Diez RA et al. (2002) Neighborhood characteristics associated with the location of food stores and food service places. Am J Prev Med 22, 23–29.
11. Zenk SN, Schulz AJ, Hollis-Neely T et al. (2005) Fruit and vegetable intake in African Americans income and store characteristics. Am J Prev Med 29, 1–9.
12. Powell LM, Slater S, Mirtcheva D et al. (2007) Food store availability and neighborhood characteristics in the United States. Prev Med 44, 189–195.
13. Green C, Hoppa RD, Young TK et al. (2003) Geographic analysis of diabetes prevalence in an urban area. Soc Sci Med 57, 551–560.
14. Li F, Harmer PA, Cardinal BJ et al. (2008) Built environment, adiposity, and physical activity in adults aged 50–75. Am J Prev Med 35, 38–46.
15. Morland KB & Evenson KR (2009) Obesity prevalence and the local food environment. Health Place 15, 491–495.
16. Larson NI, Story MT & Nelson MC (2008) Neighborhood environments: disparities in access to healthy foods in the US. Am J Prev Med 36, 74–81.
17. Morland K, Diez Roux AV & Wing S (2006) Supermarkets, other food stores, and obesity: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Am J Prev Med 30, 333–339.
18. Cheadle A, Psaty BM, Curry S et al. (1991) Community-level comparisons between the grocery store environment and individual dietary practices. Prev Med 20, 250–261.
19. Franco M, Diez-Roux AV, Nettleton JA et al. (2009) Availability of healthy foods and dietary patterns: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 897–904.
20. Franco M, Diez Roux AV, Glass TA et al. (2008) Neighborhood characteristics and availability of healthy foods in Baltimore. Am J Prev Med 35, 561–567.
21. National Institute on Aging (2004) Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity Across the Life Span. http://handls.nih.gov/ (accessed July 2006).
22. Franco M, Nandi A, Glass T et al. (2007) Smoke before food: a tale of Baltimore City. Am J Public Health 97, 1178.
23. Jenkinson C, Layte R, Jenkinson D et al. (1997) A shorter form health survey: can the SF-12 replicate results from the SF-36 in longitudinal studies? J Public Health Med 19, 179–186.
24. Blanton CA, Moshfegh AJ, Baer DJ et al. (2006) The USDA Automated Multiple-Pass Method accurately estimates group total energy and nutrient intake. J Nutr 136, 2594–2599.
25. Guenther PM, Reedy J & Krebs-Smith SM (2008) Development of the Healthy Eating Index-2005. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 1896–1901.
26. Guenther PM, Reedy J, Krebs-Smith SM et al. (2007) Development and Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005. Technical Report. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
28. Cates S, Karns A, Carter-Young H et al. (2000) Survey of Manufacturing Practices in the Dietary Supplement Industry. Research Triangle Park, NC: Research Triangle Institute, Center for Economics Research.
29. Guenther PM, Juan WY, Lino M et al. (2008) Diet Quality of Low-Income and Higher Income Americans in 2003–2004 as Measured by the Healthy Eating Index-2005. Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
30. Morland K, Wing S & Diez RA (2002) The contextual effect of the local food environment on residents’ diets: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. Am J Public Health 92, 1761–1767.
31. Gittelsohn J & Sharma S (2009) Physical, consumer, and social aspects of measuring the food environment among diverse low-income populations. Am J Prev Med 36, 4 Suppl., S161–S165.
32. Odoms-Young AM, Zenk S & Mason M (2009) Measuring food availability and access in African-American communities: implications for intervention and policy. Am J Prev Med 36, 4 Suppl., S145–S150.
33. Darmon N & Drewnowski A (2008) Does social class predict diet quality? Am J Clin Nutr 87, 1107–1117.