This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. AM Prentice & A Jeb (1995) Obesity in Britain: gluttony or sloth? BMJ 311, 437–439.
4. B Swinburn , G Egger & F Raza (1999) Dissecting obesogenic environments: the development and application of a framework for identifying and prioritizing environmental interventions for obesity. Prev Med 29, 563–570.
5. W Hardeman , S Griffin , M Johnston et al. (2000) Interventions to prevent weight gain: a systematic review of psychological models and behaviour change methods. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 131–143.
6. M Sharma (2007) Behavioural intervention for preventing and treating obesity in adults. Obes Rev 8, 441–449.
7. VEPP Lemmens , A Oenema , KI Klepp et al. (2008) A systematic review of the evidence regarding efficacy of obesity prevention interventions among adults. Obes Rev 9, 446–455.
8. B Swinburn , T Gill & S Kumanyika (2005) Obesity prevention: a proposed framework for translating evidence into action. Obes Rev 6, 23–33.
9. T Brown , S Kelly & C Summerbell (2007) Prevention of obesity: a review of interventions. Obes Rev 8, 127–130.
11. RR Wing , DF Tate , AA Gorin et al. (2007) ‘Stop Regain’: are there negative effects of daily weighing? J Consult Clin Psychol 75, 652–656.
12. ML Butryn , S Phelan , JO Hill et al. (2007) Consistent self-monitoring of weight: a key component of successful weight loss maintenance. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 3091–3096.
13. FH Kanfer (1970) Self-monitoring: methodological limitations and clinical applications. J Consult Clin Psychol 35, 148–152.
14. DS Kirschenbaum (1987) Self-regulatory failure: a review with clinical implications. Clin Psychol Rev 7, 77–104.
15. K Glanz , RE Patterson , AR Kristal et al. (1998) Impact of work site health promotion on stages of dietary change: the working well trial. Health Educ Behav 25, 448–463.
16. SS Bull , C Gillette , RE Glasgow et al. (2003) Work site health promotion research: to what extent can we generalize the results and what is needed to translate research to practice? Health Educ Behav 30, 537–549.
17. EC Moura , OL Morais Neto , L Moura et al. (2008) Vigilância de fatores de risco para doenças crônicas por inquérito telefônico nas capitais dos 26 estados brasileiros e no Distrito Federal (2006). Rev Bras Epidemiol 11, 20–37.
19. CE Lewis , DR Jacobs Jr, H McCreath et al. (2000) Weight gain continues in the 1990s: 10-year trends in weight and overweight from the CARDIA study – Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults. Am J Epidemiol 151, 1172–1181.
20. TL Visscher , D Kromhout & JC Seidell (2002) Long-term and recent time trends in the prevalence of obesity among Dutch men and women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 1218–1224.
25. PM O'Neil & JD Brown (2005) Weighing the evidence: benefits of regular weight monitoring for weight control. J Nutr Educ Behav 37, 319–322.
26. JA Linde , RW Jeffery , EA Finch et al. (2007) Relation of body mass index to depression and weighing frequency in overweight women. Prev Med 45, 75–79.
27. DA Levitsky , J Garay , M Nausbaum et al. (2006) Monitoring weight daily blocks the freshman weight gain: a model for combating the epidemic of obesity. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1003–1010.
28. ME Alm , D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story et al. (2009) Self-weighing and weight control behaviors among adolescents with a history of overweight. J Adolesc Health 44, 424–430.
29. LE Burke , J Wang & MA Sevick (2011) Self-monitoring in weight loss: a systematic review of the literature. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 92–102.
30. JJ Vanwormer , AS French , MA Pereira et al. (2008) The impact of regular self-weighing on weight management: a systematic literature review. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 54.
31. SJW Robroek , FJ Van Lenthe , P Van Empelen et al. (2009) Determinants of participation in worksite health promotion programmes: a systematic review. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6, 26.
32. G Eysenbach (2005) The law of attrition. J Med Internet Res 7, e11.
33. AL Graham , NK Cobb , L Raymond et al. (2007) Effectiveness of an internet-based worksite smoking cessation intervention at 12 months. J Occup Envirom Med 49, 821–828.
34. DF Tate , RR Wing & RA Winett (2001) Using internet technology to deliver a behavioral weight loss program. JAMA 285, 1172–1177.
35. GG Bennett & RE Glasgow (2009) The delivery of public health interventions via the internet: actualizing their potential. Annu Rev Public Health 30, 273–292.
36. LP Svetkey , VJ Stevens , PJ Brantley et al. (2008) Comparison of strategies for sustaining weight loss: the weight loss maintenance randomized controlled trial. JAMA 299, 1139–1148.