This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. KM Flegal , MD Carroll , BK Kit et al. (2012) Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999–2010. JAMA 307, 491–497.
2. GA Bray (2004) Medical consequences of obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89, 2583–2589.
3. EA Finkelstein , JG Trogdon , JW Cohen et al. (2009) Annual medical spending attributable to obesity: payer- and service-specific estimates. Health Aff (Millwood) 28, w822–w831.
4. LM Powell , BT Nguyen & E Han (2012) Energy intake from restaurants: demographics and socioeconomics, 2003–2008. Am J Prev Med 43, 498–504.
5. SJ Nielsen , AM Siega-Riz & BM Popkin (2002) Trends in energy intake in US between 1977 and 1996: similar shifts seen across age groups. Obes Res 10, 370–378.
7. L Mancino , J Todd & B-H Lin (2009) Separating what we eat from where: measuring the effect of food away from home on diet quality. Food Policy 34, 557–562.
8. S Paeratakul , DP Ferdinand , CM Champagne et al. (2003) Fast-food consumption among US adults and children: dietary and nutrient intake profile. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 1332–1338.
9. SA Bowman & BT Vinyard (2004) Fast food consumption of US adults: impact on energy and nutrient intakes and overweight status. J Am Coll Nutr 23, 163–168.
10. JK Binkley (2008) Calorie and gram differences between meals at fast food and table service restaurants. Rev Agric Econ 30, 750–763.
11. N Larson , D Neumark-Sztainer , MN Laska et al. (2011) Young adults and eating away from home: associations with dietary intake patterns and weight status differ by choice of restaurant. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 1696–1703.
13. LM Powell & BT Nguyen (2013) Fast-food and full-service restaurant consumption among children and adolescents: effect on energy, beverage, and nutrient intake. JAMA Pediatr 167, 14–20.
14. KM Flegal , MD Carroll , CL Ogden et al. (2012) Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008. JAMA 303, 235–241.
16. RK Johnson , LJ Appel , M Brands et al. (2009) Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 120, 1011–1020.
17. K Bibbins-Domingo , GM Chertow , PG Coxson et al. (2010) Projected effect of dietary salt reductions on future cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 362, 590–599.
18. AH Eichtenstein , E Kennedy , P Barrier et al. (1998) Dietary fat consumption and health. Nutr Rev 56, 3–19.
21. PS Haines , MY Hama , DK Guilkey et al. (2003) Weekend eating in the United States is linked with greater energy, fat, and alcohol intake. Obes Res 11, 945–949.
23. F Faggiano , P Vineis , D Cravanzola et al. (1992) Validation of a method for the estimation of food portion size. Epidemiology 3, 379–382.
26. R Sturm & DA Cohen (2009) Zoning for health? The year-old ban on new fast-food restaurants in South LA. Health Aff (Millwood) 28, w1088–w1097.
27. B Bollinger , P Leslie & A Sorensen (2011) Calorie posting in chain restaurants. Am Econ J Econ Policy 3, 91–128.