This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. D Kromhout , E Bosschieter & C de Lesenne Coulander (1985) The inverse relation between fish consumption and 20-year mortality from coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 312, 1205–1209.
2. M Daviglus , J Stamler , A Orencia , A Dyer , R Alan , K Liu , P Greenland , M Walsh , D Morris & R Shekelle (1997) Fish consumption and the 30-year risk of fatal myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 336, 1046–1053.
3. C Albert , C Hennekens , C O’Donnell , U Ajani , V Carey , W Willett , J Ruskin & J Manson (1998) Fish consumption and risk of sudden cardiac death. JAMA 279, 23–28.
4. J Yuan , R Ross , Y Gao & M Yu (2001) Fish and shellfish consumption in relation to death from myocardial infarction among men in Shanghai, China. Am J Epidemiol 154, 809–816.
5. H Iso , M Kobayashi , J Ishihara , S Sasaki , K Okada , Y Kita , Y Kokubo & S Tsugane for the JPHC Study Group (2006) Intake of fish and n-3 fatty acids and risk of coronary heart disease among Japanese: the Japan Public Health Center-based (JPHC) study cohort I. Circulation 113, 195–202.
7. K He , Y Song , M Daviglus , K Liu , L Van Horn , A Dyer & P Greenland (2004) Accumulated evidence on fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Circulation 109, 2705–2711.
8. G Backer , E Ambrosioni , K Borch-Johnsen , C Brotons , R Cifkova , J Dallongeville (2006) European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice. Third joint task force of European and other societies on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 10, Suppl. 1, S1–S78.
9. R Krauss , R Eckel , B Howard (2000) AHA Dietary Guidelines revision 2000: a statement for healthcare professional from the nutrition committee of the American Heart Association. Circulation 102, 2284–2299.
11. T Pearson , S Blair , S Daniels (2002) AHA guidelines for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and stroke: 2002 update: consensus panel guide to comprehensive risk reduction for adult patients without coronary or other atherosclerotic vascular diseases. Circulation 106, 388–391.
12. J Zhang , S Sasaki , K Amano & H Kesteloot (1999) Fish consumption and mortality from all causes, ischemic heart disease, and stroke: an ecological study. Prev Med 28, 520–529.
13. R Heller , I Buchan , R Edwards , G Lyratzopoulos , P McElduff & S Leger (2004) Communicating risks at the population level: application of population impact numbers. BMJ 327, 1162–1165.
14. J Woo , S Leung , S Ho , A Sham , T Lam & ED Janus (1997) Dietary practices and lipid intake in relation to plasma lipid profile in Hong Kong Chinese. Eur J Clin Nutr 51, 467–471.
17. A Menotti , D Kromhout , H Blackburn , F Fidanza , R Buzina & A Nissinen (1999) Food intake patterns and 25-year mortality from coronary heart disease: cross-cultural correlations in the Seven Countries Study. Eur J Epidemiol 15, 507–515.
18. B Rodriguez , D Sharp , R Abbott , C Burchfiel , K Masaki , P-H Chyou , B Huang , K Yano & J Curb (1996) Fish intake may limit the increase in risk of coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality among heavy smokers. Circulation 94, 952–956.
19. C Oomen , E Feskens , J Edith , L Rasanen , F Fidanza , A Nissinen , A Menotti , F Kok & D Kromhout (2000) Fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality in Finland, Italy, and the Netherlands. Am J Epidemiol 151, 999–1006.
20. D Mozaffarian , R Lemaitre , L Kuller , G Burks , R Tracy & D Siscovick (2003) Cardiac benefits of fish consumption may depend on the type of fish meal consumed, the cardiovascular health study. Circulation 107, 1372–1377.
22. J Mann , P Appleby , T Key & M Thorogood (1997) Dietary determinants of ischaemic heart disease in health conscious individuals. Heart 78, 450–455.
23. M Osler , A Andreasen & S Hoidrup (2003) No inverse association between fish consumption and risk of death from all-causes, and incidence of coronary heart disease in middle-aged, Danish adults. J Clin Epidemiol 56, 274–279.
24. L Demaison & D Moreau (2002) Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and coronary heart disease-related mortality: a possible mechanism of action. Cell Mol Life Sci 59, 463–477.
25. C Harper & T Jacobson (2001) The fats of life: the role of omega-3 fatty acids in the prevention of coronary heart disease. Arch Intern Med 161, 2185–2192.
26. Y Xiao , D Sigg & A Leaf (2005) The antiarrhythmic effect of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: modulation of cardiac ion channels as a potential mechanism. J Membr Biol 206, 141–154.
28. F Hu , L Bronner , W Willett , M Stampfer , K Rexrode , C Albert , D Hunter & J Manson (2002) Fish and omega-3 fatty acid intake and risk of coronary heart disease in women. JAMA 287, 1815–1821.
30. T Rissanen , S Voutilainen , K Nyyssonen , T Lakka & J Salonen (2000) Fish oil-derived fatty acids, docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid, and the risk of acute coronary events: the Kuopio ischaemic heart disease risk factor study. Circulation 102, 2677–2679.
32. F Hu , E Cho , K Rexrode , C Albert & J Manson (2003) Fish and long-chain n-3 fatty acid intake and risk of coronary heart disease and total mortality in diabetic women. Circulation 107, 1852–1857.
33. TA Mori & RJ Woodman (2006) The independent effects of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on cardiovascular risk factors in human. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 9, 95–104.
34. J Zhang & H Kesteloot (2001) Differences in all-cause, cardiovascular and cancer mortality between Hong Kong and Singapore: role of nutrition. Eur J Epidemiol 17, 469–477.
35. L Hooper , R Thompson , R Harrison (2006) Risks and benefits of omega 3 fats for mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer: systematic review. BMJ 332, 752–760.