This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. NI Larson , CL Perry , M Story et al. (2006) Food preparation by young adults is associated with better diet quality. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 2001–2007.
2. NI Larson , M Story , ME Eisenberg et al. (2006) Food preparation and purchasing roles among adolescents: associations with sociodemographic characteristics and diet quality. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 211–218.
3. C McLaughlin , V Tarasuk & N Kreiger (2003) An examination of at-home food preparation activity among low-income, food-insecure women. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 1506–1512.
4. A Bandura (1977) Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychol Rev 84, 191–215.
5. L Hill , S Casswell , C Maskill et al. (1998) Fruit and vegetables as adolescent food choices in New Zealand. Health Promot Int 13, 55–65.
6. AB Cabalda , P Rayco-Solon , JA Solon et al. (2011) Home gardening is associated with Filipino preschool children's dietary diversity. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 711–715.
8. JL Morris & S Zidenberg-Cherr (2002) Garden-enhanced nutrition curriculum improves fourth-grade school children's knowledge of nutrition and preferences for some vegetables. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 91–93.
10. JC Spence , CM Blanchard , M Clark et al. (2010) The role of self-efficacy in explaining gender differences in physical activity among adolescents: a multilevel analysis. J Phys Act Health 7, 176–183.
12. D Gracey , N Stanley , V Burke et al. (1996) Nutritional knowledge, beliefs and behaviours in teenage school students. Health Educ Res 11, 187–204.
13. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Wall , C Perry et al. (2003) Correlates of fruit and vegetable intake among adolescents. Findings from Project EAT. Prev Med 37, 198–208.
14. MF Zabinski , T Daly , GJ Norman et al. (2006) Psychosocial correlates of fruit, vegetable, and dietary fat intake among adolescent boys and girls. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 814–821.
15. K Glanz , M Basil , E Maibach et al. (1998) Why Americans eat what they do: taste, nutrition, cost, convenience, and weight control concerns as influences on food consumption. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 1118–1126.
16. M Rasmussen , R Krolner , KI Klepp et al. (2006) Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among children and adolescents: a review of the literature. Part I: Quantitative studies. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 22.
17. BY Rollins , E Loken & LL Birch (2011) Preferences predict food intake from 5 to 11 years, but not in girls with higher weight concerns, dietary restraint, and %body fat. Obesity (Silver Spring) 19, 2190–2197.
18. MW Gillman , SL Rifas-Shiman , AL Frazier et al. (2000) Family dinner and diet quality among older children and adolescents. Arch Fam Med 9, 235–240.
19. NI Larson , D Neumark-Sztainer , PJ Hannan et al. (2007) Family meals during adolescence are associated with higher diet quality and healthful meal patterns during young adulthood. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1502–1510.
20. SM Krebs-Smith , PM Guenther , AF Subar et al. (2010) Americans do not meet federal dietary recommendations. J Nutr 140, 1832–1838.
21. KE Storey , LE Forbes , SN Fraser et al. (2009) Diet quality, nutrition and physical activity among adolescents: the Web-SPAN (Web-Survey of Physical Activity and Nutrition) project. Public Health Nutr 12, 2009–2017.
22. U Alexy , W Sichert-Hellert , T Rode et al. (2008) Convenience food in the diet of children and adolescents: consumption and composition. Br J Nutr 99, 345–351.
23. U Alexy , L Libuda , S Mersmann et al. (2011) Convenience foods in children's diet and association with dietary quality and body weight status. Eur J Clin Nutr 65, 160–166.
25. SA Bowman , SL Gortmaker , CB Ebbeling et al. (2004) Effects of fast-food consumption on energy intake and diet quality among children in a national household survey. Pediatrics 113, 112–118.
26. SA French , M Story , D Neumark-Sztainer et al. (2001) Fast food restaurant use among adolescents: associations with nutrient intake, food choices and behavioral and psychosocial variables. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 1823–1833.