This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DR Whiting , L Guariguata , C Weil et al. (2011) IDF Diabetes Atlas: global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 94, 311–321.
2. DP Guh , W Zhang , N Bansback et al. (2009) The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Public Health 9, 88.
3. MA Pereira , AI Kartashov , CB Ebbeling et al. (2005) Fast-food habits, weight gain, and insulin resistance (the CARDIA study): 15-year prospective analysis. Lancet 365, 36–42.
4. K Khunti , LJ Gray , T Skinner et al. (2012) Effectiveness of a diabetes education and self management programme (DESMOND) for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus: three year follow-up of a cluster randomised controlled trial in primary care. BMJ 344, e2333.
6. KJ Smith , SA McNaughton , SL Gall et al. (2009) Takeaway food consumption and its associations with diet quality and abdominal obesity: a cross-sectional study of young adults. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6, 29.
7. LV Moore , AD Roux , JA Nettleton et al. (2009) Fast-food consumption, diet quality, and neighborhood exposure to fast food. Am J Epidemiol 170, 29–36.
8. KJ Duffey , P Gordon-Larsen , LM Steffen et al. (2009) Regular consumption from fast food establishments relative to other restaurants is differentially associated with metabolic outcomes in young adults. J Nutr 139, 2113–2118.
9. A Astrup , J Dyerberg , M Selleck et al. (2008) Nutrition transition and its relationship to the development of obesity and related chronic diseases. Obes Rev 9, 48–52.
10. J Maddock (2004) The relationship between obesity and the prevalence of fast food restaurants: state-level analysis. Am J Health Promot 19, 137–143.
12. D Simmons , A McKenzie , S Eaton et al. (2005) Choice and availability of takeaway and restaurant food is not related to the prevalence of adult obesity in rural communities in Australia. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 703–710.
14. DR Webb , K Khunti , B Srinivasan et al. (2010) Rationale and design of the ADDITION-Leicester study, a systematic screening programme and randomised controlled trial of multi-factorial cardiovascular risk intervention in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus detected by screening. Trials 11, 16.
15. LG Gray , K Khunti , S Williams et al. (2012) Let’s Prevent Diabetes: study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial of an educational intervention in a multi-ethnic UK population with screen detected impaired glucose regulation. Cardiovasc Diabetol 11, 56.
16. T Yates , MJ Davies , J Henson et al. (2012) Walking away from type 2 diabetes: trial protocol of a cluster randomized controlled trial evaluating a structured education programme in those at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes. BMC Fam Pract 13, 46.
17. LJ Gray , K Khunti , C Edwardson et al. (2012) Implementation of the automated Leicester Practice Risk Score in two diabetes prevention trials provides a high yield of people with abnormal glucose tolerance. Diabetologia 55, 3238–3244.
19.WHO Expert Consultation (2004) Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 363, 157–163.
20. AT Kaczynski , AJ Johnson & BE Saelens (2010) Neighborhood land use diversity and physical activity in adjacent parks. Health Place 16, 413–415.
21. E Leslie , E Cerin & P Kremer (2010) Perceived neighborhood environment and park use as mediators of the effect of area socio-economic status on walking behaviors. J Phys Act Health 7, 802–810.
22. T Sugiyama , CW Thompson & S Alves (2009) Associations between neighborhood open space attributes and quality of life for older people in Britain. Environ Behav 41, 3–21.
24. SE Fleischhacker , KR Evenson , DA Rodriguez et al. (2011) A systematic review of fast food access studies. Obes Rev 12, e460–e471.
25. A Jaworowska , T Blackham , IG Davies et al. (2013) Nutritional challenges and health implications of takeaway and fast food. Nutr Rev 71, 310–318.
26. AM Prentice & SA Jebb (2003) Fast foods, energy density and obesity: a possible mechanistic link. Obes Rev 4, 187–194.
28. N Gholap , M Davies , K Patel et al. (2011) Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease in South Asians. Prim Care Diab 5, 45–56.