This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. S Caprio & M Genel (2005) Confronting the epidemic of childhood obesity. Pediatrics 115, 494–495.
2. AA Hedley , CL Ogden , CL Johnson , MD Carroll , LR Curtin & KM Flegal (2004) Prevalence of overweight and obesity among US children, adolescents, and adults, 1999–2002. JAMA 291, 2847–2850.
3. Y Manios , F Magkos , G Christakis & AG Kafatos (2005) Twenty-year dynamics in adiposity and blood lipids of Greek children: regional differences in Crete persist. Acta Paediatr 94, 859–865.
4. T Lobstein & R Jackson-Leach (2006) Estimated burden of paediatric obesity and co-morbidities in Europe. Part 2. Numbers of children with indicators of obesity-related disease. Int J Pediatr Obes 1, 33–41.
6. C Power , JK Lake & TJ Cole (1997) Measurement and long-term health risks of child and adolescent fatness. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 21, 507–526.
7. MK Serdula , D Ivery , RJ Coates , DS Freedman , DF Williamson & T Byers (1993) Do obese children become obese adults? A review of the literature. Prev Med 22, 167–177.
8. SL Gortmaker , A Must , JM Perrin , AM Sobol & WH Dietz (1993) Social and economic consequences of overweight in adolescence and young adulthood. N Engl J Med 329, 1008–1012.
9. A Must & RS Strauss (1999) Risks and consequences of childhood and adolescent obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23, Suppl. 2, S2–S11.
11. R Sinha , G Fisch , B Teague (2002) Prevalence of impaired glucose tolerance among children and adolescents with marked obesity. N Engl J Med 346, 802–810.
12. J Sorof & S Daniels (2002) Obesity hypertension in children: a problem of epidemic proportions. Hypertension 40, 441–447.
13. N van Putte-Katier , RP Rooman , L Haas , SL Verhulst , KN Desager , J Ramet & BE Suys (2008) Early cardiac abnormalities in obese children: importance of obesity per se versus associated cardiovascular risk factors. Pediatr Res 64, 205–209.
14. GB Mallory Jr, DH Fiser & R Jackson (1989) Sleep-associated breathing disorders in morbidly obese children and adolescents. J Pediatr 115, 892–897.
15. JB Schwimmer , TM Burwinkle & JW Varni (2003) Health-related quality of life of severely obese children and adolescents. JAMA 289, 1813–1819.
18. EM Satter (1996) Internal regulation and the evolution of normal growth as the basis for prevention of obesity in children. J Am Diet Assoc 96, 860–864.
19. LL Moore , DA Lombardi , MJ White , JL Campbell , SA Oliveria & RC Ellison (1991) Influence of parents’ physical activity levels on activity levels of young children. J Pediatr 118, 215–219.
20. JF Sallis , BG Simons-Morton , EJ Stone (1992) Determinants of physical activity and interventions in youth. Med Sci Sports Exerc 24, S248–S257.
21. SE Barlow & WH Dietz (1998) Obesity evaluation and treatment: Expert Committee recommendations. The Mothers’ and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration and the Department of Health and Human Services. Pediatrics 102, E29.
22. JP Elder , GX Ayala & S Harris (1999) Theories and intervention approaches to health-behavior change in primary care. Am J Prev Med 17, 275–284.
23. AE Baughcum , LA Chamberlin , CM Deeks , SW Powers & RC Whitaker (2000) Mothers’ perceptions of overweight preschool children. Pediatrics 106, 1380–1386.
24. A Kroke , S Strathmann & AL Gunther (2006) Mothers’ perceptions of her child’s body weight in infancy and early childhood and their relation to body weight status at age 7. Eur J Pediatr 165, 875–883.
25. KC Eckstein , LM Mikhail , AJ Ariza , JS Thomson , SC Millard & HJ Binns (2006) Parents’ perceptions of their child’s weight and health. Pediatrics 117, 681–690.
26. D Etelson , DA Brand , PA Patrick & A Shirali (2003) Childhood obesity: do parents recognize this health risk? Obes Res 11, 1362–1368.
27. AN Jeffery , LD Voss , BS Metcalf , S Alba & TJ Wilkin (2005) Parents’ awareness of overweight in themselves and their children: cross sectional study within a cohort (EarlyBird 21). BMJ 330, 23–24.
28. S Carnell , C Edwards , H Croker , D Boniface & J Wardle (2005) Parental perceptions of overweight in 3–5 y olds. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 353–355.
29. JS Huang , K Becerra , T Oda , E Walker , R Xu , M Donohue , I Chen , V Curbelo & A Breslow (2007) Parental ability to discriminate the weight status of children: results of a survey. Pediatrics 120, e112–e119.
30. Y Manios (2006) Design and descriptive results of the ‘Growth, Exercise and Nutrition Epidemiological Study In preSchoolers’: the GENESIS study. BMC Public Health 6, 32.
32. TJ Cole , MS Faith , A Pietrobelli & M Heo (2005) What is the best measure of adiposity change in growing children: BMI, BMI %, BMI Z-score or BMI centile? Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 419–425.
34. L Fisher , J Fraser & C Alexander (2006) Caregivers’ inability to identify childhood adiposity: a cross-sectional survey of rural children and their caregivers’ attitudes. Aust J Rural Health 14, 56–61.
37. AL Stewart (1982) The reliability and validity of self-reported weight and height. J Chronic Dis 35, 295–309.