This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. L Serra-Majem , B Roman & R Estruch (2006) Scientific evidence of interventions using the Mediterranean diet: a systematic review. Nutr Rev 64, Suppl. 1, S27–S47.
4. F Sofi , F Cesari , R Abbate (2008) Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: meta-analysis. BMJ 337, a1344.
5. V Benetou , A Trichopoulou , P Orfanos (2008) Greek EPIC cohort. Conformity to traditional Mediterranean diet and cancer incidence: the Greek EPIC cohort. Br J Cancer 99, 191–195.
6. M Meydani (2005) A Mediterranean-style diet and metabolic syndrome. Nutr Rev 63, 312–314.
8. A Trichopoulou , A Ocurrís-Blazos , ML Wahlqvist (1995) Diet and overall survival in elderly people. BMJ 311, 1457–1460.
15. G Buckland , A Bach-Faig & L Serra-Majem (2008) Obesity and the Mediterranean diet: a systematic review of observational and intervention studies. Obes Rev 9, 582–593.
18. L Tang , GR Zirpoli , K Guru (2008) Consumption of raw cruciferous vegetables is inversely associated with bladder cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17, 938–944.
19. HE Khoo , KN Prasad , KW Kong (2001) Carotenoids and their isomers: color pigments in fruits and vegetables. Molecules 16, 1710–1738.
20. A Ascherio (2002) Epidemiological studies on dietary fats and coronary heart disease. Am J Med 113, Suppl. 9B, 9S–12S.
21. S Casal , R Malheiro & A Sendas (2010) Olive oil stability under deep-frying conditions. Food Chem Toxicol 48, 2972–2979.
22. M Bertuzzi , A Tavani , E Negri (2002) Olive oil consumption and risk of non-fatal myocardial infarction in Italy. Int J Epidemiol 31, 1274–1277.
24. C La Vecchia (2009) Association between Mediterranean dietary patterns and cancer risk: review. Nutr Rev 67, Suppl. 1, S126–S129.
25. O Castañer , M Fitó , MC López-Sabater (2011) The effect of olive oil polyphenols on antibodies against oxidized LDL. A randomized clinical trial. Clin Nutr (Epublication ahead of print version).
26. C Pelucchi , C Bosetti , E Negri (2011) Olive oil and cancer risk: an update of epidemiological findings through 2010. Curr Pharm Des 17, 805–812.
27. G Corona , JP Spencer & MA Dessì (2009) Extra virgin olive oil phenolics: absorption, metabolism, and biological activities in the GI tract: review. Toxicol Ind Health 25, 285–293.
33. PM Kris-Etherton , WS Harris & LJ Appel (2002) American Heart Association. Nutrition Committee. Fish consumption, fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids, and cardiovascular disease. Circulation 106, 2747–2757.
34. AP Simopoulos (2006) Evolutionary aspects of diet, the omega-6/omega 3-ratio and genetic variation. Biomed Pharmacother 60, 502–507.
35. R Micha , SK Wallace & D Mozaffarian (2010) Red and processed meat consumption and risk of incident coronary heart disease, stroke, and diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Circulation 121, 2271–2283.
37. S Rochfort & J Panozzo (2007) Phytochemicals for health, the role of pulses. J Agric Food Chem 55, 7981–7994.
38. L Bazzano , J He , L Ogden (2001) Legume consumption and risk of coronary heart disease in US men and women: NHANES I Epidemiologic Follow-up Study. Arch Int Med 161, 2573–2578.
39. D Mozaffarian , T Hao , EB Rimm (2011) Changes in diet and lifestyle and long-term weight gain in women and men. New Engl J Med 364, 2392–2404.
43. J Thompson , K Boddy , K Stein (2011) Does participating in physical activity in outdoor natural environments have a greater effect on physical and mental wellbeing than physical activity indoors? A systematic review. Environ Sci Technol 45, 1761–1772.
44. G Ficca , J Axelsson , DJ Mollicone (2010) Naps, cognition and performance. Sleep Med Rev 14, 249–258.
47. L Serra-Majem (2010) Nutrición comunitaria y sostenibilidad: concepto y evidencias. Revista Española de Nutrición Comunitaria 16, 35–40.
49. E Stehfest , L Bouwman , DP Van Vuuren (2009) Climate benefits of changing diet. Climatic Change 95, 83–102.
51. JD Gussow & KL Clancy (1986) Dietary guidelines for sustainability. J Nutr Educ 18, 1–5.
52. IL Goldman , AA Kader & C Heintz (1999) Influence of production, handling, and storage on Phytonutrient content of food. Nutr Rev 57, 9 Pt 2, S46–S52.
54. A Trichopoulou , E Vasilopoulou , P Hollman (2000) Nutritional composition and flavonoid content of edible wild greens and green pies: a potential rich source of antioxidant nutrients in the Mediterranean diet. Food Chem 70, 319–323.
55. T Johns & BR Sthapit (2004) Biocultural diversity in the sustainability of developing-country food systems. Food Nutr Bull 25, 143–155.
56. AD Dangour , SK Dodhia , A Hayter (2009) Nutritional quality of organic foods: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 680–685.
58. D Lairon (2010) Nutritional quality and safety of organic food. A review. Agron Sustain Dev 30, 33–41.
59. A Carlsson-Kanyama & AD González (2009) Potential contributions of food consumption patterns to climate change. Am J Clin Nutr 89, Suppl. 5, 1704S–1709S.
60. L Horrigan , RS Lawrence & P Walker (2002) How sustainable agriculture can address the environmental and human health harms of industrial agriculture. Environ Health Perspect 110, 445–456.