This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. B Swinburn , G Egger & F Raza (1999) Dissecting obesogenic environments: the development and application of a framework for identifying and prioritizing environmental interventions for obesity. Prev Med 29, 563–570.
2. B Swinburn & G Egger (2002) Preventive strategies against weight gain and obesity. Obes Rev 3, 289–301.
4. MA Pereira , AI Kartashov , CB Ebbeling , ML Slattery , DR Jacobs & DS Ludwig (2005) Fast-food habits, weight gain, and insulin resistance (the CARDIA study): 15-year prospective analysis. Lancet 365, 36–42.
5. K Ball , J Salmon , B Giles-Corti & D Crawford (2006) How can socio-economic differences in physical activity among women be explained? A qualitative study. Women Health 43, 93–113.
6. SK Kumanyika (2001) Minisymposium on obesity: overview and some strategic considerations. Annu Rev Public Health 22, 293–308.
7. T Brown , S Kelly & C Summerbell (2007) Prevention of obesity: a review of interventions. Obes Rev 8, Suppl. 1, 127–130.
9. R West (2007) What lessons can be learned from tobacco control for combating the growing prevalence of obesity? Obes Rev 8, Suppl. 1, 145–150.
10. P Diehr , T Koepsell , A Cheadle , BM Psaty , E Wagner & S Curry (1993) Do communities differ in health behaviors? J Clin Epidemiol 46, 1141–1149.
12. K Morland , S Wing , A Diez Roux & C Poole (2002) Neighborhood characteristics associated with the location of food stores and food service places. Am J Prev Med 22, 23–29.
13. A Ellaway , A Anderson & S Macintyre (1997) Does area of residence affect body size and shape? Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 21, 304–308.
14. K Morland , AV Diez Roux & S Wing (2006) Supermarkets, other food stores, and obesity: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Am J Prev Med 30, 333–339.
15. S Macintyre , A Ellaway & S Cummins (2002) Place effects on health: how can we conceptualise, operationalise and measure them? Soc Sci Med 55, 125–139.
16. K Ball & D Crawford (2005) Socioeconomic status and weight change in adults: a review. Soc Sci Med 60, 1987–2010.
17. WP James , M Nelson , A Ralph & S Leather (1997) Socioeconomic determinants of health. The contribution of nutrition to inequalities in health. BMJ 314, 1545–1549.
18. B Giles-Corti & RJ Donovan (2002) Socioeconomic status differences in recreational physical activity levels and real and perceived access to a supportive physical environment. Prev Med 35, 601–611.
20. K Giskes , G Turrell , C Patterson & B Newman (2002) Socioeconomic differences among Australian adults in consumption of fruit and vegetables and intakes of vitamins A, C and folate. J Hum Nutr Diet 15, 375–385; discussion 387–390.
21. MV Groth , S Fagt & L Brondsted (2001) Social determinants of dietary habits in Denmark. Eur J Clin Nutr 55, 959–966.
23. CL Hupkens , RA Knibbe & MJ Drop (2000) Social class differences in food consumption. Eur J Public Health 10, 108–113.
26. SL Booth , JF Sallis , C Ritenbaugh (2001) Environmental and societal factors affect food choice and physical activity: rationale, influences, and leverage points. Nutr Rev 59, S21–S39; discussion S57–65.
27. KP Richter , KJ Harris , A Paine-Andrews , SB Fawcett , TL Schmid , BH Lankenau & J Johnston (2000) Measuring the health environment for physical activity and nutrition among youth: a review for physical activity and applications for community initiatives. Prev Med 31, 98–111.
28. I Ferreira , K van der Horst , W Wendel-Vos , S Kremers , FJ van Lenthe & J Brug (2007) Environmental correlates of physical activity in youth – a review and update. Obes Rev 8, 129–154.
30. A Scott-Samuel & E O’Keefe (2007) Health impact assessment, human rights and global public policy: a critical appraisal. Bull World Health Organ 85, 212–217.
32. LS Elinder (2005) Obesity, hunger, and agriculture: the damaging role of subsidies. BMJ 331, 1333–1336.
34. A Trichopoulou , T Costacou , C Bamia & D Trichopoulos (2003) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. N Engl J Med 348, 2599–2608.
35. W Zatonski & W Willett (2005) Changes in dietary fat and declining coronary heart disease in Poland: population based study. BMJ 331, 187–188.
36. M White (2007) Food access and obesity. Obes Rev 8, Suppl. 1, 99–107.
37. LV Moore & AV Diez Roux (2006) Associations of neighborhood characteristics with the location and type of food stores. Am J Public Health 96, 325–331.
40. J Pearce , T Blakely , K Witten & P Bartie (2007) Neighborhood deprivation and access to fast-food retailing: a national study. Am J Prev Med 32, 375–382.
41. T Pearson , J Russell , MJ Campbell & ME Barker (2005) Do ‘food deserts’ influence fruit and vegetable consumption? – A cross-sectional study. Appetite 45, 195–197.
42. S Cummins , M Petticrew , C Higgins , A Findlay & L Sparks (2005) Large scale food retailing as an intervention for diet and health: quasi-experimental evaluation of a natural experiment. J Epidemiol Community Health 59, 1035–1040.
43. V Inglis , K Ball & D Crawford (2005) Why do women of low socioeconomic status have poorer dietary behaviours than women of higher socioeconomic status? A qualitative exploration. Appetite 45, 334–343.
44. G Turrell , T Blakely , C Patterson & B Oldenburg (2004) A multilevel analysis of socioeconomic (small area) differences in household food purchasing behaviour. J Epidemiol Community Health 58, 208–215.
46. N Wrigley , D Warm & B Margetts (2003) Deprivation, diet, and food-retail access: findings from the Leeds ‘food deserts’ study. Environ Plann 35, 151–188.
47. S Cummins & S Macintyre (2006) Food environments and obesity – neighbourhood or nation? Int J Epidemiol 35, 100–104.
48. S Cummins (2007) Commentary: Investigating neighbourhood effects on health – avoiding the ‘local trap’. Int J Epidemiol 36, 355–357.
50. AE Evans , DK Wilson , J Buck , H Torbett & J Williams (2006) Outcome expectations, barriers, and strategies for healthful eating: a perspective from adolescents from low-income families. Fam Community Health 29, 17–27.
53. K Glanz , JF Sallis , BE Saelens & LD Frank (2007) Nutrition Environment Measures Survey in stores (NEMS-S): development and evaluation. Am J Prev Med 32, 282–289.
54. SA French , M Story , D Neumark-Sztainer , JA Fulkerson & P Hannan (2001) Fast food restaurant use among adolescents: associations with nutrient intake, food choices and behavioral and psychosocial variables. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 1823–1833.
55. SA French , L Harnack & RW Jeffery (2000) Fast food restaurant use among women in the Pound of Prevention study: dietary, behavioral and demographic correlates. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1353–1359.
57. SC Cummins , L McKay & S MacIntyre (2005) McDonald’s restaurants and neighborhood deprivation in Scotland and England. Am J Prev Med 29, 308–310.
58. BE Saelens , K Glanz , JF Sallis & LD Frank (2007) Nutrition Environment Measures Study in restaurants (NEMS-R): development and evaluation. Am J Prev Med 32, 273–281.
59. JP Block , RA Scribner & KB DeSalvo (2004) Fast food, race/ethnicity, and income: a geographic analysis. Am J Prev Med 27, 211–217.
56. J Maddock (2004) The relationship between obesity and the prevalence of fast food restaurants: state-level analysis. Am J Health Promot 19, 137–143.
61. S Macintyre , L McKay , S Cummins & C Burns (2005) Out-of-home food outlets and area deprivation: case study in Glasgow, UK. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2, 16.
62. S Cummins (2007) Neighbourhood food environment and diet: time for improved conceptual models? Prev Med 44, 196–197.
67. M Rasmussen , R Krolner , KI Klepp , L Lytle , J Brug , E Bere & P Due (2006) Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among children and adolescents: a review of the literature. Part I: quantitative studies. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 22.
69. JE Donnelly , DJ Jacobsen , JE Whatley , JO Hill , LL Swift , A Cherrington , B Polk , ZV Tran & G Reed (1996) Nutrition and physical activity program to attenuate obesity and promote physical and metabolic fitness in elementary school children. Obes Res 4, 229–243.
70. RV Luepker , CL Perry , SM McKinlay (1996) Outcomes of a field trial to improve children’s dietary patterns and physical activity. The Child and Adolescent Trial for Cardiovascular Health. CATCH collaborative group. JAMA 275, 768–776.
71. MY Kubik , LA Lytle , PJ Hannan , CL Perry & M Story (2003) The association of the school food environment with dietary behaviors of young adoescents. Am J Public Health 93, 1168–1173.
72. E Bere , MB Veierod , O Skare & KI Klepp (2007) Free school fruit – sustained effect three years later. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 4, 5.
77. K van der Horst , A Oenema , I Ferreira , W Wendel-Vos , K Giskes , F van Lenthe & J Brug (2007) A systematic review of environmental correlates of obesity-related dietary behaviors in youth. Health Educ Res 22, 203–226.
78. SA French , M Story & RW Jeffery (2001) Environmental influences on eating and physical activity. Annu Rev Public Health 22, 309–335.
84. KM Jetter & DL Cassady (2006) The availability and cost of healthier food alternatives. Am J Prev Med 30, 38–44.
86. JD Jensen & S Smed (2007) Cost-effective design of economic instruments in nutrition policy. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 4, 10.
87. A Drewnowski , P Monsivais , M Maillot & N Darmon (2007) Low-energy-density diets are associated with higher diet quality and higher diet costs in French adults. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1028–1032.
89. KB Horgen & KD Brownell (2002) Comparison of price change and health message interventions in promoting healthy food choices. Health Psychol 21, 505–512.
91. AV Diez Roux (2002) Invited commentary: places, people, and health. Am J Epidemiol 155, 516–519.
93. J Brug , FJ van Lenthe & SP Kremers (2006) Revisiting Kurt Lewin how to gain insight into environmental correlates of obesogenic behaviors. Am J Prev Med 31, 525–529.