This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. B Swinburn , T Gill & S Kumanyika (2005) Obesity prevention: a proposed framework for translating evidence into action. Obes Rev 6, 23–33.
4. TL Visscher & JC Seidell (2001) The public health impact of obesity. Annu Rev Public Health 22, 355–375.
5. JC Seidell (1997) Time trends in obesity: an epidemiological perspective. Horm Metab Res 29, 155–158.
6. AE Field , EH Coakley , A Must , JL Spadano , N Laird , WH Dietz , E Rimm & GA Colditz (2001) Impact of overweight on the risk of developing common chronic diseases during a 10-year period. Arch Intern Med 161, 1581–1586.
7. E Ferrannini (1995) Physiological and metabolic consequences of obesity. Metabolism 44, Suppl. 3, S15–S17.
8. M Stern (1995) Epidemiology of obesity and its link to heart disease. Metabolism 44, Suppl. 3, S1–S3.
9. P Bjorntorp (1995) Endocrine abnormalities in obesity. Metabolism 44, Suppl. 3, S21–S30.
11. JP Deslypere (1995) Obesity and cancer. Metabolism 44, Suppl. 3, S24–S27.
12. C Agyemang & R Bhopal (2003) Is the blood pressure of people from African origin adults in the UK higher or lower than that in European origin white people? A review of cross-sectional data. J Hum Hypertens 17, 523–534.
13. C Agyemang , N Bindraban , G Mairuhu , G Montfrans , R Koopmans & K Stronks (2005) Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension among Black Surinamese, South Asian Surinamese and White Dutch in Amsterdam, The Netherlands: the SUNSET study. J Hypertens 23, 1971–1977.
14. A Misra & OP Ganda (2007) Migration and its impact on adiposity and type 2 diabetes. Nutrition 23, 696–708.
15. BN Kumar , HE Meyer , M Wandel , I Dalen & G Holmboe-Ottesen (2006) Ethnic differences in obesity among immigrants from developing countries, in Oslo, Norway. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 684–690.
16. RS Cooper , CN Rotimi , JS Kaufman , EE Owoaje , H Fraser , T Forrester , R Wilks , LK Riste & JK Cruickshank (1997) Prevalence of NIDDM among populations of the African diaspora. Diabetes Care 20, 343–348.
17. A Luke , R Durazo-Arvizu , C Rotimi , TE Prewitt , T Forrester , R Wilks , OJ Ogunbiyi , DA Schoeller , D McGee & RS Cooper (1997) Relation between body mass index and body fat in black population samples from Nigeria, Jamaica, and the United States. Am J Epidemiol 145, 620–628.
18. R Cooper , C Rotimi , S Ataman (1997) Hypertension prevalence in seven populations of African origin. Am J Public Health 87, 160–168.
21. C Agyemang (2006) Rural and city differences in blood pressure and hypertension in Ghana, West Africa. Public Health 120, 525–533.
22. C Agyemang , MA Bruijnzeels & E Owusu-Dabo (2006) Factors associated with hypertension awareness, treatment, and control in Ghana, West Africa. J Hum Hypertens 20, 67–71.
23.WHO Expert Consultation (2004) Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 363, 157–163.
24. M Holdsworth , A Gartner , E Landais , B Maire & F Delpeuch (2004) Perceptions of healthy and desirable body size in urban Senegalese women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 1561–1568.
25. M Siervo , P Grey , OA Nyan & AM Prentice (2005) Urbanization and obesity in The Gambia: a country in the early stages of the demographic transition. Eur J Clin Nutr 60, 455–463.
27. RB Duda , NA Jumah , AG Hill , J Seffah & R Biritwum (2006) Interest in healthy living outweighs presumed cultural norms for obesity for Ghanaian women. Health Qual Life Outcomes 4, 44.
28. HK Wolf , J Tuomilehto , K Kuulasmaa , S Domarkiene , Z Cepaitis , A Molarius , S Sans , A Dobson , U Keil & S Rywik (1997) Blood pressure levels in the 41 populations of the WHO MONICA project. J Hum Hypertens 11, 733–742.
29. J Stevens , D Couper , J Pankow , AR Folsom , BB Duncan , FJ Nieto , D Jones & HA Tyroler (2001) Sensitivity and specificity of anthropometrics for the prediction of diabetes in a biracial cohort. Obes Res 9, 696–705.
30. SG Wannamethee & AG Shaper (1999) Weight change and duration of overweight and obesity in the incidence of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 22, 1266–1272.
31. BJ van den Born , RP Koopmans , JO Groeneveld & GA van Montfrans (2006) Ethnic disparities in the incidence, presentation and complications of malignant hypertension. J Hypertens 24, 2299–2304.
32. LK Fezeu , FK Assah , B Balkau , DS Mbanya , AP Kengne , PK Awah & JC Mbanya (2008) Ten-year changes in central obesity and BMI in rural and urban Cameroon. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16, 1144–1147.
36. S Yusuf , S Reddy , S Ounpuu & S Anand (2001) Global burden of cardiovascular diseases: Part I: general considerations, the epidemiologic transition, risk factors, and impact of urbanization. Circulation 104, 2746–2753.
37. AM Prentice (2006) The emerging epidemic of obesity in developing countries. Int J Epidemiol 35, 93–99.
39. S Wild , G Roglic , A Green , R Sicree & H King (2004) Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 27, 1047–1053.
40. DW Haslam & WP James (2005) Obesity. Lancet 366, 1197–1209.
42. AG Amoah , SK Owusu & S Adjei (2002) Diabetes in Ghana: a community based prevalence study in Greater Accra. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 56, 197–205.
43. K Osei , DP Schuster , AG Amoah & SK Owusu (2003) Diabetes in Africa. Pathogenesis of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus in sub-Saharan Africa: implications for transitional populations. J Cardiovasc Risk 10, 85–96.
44. C Agyemang & E Owusu-Dabo (2008) Prehypertension in the Ashanti region of Ghana, West Africa: an opportunity for early prevention of clinical hypertension. Public Health 122, 19–24.
45. FP Cappuccio , FB Micah , L Emmett , SM Kerry , S Antwi , R Martin-Peprah , RO Phillips , J Plange-Rhule & JB Eastwood (2004) Prevalence, detection, management, and control of hypertension in Ashanti, West Africa. Hypertension 43, 1017–1022.