This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JP Mackenbach , I Stirbu , AJ Roskam et al. (2008) Socioeconomic inequalities in health in 22 European countries. N Engl J Med 358, 2468–2481.
2. JP Mackenbach & AE Kunst (1997) Measuring the magnitude of socio-economic inequalities in health: an overview of available measures illustrated with two examples from Europe. Soc Sci Med 44, 757–771.
3. G Turrell , B Hewitt , C Patterson et al. (2003) Measuring socio-economic position in dietary research: is choice of socio-economic indicator important? Public Health Nutr 6, 191–200.
6. S Sausenthaler , I Kompauer , A Mielck et al. (2007) Impact of parental education and income inequality on children's food intake. Public Health Nutr 10, 24–33.
7. WP James , M Nelson , A Ralph et al. (1997) Socioeconomic determinants of health. The contribution of nutrition to inequalities in health. BMJ 314, 1545–1549.
8. J Huh , NR Riggs , D Spruijt-Metz et al. (2011) Identifying patterns of eating and physical activity in children: a latent class analysis of obesity risk. Obesity (Silver Spring) 19, 652–658.
9. GJ Cutler , A Flood , P Hannan et al. (2011) Multiple sociodemographic and socioenvironmental characteristics are correlated with major patterns of dietary intake in adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 230–240.
10. AM Eloranta , V Lindi , U Schwab et al. (2011) Dietary factors and their associations with socioeconomic background in Finnish girls and boys 6–8 years of age: the PANIC Study. Eur J Cin Nutr 65, 1211–1218.
11. CA Vereecken , E Keukelier & L Maes (2004) Influence of mother's educational level on food parenting practices and food habits of young children. Appetite 43, 93–103.
12. A Hebestreit , K Keimer , H Hassel et al. (2010) What do children understand? Communicating health behavior in a European multicenter study. J Public Health 18, 391–401.
13. A Lamerz , J Kuepper-Nybelen , C Wehle et al. (2005) Social class, parental education, and obesity prevalence in a study of six-year-old children in Germany. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 373–380.
15. LJ Cooke , J Wardle , EL Gibson et al. (2004) Demographic, familial and trait predictors of fruit and vegetable consumption by pre-school children. Public Health Nutr 7, 295–302.
16. W Ahrens , K Bammann , A Siani et al. (2011) The IDEFICS cohort: design, characteristics and participation in the baseline survey. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, Suppl. 1, S3–S15.
17. W Ahrens , K Bammann , S de Henauw et al. (2006) Understanding and preventing childhood obesity and related disorders – IDEFICS: a European multilevel epidemiological approach. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 16, 302–308.
18. K Bammann , J Peplies , I Pigeot et al. (2007) IDEFICS: a multicenter European project on diet- and lifestyle-related disorders in children. Med Klin 102, 230–235.
20. I Huybrechts , C Bornhorst , V Pala et al. (2011) Evaluation of the Children's Eating Habits Questionnaire used in the IDEFICS study by relating urinary calcium and potassium to milk consumption frequencies among European children. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, Suppl. 1, S69–S78.
21. A Lanfer , A Hebestreit , W Ahrens et al. (2011) Reproducibility of food consumption frequencies derived from the Children's Eating Habits Questionnaire used in the IDEFICS study. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, Suppl. 1, S61–S68.
22. S Stomfai , W Ahrens , K Bammann et al. (2011) Intra- and inter-observer reliability in anthropometric measurements in children. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, Suppl. 1, S45–S51.
23. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal et al. (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
24. TJ Cole , KM Flegal , D Nicholls et al. (2007) Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey. BMJ 335, 194.
26. AH Abudayya , H Stigum , Z Shi et al. (2009) Sociodemographic correlates of food habits among school adolescents (12–15 year) in North Gaza Strip. BMC Public Health 9, 185.
27. C Sandvik , R Gjestad , O Samdal et al. (2010) Does socio-economic status moderate the associations between psychosocial predictors and fruit intake in schoolchildren? The Pro Children study. Health Educ Res 25, 121–134.
28. E Suliga (2010) Parental education and living environmental influence on physical development, nutritional habits as well as level of physical activity in Polish children and adolescents. Anthropol Anz 68, 53–66.
30. M Rasmussen , R Krolner , KI Klepp et al. (2006) Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among children and adolescents: a review of the literature. Part I: Quantitative studies. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 22.
31. CE Blake , E Wethington , TJ Farrell et al. (2011) Behavioral contexts, food-choice coping strategies, and dietary quality of a multiethnic sample of employed parents. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 401–407.
33. JD Irala-Estevez , M Groth , L Johansson et al. (2000) A systematic review of socio-economic differences in food habits in Europe: consumption of fruit and vegetables. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 706–714.
36. PA Braveman , C Cubbin , S Egerter et al. (2005) Socioeconomic status in health research: one size does not fit all. JAMA 294, 2879–2888.
37. A Wagstaff & N Watanabe (2003) What difference does the choice of SES make in health inequality measurement? Health Econ 12, 885–890.
38. SM Nilsen , S Krokstad , TL Holmen et al. (2010) Adolescents’ health-related dietary patterns by parental socio-economic position, the Nord-Trondelag Health Study (HUNT). Eur J Public Health 20, 299–305.
39. V Ebenegger , PM Marques-Vidal , A Nydegger et al. (2011) Independent contribution of parental migrant status and educational level to adiposity and eating habits in preschool children. Eur J Clin Nutr 65, 210–218.
40. A Ruijsbroek , AH Wijga , M Kerkhof et al. (2011) The development of socio-economic health differences in childhood: results of the Dutch longitudinal PIAMA birth cohort. BMC Public Health 11, 225.
42. R Groves (2006) Nonresponse rates and nonresponse bias in household surveys. Public Opin Q 70, 646–675.
43. KF Hulshof , JH Brussaard , AG Kruizinga et al. (2003) Socio-economic status, dietary intake and 10 y trends: the Dutch National Food Consumption Survey. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 128–137.